Re: [ebook-community] Illustrations......and More

  • Joseph Harris
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2006
      From: bczygan

      This is just a note to ask questions about illustrations and other
      graphic art as it relates to the digital forms that are being talked
      about. I went to elementary school with Jamie Wyeth and my mother
      painted so I am interested in the illustrations that accompany books,
      and now ebooks.
      One of the great pleasures of reading a physical book is enjoying
      great illustrations that may be a part of the experience.Especially
      old books, with their lithographs and sometimes hand colored
      illustrations, can add to the reading experience. I have noticed that
      in the 20th century, the quality and quantity of illustrating in books
      generally faded, probably because of the costs involved. I know this
      is a generalization, but it is my experience.
      I admit to not knowing what the present state of ebook illustration
      is. My contact with ebooks is almost entirely with the free ones such
      as offered by Project Gutenberg, with a little exposure to some
      pirated ones (Mostly technical ones), on P2P. I do notice some good
      cover art on Baen. What else is out there? I am hoping that the
      economies of electronic publishing allow for improvement in the
      quality of accompanying illustration and artwork. I know there are
      some types of books, such as science fiction, that come from a
      background of inexpensive production, where any money was spent only
      on the cover art. This may be part of the definition of the genre. But
      other kinds of books, and their electronic counterparts could have
      more extensive illustrations.
      Electronically published works in some cases need this as a feature to
      make up for the fact that they lack a reasuring physical presence. No
      smell of a leather binding, no touch of a fine paper, no heft of the
      weight of the thing.
      The next step is to ask what other things etexts can offer that
      physical texts can not. Well, graphics, video, interactivity between
      the reader and the story, the author and other readers. One thing that
      electronics offer the consumer with each new model is more features at
      a lower cost. I am hoping that the advantage that electronic
      publishing brings includes not just cost savings but improved features
      in the way of the visual and maybe even the auditory. What is a book
      with illustrations, video and a soundtrack?......Is it a movie, or
      something else?

      Bill

      Bill,

      The question is simple. As a reader are you prepared to pay for it. [I think you are pretty much right about illustration use fading. Much as today, as the market got bigger and bigger it got cheaper and cheaper! ;-)]

      Joseph

      Joseph Harris
      Humor, Toilet, Other Things - the blog by Chacha Joe
      http://www.Looperman-is-ready.com/Toilet_Humour/blog
      The Toilet eBook: When Nature Calls - Looperman is Ready
      http://www.Looperman-is-ready.com
      Recent Activity
      a.. 14New Members
      b.. 2New Links
      Visit Your Group
      a.. Writing book
      b.. Writing a book
      c.. Book writing software
      d.. Writing and publishing a book
      e.. Creative writing book
      Yahoo! TV
      Staying in tonight?

      Check listings to

      see what is on.

      Share Photos
      Put your favorite

      photos and

      more online.

      Search Ads
      Get new customers.

      List your web site

      in Yahoo! Search.
      .

    • Bill Janssen
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2006
        Bill Czygan writes:
        > One of the great pleasures of reading a physical book is enjoying
        > great illustrations that may be a part of the experience.Especially
        > old books, with their lithographs and sometimes hand colored
        > illustrations, can add to the reading experience. I have noticed that
        > in the 20th century, the quality and quantity of illustrating in books
        > generally faded, probably because of the costs involved. I know this
        > is a generalization, but it is my experience.

        I can think of two possible factors. Since radio came in, books have
        been subject to competitive pressures that have reduced the amount of
        money available to spend on their preparation. That might have caused
        publishers to cut down on illustrations. Secondly, the advent of
        color magazines, movies, television, and now the Web has created many
        more opportunities for illustrators than existed at the turn of the
        last century.

        Bill