Re: [ebook-community] Re: DRM leads to copyright infringement

  • Robotech_Master
    Message 1 of 95 , Feb 28, 2007
      On 2/28/07, Kent S. Larsen II <kent@...> wrote:

      > I'm well aware of fair use, and I'm not suggesting that every copy made is
      > illegal. I'm merely pointing out that the average member of the public
      > doesn't really understand copyright. And until copyright law is a
      > universally required high school course or something (I'm not necessarily
      > making that suggestion), I don't think we should be too harsh with the
      > public.

      While copyright education is a nice idea in theory--who's going to teach it?
      The people who came up with this?

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Copyright

      Or this?

      If you thought the whole Evolution vs. Creationism debate was bad, that just
      involves what people believe. When you've got an issue where money is
      involved, anyone from the media industry is going to leave out little things
      like "fair use rights" because it's not in their interest that people learn
      they have a legal right to do things the RIAA and MPAA and other media
      industry groups don't want them doing. And they're going to do everything in
      their considerable financial power to make sure nobody else can either.

      --
      Chris Meadows aka | WWW: http://www.terrania.us | Somebody help,
      Robotech_Master | ICQ: 5477383 AIM: RoboMastr | I'm trapped in

    • Roy Lewis
      Message 95 of 95 , Mar 3, 2007
        I purchase lots of ebooks but refuse to purchase DRM books. I either
        purchase html, or Multiformat from Fictionwise. When they send me offers of
        great best sellers in one of the DRM formats I just delete the message. A
        lot of Authors are loosing my money because I purchase a lot.

        Roy Lewis
        Garland, TX

        Elizabeth Burton writes:
        > If you purchased them from eReader or one of its predecessors that
        > became eReader, all you need to is log in to your bookshelf. The
        > correct information you need to open the encrypted book is listed there.
        >
        > If you have Mobipocket formatted ebooks that were linked to an
        > earlier PDA, I seem to recall you can have those reset to a new one--
        > check with Mobi.

        I don't doubt that if you buy your DRMd ebooks from the right places,
        you can eventually get the DRM reset for a new device, but for
        occasional readers of DRMd ebooks, they're not going to bother,
        they'll just give up, and they'll avoid buying DRMd ebooks altogether.