Re: [eBook-List] Re: eBook-List-Digest V1 #246

  • owner-ebook-list@exemplary.net
    Message 1 of 44 , Mar 1, 2000
      Jerry added ...
      >> literary media, and a different experience in its impacts
      >
      >considered every time you log in to browse the elibrary, you have something
      >more akin to the oral tradition of cultural experiential transmission. You

      This sounds rather profound. I don't quite see the parallel...

      > the dead author and dead tree tradition.

      This choice of phrase has impact, making paper books sound
      rather creepy, as well as obsolete.

      Lee

      --
      Flute Tree the novel
      Fantasia in Green for Silver & Blonde
      Message 44 of 44 , Mar 5, 2000
        On 2 Mar 00, at 8:39, Jeff Kirvin wrote:

        > I read ebooks on a Handspring Visor, a Palm clone. It's the size of a deck
        > of cards, so it's highly portable. It weighs a whopping six ounces. Battery
        > life is a week or more, even with heavy use reading ebooks (due to the
        > processor being essentially "asleep" when not updating the display), and the
        > batteries are easily-swappable, "find 'em anywhere" AAAs. I carry my Visor
        > with me literally everywhere, and it hasn't broken yet, even in Colorado,
        > where we have massive temperature swings. Lastly, I can download and install
        > a book from Peanut Press in about five minutes, start to finish. That's less
        > time that it would take to get in my car and just drive to my local Barnes &
        > Noble, much less buy a book there.

        It sounds like the Handspring Visor holds up well for you, and its
        good to know that someone has produced a reliable piece of
        hardware. Unfortunately this isn't always the case. I used to
        depend on a Notebook myself for about 3 years. The company that
        made it went bankrupt... and 6 months later the clock battery died.
        It was then I found out they had been using a proprietary battery
        (without which it refuses to run) that can't be replaced. Down went
        $2500 of investment. I've been cautious about any portable
        technology ever since.

        > I say take it step further than that. Ditch the encryption and make the
        > tendency for things to circulate on the internet forever work for you.
        > Provide the book downloadable for free, but embed a link inside the book
        > back to your website and ask the reader to use it to pay. Even if only 20%
        > of 100,000 people actually pay for the book, that's still better than only
        > 15,000 buying the encrypted version (and 15,000 would be considered a
        > best-seller ebook by current standards).
        >
        > Ebooks aren't paper books, and the more we stop thinking of them in paper
        > book terms, the more we can come up with innovative ways to make the most of
        > this new medium.

        I agree that Encryption is not a great way to go... and will not be
        buying any ebooks myself that use such or distributing books with
        such limits.

        One thing I've tried is using links in a book to the bibliogrpahy, so
        that readers might buy some of the reference material used to
        develop the book (these are links to Amazon, using my associate
        position with them to earn some money via the sales). These have
        had some success, but would work geater if Amazon didn't keep
        doing things to make it hard for an associate to sell special order
        books (lots of the books I use are obscure books, or small press
        publications, which they consider special orders and don't pay
        commissions on them much of the time).

        I'm looking into a new service right now, paypal.com, which offers
        to handle low volume personal transactions between individuals via
        the net and email that looks promising. Is anyone else here on the
        list using their service at all?

        Joe

        Joe Teller Chief Librarian
        "Isn't It Time To Put Some Fantasy In Your Life?"
        http://www.fantasylibrary.com