"EMI goes DRM-free on iTunes Store"

  • Jon Noring
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 2, 2007
      EMI and Apple today announced the sale of high-quality non-DRM'd music
      files through iTunes:

      http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070402-emi-to-announced-drm-free-plans-tomorrow-reports.html

      With respect to ebooks, this is a very significant development,
      since it chips away at the appeal of DRM for publishers.

      Jon Noring
    • Bill Janssen
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 2, 2007
        > EMI and Apple today announced the sale of high-quality non-DRM'd music
        > files through iTunes:

        Notes:

        * EMI notes that in their tests, DRM-free music outsells DRM-laden music
        10 to 1.

        * The DRM-free versions will sell for a 30% premium over the
        DRM-laden version.

        * The DRM-free version will also be a higher bit-rate -- twice that of
        the existing DRM-laden version.

        * Apple expects 2.5 million DRM-free songs to be available by the end
        of the year, including labels other than EMI.

        This is really the end of the CD.

        Bill
      • EPIC President
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 2, 2007
          Which matches PRECISELY what Fictionwise says about sales of DRM vs.
          non-DRM e-books. At least, we're seeing consistent numbers.

          Brenna

        • rnmscott@netspace.net.au
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 2, 2007
            Quoting EPIC President <brennalyons3@...>:

            > Which matches PRECISELY what Fictionwise says about sales of DRM vs.
            > non-DRM e-books. At least, we're seeing consistent numbers.
            >
            > Brenna

            That is interesting, Brenna. This list turned me on to fictionwise, and I
            have bought a lot of books from there after joining their club thing.

            I have bought exactly zero DRM books though. When I thought about it, my
            thinking was something like this 'I'd rather take a shot at an independent DRM
            free author than spend time messing around with the encrypted commercial
            product, given I could probably read half the book in the time it takes to
            mess around with it.'

            This email was sent from Netspace Webmail: http://www.netspace.net.au