Re: [ebook-community] Digital Poet makes waves

  • Jay A Hartman
    Message 1 of 40 , Jul 1, 2004
      I think part of the problem is the fact that publishers don't really make
      much of an attempt to publish poetry. I'm not sure if they think it's not
      economically viable or what, but I think there are plenty of categories of
      interest that publishers fail to address, with poetry just being one of
      many.

      Looking at our Ebook Directory, we only have 65 titles listed. Most of
      those we added, and most of those are from 1stBooks/AuthorHouse. That's
      pretty sad, considering our EBD represents 13,000+ titles from over 150
      publishers. Makes you wonder why they don't address these categories?

      Back in 2002, I actually wrote a column about the lack of diversity in ebook
      publishing. For those interested, you can find the article at:

      http://www.knowbetter.com/EditModule.aspx?tabid=69&mid=470&def=News%20Article%20View&ItemId=2108

      David, if you'd like to add your poetry to our Ebook Directory (which is a
      free service for all publishers and authors), you can do that at:

      http://www.knowbetter.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=89

      Let me know if you'd like to get setup as a publisher to list all of your
      titles.

      Best,
      Jay Hartman
      Content Editor
      KnowBetter.com: For Everything Ebook
      http://www.knowbetter.com

      Message 40 of 40 , Jul 15, 2004
        On Thu, 15 Jul 2004, Roy Lewis Comcast wrote:

        > I have always felt that a Reader in open format was the real problem
        > with the OEBF project. That and a generic open source compiler for
        > OEBF.
        > Now if we could get an open source reader that will recognize all
        > formats then real progress can be made with e-books and providing every
        > published book in e-book format. As long as you have to purchase a
        > specific device to read an e-book then the technology will never move
        > forward as it should.

        I'm afraid this has been a heated topic of discussion as long as there
        have been eBooks. . .I remember spending HUGE amounts of time converting
        the U.S. Constitution from format to format way back before hardly anyone
        had heard of eBooks. This file was written in the mid 70's and I converted
        it in the early 80's so a wider audience could read it.

        But even back then there were hard core people who thought it should only
        be made available in their own favorite format, and didn't want their name
        on any files in any other formats.

        The end result of limited formats and limited distribution is a limited
        audience. . .but that is the whole point of many modern business plans.

        Years ago I suggested a test that would place two books, perhaps even a b
        book and sequel, in both open an closed formats, each for the same price,
        and see which brought in more profits.

        Michael