Re: [ebook-community] eAuthors and making a living

  • K. C. Krueger
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2002
      Michael Hart" <hart@... wrote:
      <snip>Well. . .it was very well written and covered most of the basic areas.

      But. . .

      It left out ANY responses to the previous suggestions to overthrow the
      current "studio system" as has had to be done in all venues:

      Hollywood [Finally broken by Four Star Productions {Four stars did it}
      Baseball [Anyone remember the first "free agent" lawsuits?
      Football
      Basketball
      Hockey
      Soccer [Perhaps this one was first]
      Slavery [Well maybe THIS one was first]
      Indentured Servitude

      of course, no one ever really EXPECTS the Spanish Inquisition. . . .<snip>
      ______________________________________

      Thanks Michael. Couldn't have put it better myself.

      No matter what, there will always be some exception which proves the rule
      and I'm happy for her that Judith is doing so well. However, as a fiction
      author, what I do is *write* and I have neither the interest nor the
      inclination to go the Dan Poynter route, thank you very much. Besides that,
      I hold down a demanding full-time job and simply cannot go haring off on
      book promotion trips whenever.... I also live in the country, where shopping
      malls and brick and mortar bookstores are few and far between, so my
      opportunities for booksignings etc. are virtually non-existent anyway.

      Before signing with my first royalty-paying publisher in 1998, I did
      self-publish three of my titles, and don't care to go through that again.
      However, just because I'm with a royalty-paying publisher doesn't mean I
      don't promote my books myself. Of course, I do. But discreetly.

      As Michael points out, right now the indies and their authors are up against
      a draconian distribution cartel which has literally locked them out,
      especially when it comes to print.

      Having two out of three previous publishers stiff me out of most of my
      royalties didn't help, and the third, beside stiffing me, didn't know squat
      about marketing. The publisher I'm with now is taking some really creative
      approaches to the marketing dilemma and he and I seem to be of like mind in
      that regard.

      As for indentured servitude, just ask any mid-list author with a major New
      York print publishing house what that means and you're liable to get an
      earful.

      Independent electronic publishing, OTOH, because of its cost vs. earnings
      ratio, is redressing the fiscal balance between publisher and author, and
      allowing good editors to go back to what they do best: which is edit. So, in
      that regard, let's take publishers out of Michael's original equation too.

      Print published authors should not be having to spend their entire advances
      publicly humiliating themselves in order to beat a stupid 90-day make or
      break deadline and I refuse to do it. That's why I didn't go the
      conventional query route, and I've never regretted that decision.

      Freddie aka Kate Saundby
      shippard@...
      http://www.realmofnublis.com
      http://double-dragon-ebooks.com/