Re: I need your help!

  • Richard
    Message 1 of 140 , Dec 1, 2004
      --- In ebook-community@yahoogroups.com, "K. C. Krueger"
      <shippard@b...> wrote:
      > SF" <starfields@b... wrote:
      > <snip>For information transmission, for example, writing an ebook is
      nothing
      > like writing hardcopy.
      >
      > Sentences are shorter, more information dense. There are far more
      > graphics and illustrations, white space (it doesn't cost anything in
      > epublishing and rests the eye), and the whole is designed for on screen
      > reading from top to bottom.<snip>
      > _______________________________________
      >
      > Interestingly, when I expressed this same sentiment to a well-known
      > SF/Fantasy author, who's long been a proponent of independent electronic
      > publishing, he almost literally blew me out of the water. He claimed
      that
      > the exigeancies of writing for print and electronic books were the same.
      > When I disagreed with him, he actually accused me of prostituting my
      art.
      > (In his defense, he's never read ebooks on a wireless device,
      doesn't seem
      > particularly interested in doing so and appears to honestly believe
      what he
      > says.)
      >
      > As an author of fiction ebooks myself, I invested in several wireless
      > ereading devices early on to see if there was, in fact, a difference
      between
      > my own perception of the two. And, oh yes, there most definitely is.
      On a
      > wireless ereader screen, typos, sloppy editing and punctuation
      errors stick
      > out like a sore thumb. So does poor writing, and the smaller the
      screen, the
      > worse it gets.
      >
      > In a fiction ebook aimed at the PDA market, it is essential to keep the
      > story moving. Shorter paragraphs and sentences are important too.
      >
      > The reason for this, frankly, is because the average ebook customer
      > generally has access to an entire library on their device and can
      surf to a
      > different title in a matter of seconds. I know about this at first hand
      > because I do it myself all the time. If a new title fails to hold my
      > attention or I decide I don't like it, there's no problem. Since my
      > investment is relatively minor, I've managed to accumulate quite a
      list of
      > titles I've not only never finished reading, I probably never will.
      >
      > OTOH, the print customer is stuck with that one book wherever they
      happen to
      > be; in bed, on the couch or away from home. Should they change their
      mind
      > and/or become bored with that particular title, they have to either
      > physically go find a different one or do something else. This is one
      of the
      > main reasons why authors get away with many more sins in a printed
      work than
      > an electronic one. In other words, they have a captive audience.
      >
      > IMHO, if you're going to succeed as an ebook author, you not only
      need to be
      > a good writer with interesting subject matter, you must be absolutely
      > meticulous about your editing and presentation.
      >
      > Last but not least, you should thoroughly familiarize yourself with
      ebooks
      > and wireless ereaders from the POV of a consumer in the market at which
      > you're aiming; because one of the most important axioms of *any* new
      > business is that your first customer should be *you*.
      >
      > Freddie aka Kate Saundby
      > shippard@b...
      > http://www.double-dragon-ebooks.com/Authors/KateS.html
      > http://www.authorsden.com/visit/author.asp?AuthorID=1745
      > http://www.fictionwise.com/eBooks/KateSaundbyeBooks.htm

      I'm 63 years old and a compulsive reader. We've lived in this house
      since 1953.

      There are stacks of books arounde the dining room, living room, and my
      bedroom. There is a bookcase right beside my bed.

      So I'm far from a captive audience.

      Since a heart attack back in May, I spend most of my time at home.

      I even have a book on top of the computer here (Actually 7 books at
      the moment).

      Maybe this is why I prefer books with rapid action and not a lot of
      description such as pulp fiction.

      Rick Brooks
    • Skippi
      Message 140 of 140 , Dec 9, 2004
        Hello,

        Thursday, December 9, 2004, 12:13:06 PM, Zakirah Othman wrote:

        > Dear Sir/Madam

        > I'm sorry to used this medium to ask your opinian
        > about author perception in electronic publishing by
        > filling in our questionnaire.

        > Please kindly find the questionnaire at the
        > http://www.zoomerang.com/recipient/survey.zgi?p=WEB223Z9R9CGFM
        > or
        > http://www.zoomerang.com/survey.zgi?p=WEB223Z9R9CGFM.

        > Your kind cooperation is very much appreciated.Thanks.

        > Warm regards

        I think you are sorried (read welcomed) in case you will provide
        results of the survey to the members of this group. Will you?

        --
        Your friend,
        Skippi mailto:skip@...