Cory Doctorow on the future of ebooks in Forbes

  • Jason Turgeon
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2006
      http://www.boingboing.net/2006/12/01/corys_futureofbooks_.html

      Snip: The thing about an e-book is that it's a social object. It wants to
      be copied from friend to friend, beamed from a Palm device, pasted into a
      mailing list. It begs to be converted to witty signatures at the bottom of
      e-mails. It is so fluid and intangible that it can spread itself over your
      whole life. Nothing sells books like a personal recommendation--when I
      worked in a bookstore, the sweetest words we could hear were "My friend
      suggested I pick up...." The friend had made the sale for us, we just had to
      consummate it. In an age of online friendship, e-books trump dead trees for
      word of mouth.

      Snip: What is certain is that every writer who's tried giving away e-books
      to sell books has come away satisfied and ready to do it some more.
      Jason Turgeon
      Publisher, Textbook Revolution
      --
      Visit http://textbookrevolution.org, the web's home for free textbooks and
      educational materials.

    • Chris Smith
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 1, 2006
        On Fri, 1 Dec 2006, Jason Turgeon wrote:

        > http://www.boingboing.net/2006/12/01/corys_futureofbooks_.html

        Worth noting that this is not Cory on BoingBoing. This is Cory
        linking to the Forbes special issue on the future of books, in
        which he has a op-ed (probably what The Economist would call "a
        leader"). The issue appears to cover a lot of ground - not just
        the future of form, but the future of content as well.

        An additional key point - Cory addresses head on the question of
        "But say it does come to pass that electronic books are all
        anyone wants." This topic has come up a number of times here.

        :: ne catapultae tam munitum quod non expugnari pecuna possit :::