E-Touring

  • Pete Kellermann
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 25, 2009
      Hi Folks,

      Looks like not too many people are into e-bike touring. Can I say "Hello is their anyone out their" I'm new to this group but I have been into e-bikes for a long time. My first e-bike was when I was 14 years old when I mounted a 1932 ford generator on a English 3 speed bicycle in 1959. I rewired the generator to make a motor out of it and mount a 6 volt car battery on the bike. In those day 6 volt was a common system in cars. I chain drove to the three speed hub. It worked good till one day my mother discover a pair of pants of mine where the whole crouch was gone, eat away by the acid vapors from the battery right below the seat. The bike had to go. I later experiment coupling in an old windshield wiper motor like a derailleur on the back of a ten speed bike. It worked but needed more power.

      I never loss site of electric assist bicycles and a few years back when I was in an RV shop they had a Carrie E-Folder on the floor, I had to have it. It wasn't too hard to convince my wife I had to have this bike, I normally ride 12 mile each way to work each day but I had developed some problems in one leg and was have trouble riding, the e-bike would make up for my bad leg.

      One thing I away loved doing ever since I was a kid was loading my bike up with camping gear and going traveling so naturally when I got this e-bike I had to give it a spot. There is a state park about 35 miles away from my house, I have made the trip many time on a ordinary bicycle but now it was on E-Bike. It was 35 very hilly miles and I know I was very over weight with the camp gear but I was on my way. Naturally the battery would never last to 35 miles so I just used it for the very steepest of hills and that one last killer mountain climb to the camp grounds. I had all day to make it so I took my time. I made it up there sooner than I thought I would and sure was nice not deading on that last climb like usual. I even went out for a little ride after I set up camp. I was carrying three days wrought of supplies including food with me plus tent and sleeping bag. The next day I went on a 50 mile ride around the local area after recharging the battery. On the third day I packed everything back up and headed home. I have since repeated that trip several time.

      I now own a Giant Suede too. I didn't get a chance to do any trips last year but I hope to this year. I am posting some pictures of my Carrie loaded down with camping gear and touring the country side.

      To the owner of this group, I see it has been in existence for a number of years but has gone no where's, don't feel bad, I have created a few groups myself that have done the same, now I have a group that is growing like a weed with new members rolling in every day. It is a different subject than this group. Problem with this group is most people don't think of E-Bikes for touring so they never find their way here.

      I have to look high and low around my neck of the woods to find a bike shop that carries e-bikes. We have a large number of the population that is into bicycling but to most purest bicyclist, they look down their noise at an e-bike. They think they are so most better and no bike shop around here wants to risk losing any customers do to the fact that they aren't pure. To those riders, I hope you don't get caught in the rain, you liable to drown with your nose so up in the air. And by the way, I will be greener than you ever will, how can you say you are green when you load your very expensive bicycle on the back of your big SUV to take it somewhere to ride for an hour. I will ride my E-Bike all day without burning a drop of gasoline!!!

      Now that I have lite this fire, lets see what perhaps!!!!!!

      Pete Kellermann
      Southeastern Pa.
    • LS
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 25, 2009
        Pete,

        Finally there is life out there. there are lots of e-groups available and they have the scoup on where to find e-bicycles and e-kits for bicycles. Here is one group. I moderate it so you are welcome to join.

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 27, 2009
          I thought I'd start this group to see if others harbored any interest in ebike touring. Since then Justin has completed a trans-Canada trip:

          http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=7134

          Someone is planning a Beijing to London trip:

          http://www.electricbicycleworldtour.com/?page_id=58

          I finally have some decent batteries, LiFePO4 36v 10 and 20amp. The motor I want is a Nine Continent rear hub motor that I will put a track gear on and use to chain-drive the rear wheel, allowing the motor to use its 8 gears, the bike having a front-wheel pedal drive giving two-wheel drive with the motor.

          I've considered towing a stacked array of lite solar panels that could be unfolded a couple of times a day to recharge. My latest idea is to tow a train of panels that could provide most of the power directly. The bike and train of solar trailers would be long but narrow. Since most travel would be east/west, the panels could be tilted towards the sun much of the time (wind permitting).