Re: OEBPS Compiler

  • q@qond.org
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 1, 2004
      --- In ebook-community@yahoogroups.com, "Roy Lewis" <dadlewis@c...> wrote:
      > Is there a MSWord, Word Perfect, or other compiler for OEBPS that is
      > available to the common e-book Author? (some writers would like to
      > concentrate in creating a literary work and not have to worry about
      > different Computer Formats)

      This won't get you all the way, but you can - if the author uses
      styles in MSWord properly, that is, consistently - save the word file
      to HTML and then use HTML Tidy to clean it up.

      In theory this gives you a clean html file you can then work over
      manually into OEBPS according to spec.

      There are two problems however: first getting authors to use styles.
      This can be a problem even if you provide them with templates to begin
      with. The second problem is that MSWord does a pretty bad job at
      exporting to HTML, so bad that not even HTML Tidy can save it. My
      experience is with Word2000 on the Windows platform, styling RTF books
      with chapter titles as Heading styles, and so forth. (Title is Heading
      1, Part is Heading 2, Chapter is Heading 3, and so forth.) Sometimes
      Word will translate the font styling of the chapter title, and ignore
      the structural style (like, Heading 3 becomes <h3>). So the chapter
      title is just "Font=ariel, 14 point, bold" which garbage HTML Tidy
      properly eliminates.

      Microsoft does a bad job at dealing with open standards, unfortunately.

      steve
    • auwg
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 1, 2004
        --- In ebook-community@yahoogroups.com, q@q... wrote:
        > This won't get you all the way, but you can - if the author uses
        > styles in MSWord properly, that is, consistently - save the word
        file
        > to HTML and then use HTML Tidy to clean it up.
        > In theory this gives you a clean html file you can then work over
        > manually into OEBPS according to spec.

        Simpler way:
        Save your work as an .RTF file.
        Get Arachnophilia (free) and let it convert your .RTF to clean .HTML.

        OEBPS won't become the ebook standard construction format until
        plugins for the common WP programs are available. Anyone who tells
        you such plugins are impossible is vastly mistaken, because variants
        already exist.

        For the moment OEBPS is like early Linux... for those who like to
        mess with persnickity coding details.

        I'm in the process of switching to Linux, but I waited _years_ for a
        Linux package to appear that installs itself and runs without hangups
        or mandatory tweakings on a fairly wide range of home computers.

        Xandros Deluxe 2 installed with about 5 mouse clicks and hasn't
        crashed or locked up since I installed it (October).

        Open Office Suite came with it and seems well able to handle all my
        Palm, WP, and bookkeeping requirements, so it looks as if I'll be
        completely rid of Windows fairly soon.
        Ed Howdershelt - Abintra Press
        Science Fiction and Semi-Fiction
        http://abintrapress.tripod.com
        At Fictionwise: http://tinyurl.com/26v45
        At Mobipocket: http://tinyurl.com/239v3
        At Ebookad: http://tinyurl.com/2nbue
        At Powell's: http://tinyurl.com/2rxsj
        At Amazon: http://tinyurl.com/2d3l5
      • pq
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 2, 2004
          "auwg" wrote:

          > q@q... wrote:
          >
          >>This won't get you all the way, but you can - if the author uses
          >>styles in MSWord properly, that is, consistently - save the word
          > file
          >
          >>to HTML and then use HTML Tidy to clean it up.
          >
          > Simpler way:
          > Save your work as an .RTF file.
          > Get Arachnophilia (free) and let it convert your .RTF to clean .HTML.

          Thanks for the tip, Ed. I've downloaded Arachnophilia and
          will give it a shake.

          steve
        • Matthew T. Russotto
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 2, 2004
            wrote:
            > I question this because there is an Macro to attach to MSWord that
            does
            > this in order to create an OEBFF or IMP file for use in the
            REB1200. It
            > offers a selection for cover art and even encryption along with the
            type
            > of output that is formatted like the author wishes. It is "Softbook
            > Personal Publisher" and it outputs several formats: OEBFF Container,
            > Softbook edition (imp) and encrypted Softbook.

            The OEBFF (Open E-Book File Format, but never actually endorsed by
            the Open E-Book Forum, as far as I know) is a MIME multi-part
            encapsulation of the various documents which make up an OEBPS
            publication. The one Softbook Personal Publisher uses isn't quite
            compatible with actual MIME.

            The Softbook native format is essentially unrelated to OEBPS.
          • Jon Noring
            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 2, 2004
              Matthew T. Russotto wrote:

              > The OEBFF (Open E-Book File Format, but never actually endorsed by
              > the Open E-Book Forum, as far as I know) is a MIME multi-part
              > encapsulation of the various documents which make up an OEBPS
              > publication. The one Softbook Personal Publisher uses isn't quite
              > compatible with actual MIME.
              >
              > The Softbook native format is essentially unrelated to OEBPS.

              I'll have to dig up the draft spec in question (to verify the name of
              the spec) but in the early days of OEBPS development a draft spec was
              submitted for encapsulating/wrapping the file set of an OEBPS
              Publication. At the time the focus was on the OEBPS Specification
              itself, so the encapsulation spec was put on the "back burner" where
              it has remained since.

              Jon Noring
            • dadlewis@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 2, 2004
                I understand this discussion but my point was that it was/is possible to create an output from a MSWord document in an OEB format (sure this is not exact but could be updated). This could be done to other programs also to provide the formatting and appearance that a Writer/Author/Editor would like to see in his/her work. This could be a standard for WWW publishers to require to output in the needed device or desktop format with or without encryption as needed or desired.

                --
                Roy Lewis
                dadlewis@...
                > --- In ebook-community@yahoogroups.com, "Roy Lewis" <dadlewis@c...>
                > wrote:
                > > I question this because there is an Macro to attach to MSWord that
                > does
                > > this in order to create an OEBFF or IMP file for use in the
                > REB1200. It
                > > offers a selection for cover art and even encryption along with the
                > type
                > > of output that is formatted like the author wishes. It is "Softbook
                > > Personal Publisher" and it outputs several formats: OEBFF Container,
                > > Softbook edition (imp) and encrypted Softbook.
                >
                > The OEBFF (Open E-Book File Format, but never actually endorsed by
                > the Open E-Book Forum, as far as I know) is a MIME multi-part
                > encapsulation of the various documents which make up an OEBPS
                > publication. The one Softbook Personal Publisher uses isn't quite
                > compatible with actual MIME.
                >
                > The Softbook native format is essentially unrelated to OEBPS.

              • GLB Publishers
                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 2, 2004
                  > I understand this discussion but my point was that it was/is possible to
                  create an output from a MSWord document in an OEB format (sure this is not
                  exact but could be updated). This could be done to other programs also to
                  provide the formatting and appearance that a Writer/Author/Editor would like
                  to see in his/her work. This could be a standard for WWW publishers to
                  require to output in the needed device or desktop format with or without
                  encryption as needed or desired.
                  > ----------------
                  I have asked this before and will ask again: since Word Perfect claims to
                  convert to XML, does this output work, accomplish anything toward the
                  "universal" format? Or does it introduce more errors than it gains in
                  formatting? I avoid MSWord as much as possible, even though Microsoft has
                  been one of the members of the OEB Committee or whatever it is called.

                  W. L. (Bill) Warner
                  GLB Publishers®
                • NetWorker
                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 2, 2004
                    GLB Publishers wrote:

                    > I have asked this before and will ask again: since Word Perfect claims to
                    > convert to XML, does this output work, accomplish anything toward the
                    > "universal" format?

                    It accomplishes something, but not very much. You see, XML is not a document
                    format, but rather a format for a format. XHTML is XML with HTML elements.
                    DocBook is XML with DocBook elements. The "Web page" output from M$Word is XML
                    with some HTML elements and some Micro$oft elements. XSL is XML with
                    eXtensible Stylesheet Language elements, although any other XML element is
                    also accepted. SOAP (Simple Object Access Protocol) is XML with SOAP elements.
                    XML Signature is XML with elements from the Digital Signature name space, and
                    XML Schema is XML with elements designed to describe other XML formats.

                    XML is very useful for programmers because it gives us a way to parse
                    arbitrary data into a generalized structure which we can then search and
                    manipulate in known standard ways (a DOM tree).

                    Because XML is easy to parse and manipulate, and because there is a rich set
                    of programming tools to accomplish these tasks, if two formats are
                    functionally close to each other it is fairly simple to transform files from
                    one XML format to another. XSLT (XSL Transformations) is designed to transform
                    XML documents into other XML documents using different vocabularies. An XSL
                    file (which is itself an XML file) describes how one document vocabulary can
                    be transformed into a second document vocabulary.

                    HTML is a vocabulary understood by a plethora of applications. Some of these
                    applications are User Agents which display the data in a user-comprehensible
                    form (e.g. web browsers, MobiPocket Reader, or µBook Reader) and other
                    applications use HTML as an input format for further transformations into
                    other non-XML based formats (e.g. Palm Digital Media's DropBook).

                    The Open eBook Publication Structure's document format (mime-type
                    text/x-oeb-document) is a pure subset of XHTML (if you resist the temptation
                    to add your own arbitrary elements) so that makes it a good choice for a
                    canonical format from which all others are derived.

                    So, if we could get some sort of description of WordPerfect's XML format (the
                    DTD is probably good enough if the element names are highly descriptive, and
                    there are plenty of comments in the file) we could then write an XSL file
                    which would permit us to transform the WordPerfect XML into OEB-compliant
                    XHTML; once we have OEB-compliant XHTML the world is our oyster.

                    Of course, its very possible that WordPerfect can save files directly as
                    XHTML, and if you've been careful not to use any non-OEB markup the
                    transformation step is unnecessary.
                  • auwg
                    Message 9 of 20 , Mar 2, 2004
                      --- pq <q@q...> wrote:
                      > "auwg" wrote:
                      > > q@q... wrote:
                      > >>to HTML and then use HTML Tidy to clean it up.
                      > >
                      > > Simpler way:
                      > > Save your work as an .RTF file.
                      > > Get Arachnophilia (free) and let it convert your .RTF to
                      clean .HTML.

                      > Thanks for the tip, Ed. I've downloaded Arachnophilia and
                      > will give it a shake.
                      > steve

                      Suggestion for conversion speed:
                      If you aren't running the latest, greatest computer, feed the RTF
                      file to Arachno in 100/150K chunks for best speed.
                      A 1-meg file in ten quick loads/saves takes about five minutes. The
                      same file in one big piece... well, go play with the cat, make a
                      coffee, check the mail, wash the car, etc...

                      Check the results for stray tables in odd places, too, which is what
                      it does with errant tabs.
                      It turns out clean, simple HTML quickly if you don't overload it.
                      Ed Howdershelt - Abintra Press
                      Science Fiction and Semi-Fiction
                      http://abintrapress.tripod.com
                      http://www.fictionwise.com/servlet/mw?t=author&ai=10823&id=95920
                    • Bill Janssen
                      Message 10 of 20 , Mar 2, 2004
                        Matthew Russotto writes:
                        > The OEBFF (Open E-Book File Format, but never actually endorsed by
                        > the Open E-Book Forum, as far as I know) is a MIME multi-part
                        > encapsulation of the various documents which make up an OEBPS
                        > publication.

                        As far as I can tell, it's not really a MIME multipart format, in that
                        it's not registered in the IANA registry at
                        http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/multipart/. Or does it
                        use one of the existing multipart subtypes, say "related"?

                        Who designed it? Where's the spec, any idea?

                        Bill
                      • Jon Noring
                        Message 11 of 20 , Mar 2, 2004
                          Bill Janssen wrote:
                          > Matthew Russotto writes:

                          >> The OEBFF (Open E-Book File Format, but never actually endorsed by
                          >> the Open E-Book Forum, as far as I know) is a MIME multi-part
                          >> encapsulation of the various documents which make up an OEBPS
                          >> publication.

                          > As far as I can tell, it's not really a MIME multipart format, in that
                          > it's not registered in the IANA registry at
                          > http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/multipart/. Or does it
                          > use one of the existing multipart subtypes, say "related"?
                          >
                          > Who designed it? Where's the spec, any idea?

                          Well, if you join OeBF or become an invited expert in any of its
                          working groups, you will have access to the draft spec! <smile/>

                          However, because it is still a preliminary working draft, even if over
                          four years old, I do not feel free to distribute it in public without
                          proper authorization from OeBF and/or the Chair of PSWG.

                          However, I can say that it was authored in November of 1999 by people
                          from both SoftBook Press and NuvoMedia (well before they were absorbed
                          by Gemstar) with the intent it be turned over to OeBF/PSWG for
                          finalizing and publishing as an open standards specification.

                          But I will reproduce here the Purpose and Scope section of the draft
                          OEBFF document I have before me -- it does not reveal anything
                          specific about the draft specification and outlines the basic reasons
                          for the specification:

                          1.1 Purpose and Scope

                          The purpose of the Open eBook File Format is to provide a
                          specification for exchange of electronic books. Specifically:

                          o The specification provides a format in which an electronic
                          publication can be easily and efficiently transferred between
                          content providers, tool providers, booksellers and reading
                          systems as a single file.

                          o The specification permits security, authentication and digital
                          rights management, but does not specify the details of such
                          systems.

                          o The specification specifies a means by which content compression
                          may be accomplished.

                          o The specification reflects established container standards.

                          The goal of this specification is to provide a structure within which
                          interoperable electronic book systems can operate today and evolve in
                          the future. This specification is based on the premise that in order
                          for electronic book technology to achieve widespread success in the
                          marketplace, reading systems must have convenient access to a large
                          number and variety of titles.

                          Maybe at a future time PSWG, or some other OeBF working group, will
                          take up the banner of a standardized wrapper/encapsulator for OEBPS
                          Publications. It is more likely the standard will come from outside of
                          OeBF, though.

                          Jon Noring
                        • Jim Drew
                          Message 12 of 20 , Mar 3, 2004
                            From: "Matthew T. Russotto" <russotto@...>

                            >--- In ebook-community@yahoogroups.com, "Roy Lewis" <dadlewis@c...>
                            >wrote:
                            > > I question this because there is an Macro to attach to MSWord that does
                            > > this in order to create an OEBFF or IMP file for use in the REB1200. It
                            >> offers a selection for cover art and even encryption along with the type
                            >> of output that is formatted like the author wishes. It is "Softbook
                            >> Personal Publisher" and it outputs several formats: OEBFF Container,
                            >> Softbook edition (imp) and encrypted Softbook.
                            >
                            >The OEBFF (Open E-Book File Format, but never actually endorsed by
                            >the Open E-Book Forum, as far as I know) is a MIME multi-part
                            >encapsulation of the various documents which make up an OEBPS
                            >publication. The one Softbook Personal Publisher uses isn't quite
                            >compatible with actual MIME.
                            >
                            >The Softbook native format is essentially unrelated to OEBPS.

                            Actually, the .oeb file created by Personal Publisher was an
                            intermediate format which was then acted on to create the .imp file
                            (or could be fed to Professional Publisher). So there's a tight
                            relationship, but there was a lot of further operation that occurred
                            to format and paginate and such to get the .imp. It wasn't merely a
                            wrapper.
                            --

                            -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
                            Jim Drew Seattle, WA ciaopubs@...

                            http://home.earthlink.net/~rubberize/Weblog/index.html (Update: 03/03)
                          • NetWorker
                            Message 13 of 20 , Mar 4, 2004
                              Jon Noring wrote:

                              > Bill Janssen wrote:
                              >
                              >>Matthew Russotto writes:
                              >>
                              >>>The OEBFF (Open E-Book File Format, but never actually endorsed by
                              >>>the Open E-Book Forum, as far as I know) is a MIME multi-part
                              >>>encapsulation of the various documents which make up an OEBPS
                              >>>publication.
                              >
                              >>As far as I can tell, it's not really a MIME multipart format, in that
                              >>it's not registered in the IANA registry at
                              >>http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/multipart/. Or does it
                              >>use one of the existing multipart subtypes, say "related"?
                              >>
                              >>Who designed it? Where's the spec, any idea?
                              >>

                              > Well, if you join OeBF or become an invited expert in any of its
                              > working groups, you will have access to the draft spec! <smile/>

                              In my mind, this is one of the biggest flaws in the OeBF's processes: there is
                              not enough communication between the working groups and the public at large.
                              There is a large body of computer professionals who are interested in e-books,
                              yet these professionals have no idea what the OeBF working groups are planning
                              until it is too late to offer any meaningful input. A system where there are
                              no "secret" drafts, similar to the IETF would be much better, and undoubtedly
                              more efficient.
                            • NetWorker
                              Message 14 of 20 , Mar 4, 2004
                                Roy Lewis wrote:

                                >>Roy Lewis wrote:
                                >>
                                >>>Is there a MSWord, Word Perfect, or other compiler for
                                >>>OEBPS that is
                                >>>available to the common e-book Author? (some writers would like to
                                >>>concentrate in creating a literary work and not have to worry about
                                >>>different Computer Formats)
                                >>>
                                >>NetWorker wrote:

                                >>No, and there is not likely to be one, because the Open e-Book
                                >>Publication
                                >>Structure (OEBPS) is not a format, it is a ... Publication Structure.
                                >>
                                > I question this because there is an Macro to attach to MSWord that does
                                > this in order to create an OEBFF or IMP file for use in the REB1200. It
                                > offers a selection for cover art and even encryption along with the type
                                > of output that is formatted like the author wishes. It is "Softbook
                                > Personal Publisher" and it outputs several formats: OEBFF Container,
                                > Softbook edition (imp) and encrypted Softbook.
                                > The cover art is part of the Word document but could be an add-on as a
                                > separate selection choice including icon art and front page and back
                                > page as in the LIT macro. The OEBFF container could be simply a zip
                                > formatted package but I do not know.

                                If the OEBFF container is based on MIME, as others have suggested, it ought to
                                be a pure ASCII file that can be opened and examined in any simple text
                                editor. I would be very interested in examining this format, and if you (or
                                anyone) has an example of this file that you could send me I would be very
                                grateful.

                                As to your desire for a "M$Word Macro" (understanding that this is a generic
                                concept, and not necessarily a specific product), something like this already
                                exists. There is a M$Word plugin currently available that converts a M$Word
                                document to a M$Reader .lit file. A M$Reader file is nothing more that a
                                proprietary wrapper around an OEBPS package. Thus you can create an OEBPS
                                package (more or less) from M$Word by saving your document as a .lit file,
                                then using the ConvertLit program (www.convertlit.com) to extract the OEBPS
                                package from the resulting file.

                                The problem with this method is that M$Word does not really store the document
                                in the M$Reader file as an OEB document (mime type text/x-oeb1-document) but
                                rather as a M$Word XML file which uses a super-set of the XHTML vocabulary, so
                                you are still left with the problem of creating a compliant document file.

                                Returning to my culinary analogy, the kind of tool you are talking about _is_
                                possible so long as your meal is no more complex than opening and warming a
                                can of Campbell's soup. A word processing document is composed of a single
                                text file with perhaps some associated images. If your word processor can save
                                files as XHTML, it isn't hard to create an OEBPS "recipe" file (.opf) that
                                lists the XHTML document as the only entry in the spine, and the XHTML
                                document and the associated image files as entries in the manifest, and leaves
                                the rest of the file mostly empty. Suppose you want your package to contain
                                information about the e-book such as title, author's name, copyright date,
                                copyright holder, publisher's name, etc. There is no well-established way of
                                deriving this information from the document, so the plugin is going to have to
                                ask for that information at the time the package is created. Maybe you have a
                                cover image that is not part of the word processing document itself; one more
                                data item that's going to have to be solicited by the plugin.

                                Have you created a Table of Contents? Do you want one? How is the User Agent
                                going to know where to find the Table of Contents inside your document? This
                                information can be stored in the package file that we are creating, but how
                                does the plugin get the information? All of these issues can be resolved (it
                                is a simple matter of programming) but by the time we've solved all these
                                problems we're a long way from a macro or plugin, and almost all the way to a
                                new application that manages .opf file -- a lot like MobiPocket Publisher.

                                At this point, wouldn't it just be easier to save the document file as XHTML
                                and use a tool like MobiPocket Publisher to create the OEBPS package?

                                > I am not enough of a skilled programmer to do this and do not have the
                                > time to try and learn all that is needed to create this kind of a
                                > package but it looks like that should be a function of the OEB working
                                > group.
                                >
                                > The "open-source LiberGNU project" may be the saving grace for this
                                > concept. Could you provide us with more information on it and how far
                                > along it is on getting a beta product.

                                Unfortunately, I haven't had the time to follow the project as closely as I
                                would have liked (or to participate as I would also like). Technical details
                                can be found at http://sourceforge.net/projects/openberg/ and
                                http://www.libergnu.org/ (it's helful if you read Italian).
                              • NetWorker
                                Message 15 of 20 , Mar 4, 2004
                                  Bill Janssen wrote:

                                  > Matthew Russotto writes:
                                  >
                                  >>The OEBFF (Open E-Book File Format, but never actually endorsed by
                                  >>the Open E-Book Forum, as far as I know) is a MIME multi-part
                                  >>encapsulation of the various documents which make up an OEBPS
                                  >>publication.
                                  >>

                                  > As far as I can tell, it's not really a MIME multipart format, in that
                                  > it's not registered in the IANA registry at
                                  > http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/multipart/. Or does it
                                  > use one of the existing multipart subtypes, say "related"?

                                  You're spot on Bill. Mr. Lewis was kind enough to send me the OEBFF version of
                                  Thomas Paine's "Common Sense" (which is eerily topical in these days of
                                  Homeland Security). The file is simple ASCII and opened right up in WordPad;
                                  the first four lines are:

                                  The document in the first section was headed:

                                  and is a more or less standard .opf file. The <dc-metadata> section contained
                                  only the title, author and a couple of 32 digit hexadecimal identifiers that
                                  look like DCE-style UUIDs, but there were 22 lines of what appears to be
                                  SoftBook specific data in the <x-metadata> section. As I suspected, the
                                  manifest contained a reference to the single text file, and the spine
                                  contained a reference to the single manifested entry.

                                  The document in the second section was headed:

                                  and is apparently an XHTML file (I didn't look closely, but it even looks like
                                  it's OEBPS-compliant, not that bloated crap that M$Word produces). Even though
                                  the Content-Transfer-Encoding was specified as binary, the data itself was
                                  straight, uncompressed ASCII.

                                  Presumably binary data, such as JPEG images, could also be included by using
                                  uuencoding or base64 encoding, but there was no binary data in the file Mr.
                                  Lewis sent me.
                                • Robotech_Master
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Mar 5, 2004
                                    NetWorker (networker@...) wrote in message
                                    <4042645F.6090903@...>:

                                    > A software tool which could take a manuscript and extrapolate an
                                    > e-book structure from it would be like a software tool which could
                                    > take a list of ingredients and extrapolate a recipe, or perhaps like
                                    > a program which could take a dictionary and re-arrange the words
                                    > into sentences and paragraphs, with a coherent plot and realistic
                                    > characterization.

                                    And yet, there are machines that have simple recipes hard-wired into
                                    them where you give them the ingredients and they mix and cook them
                                    for you. We call them bread machines. The bread they make is not
                                    quite as *good* as home-made (according to bread bakers) but a darned
                                    sight easier to make (and better than the wimpy presliced stuff you
                                    buy in stores).

                                    This may be what the original poster was asking about...a way to turn
                                    Word into an "ebook bread machine". Heck, I know that Word already
                                    has methods of generating tables of contents--I learned that from my
                                    Desktop Publishing class a few years back. And it can handle
                                    illustrations within its text, too. Perhaps someone could write a
                                    plugin that would use Word's pre-formatting to crank out an
                                    OEB...maybe not as good an OEB as one that was hand-crafted, but close
                                    enough for government work.
                                    --
                                    Chris Meadows aka | If this post helped or entertained you, please rate
                                    Robotech_Master | it at http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=robotech
                                    | Homepage: http://www.eyrie.org/~robotech
                                  • GLB Publishers
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Mar 5, 2004