Copying Samples

  • steve@easynn.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 16, 2006
      The next version of EasyNN-plus will copy the sample files from the
      installation folder \Program Files\EasyNN-plus\Samples to
      \Documents and Settings\ user \My Documents\EasyNN-plus\Samples

      This is to avoid security and file access issues with Windows.

      Will this cause any problems?

      http://www.easynn.com
    • John Williams
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 16, 2006
        steve@... wrote:
        > The next version of EasyNN-plus will copy the sample files from the
        > installation folder \Program Files\EasyNN-plus\Samples to
        > \Documents and Settings\ user \My Documents\EasyNN-plus\Samples
        >
        > This is to avoid security and file access issues with Windows.
        >
        > Will this cause any problems?

        Documents and Settings\ user \My Documents is where most changes are
        made. This is where I prefer to store my personal files. It makes
        backing-up of current files easier, rather than selecting several
        different folders on the hard drive.
      • steve@easynn.com
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 16, 2006
          On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 13:34:10 +0100, you wrote:

          >Documents and Settings\ user \My Documents is where most changes are
          >made. This is where I prefer to store my personal files. It makes
          >backing-up of current files easier, rather than selecting several
          >different folders on the hard drive.

          Are you OK with subfolders in "My Documents"? I'm trying to follow
          Microsoft's recommendations.

          http://www.easynn.com
        • John Williams
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 16, 2006
            steve@... wrote:

            > Are you OK with subfolders in "My Documents"? I'm trying to follow
            > Microsoft's recommendations.

            OK by me.
          • Jerald Jones
            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 16, 2006
              Ok by me.

              Jerald Jones

              >> Are you OK with subfolders in "My Documents"? I'm trying to follow
              >> Microsoft's recommendations.
              >>

              > OK by me.
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • P. Dickens
              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 20, 2006
                From our point of view, My documents in "Documents and Settings" is an
                absolute bain and disaster.

                It is the biggest pest Directory ever created on any Microsoft system
                since using Dos Version 2.

                If I could find a way of destroying it on every installation that I am
                responsible for, I would.

                I use My document, My Images, My audio and My video and My Programms, but
                I use it on a drive or partition, where I want it, and not where Gates
                wants it.

                Even Norton using the excellent "old generation" software of "Move and
                Remove files and directories" is unable to bury it, and trying to
                relocate Office, Lotus and a host of other software is a B****y
                nightmare.

                I do not accept, nor permit clutter, files, directories or other
                bloatware of any discription on any C: Drive, on any machine. And for
                good reason.

                So please, please, do NOT tie in EasynnPlus with "Documents and Settings"
                at any price. Microsoft always want evryone to do things Gates' way,
                that is why they are such control freaks. If it (Microsoft) was country
                it would be a South American Dictatorship and that is putting it mildly.
                With a CEO whose way of gaining ones' attention is to repeat a word at
                you continuously for minutes on end, ....."I'm trying to follow
                Microsoft's recommendations"..........can you really be serious?

                P. Dickens

                -------------------------------

              • steve@easynn.com
                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 20, 2006
                  On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 15:12:56 +0100, you wrote:

                  >From our point of view, My documents in "Documents and Settings" is an
                  >absolute bain and disaster.

                  It's good to have some standard for default action. After years having
                  to use non standard workstations I prefer some standardisation.

                  >It is the biggest pest Directory ever created on any Microsoft system
                  >since using Dos Version 2.
                  >
                  >If I could find a way of destroying it on every installation that I am
                  >responsible for, I would.

                  I worked on a huge development team so we had to impose some standards
                  The time lost with every relocation was unacceptable.

                  >I'm trying to follow
                  >Microsoft's recommendations"..........can you really be serious?

                  Yes, I'm serious but it will be the default if nothing else is chosen
                  by the user.

                  http://www.easynn.com
                • P. Dickens
                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 20, 2006
                    steve@... wrote:

                    > On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 15:12:56 +0100, you wrote:
                    >
                    > >From our point of view, My documents in "Documents and Settings" is an
                    > >absolute bain and disaster.
                    > >

                    > It's good to have some standard for default action. After years having
                    > to use non standard workstations I prefer some standardisation.

                    I don't disagree with you about standardising, I have travelled that road
                    too.
                    But the biggest fault with it is it sits on C: which with a system setup
                    designed to protect files and directories, C: is the worst place it can
                    possibly be.

                    Why not make it an option that can be explicitly changed to another drive.
                    At least then, I and anyone elsse, would know that its relocation is going
                    to be a darned sight safer, than it is on C:
                    Lets face it C: is the most dangerous, the most volatile and the most
                    corruptable partition on any system, it is in effect a death trap.
                    If the system goes down with only having sytem files on C: all one has to do
                    is to reset up, either a reinstallation of the platform or a recovery (if
                    that is possible) on C:
                    If the drive is mashed, and 3 times out of 7 it is, then even recovery
                    software is only partly succesful. But who wants to go down that road if it
                    can easily be avoided, which it can.
                    Believe you me, I know what I am talking about as well. Whilst with IBM, I
                    had to recover a mashed disk that was sent to the largest Data recovery
                    company in the UK to be recovered and they couldn't recover it and returned
                    the disk. So I set about it, and it took me six weeks to recover 86 % of
                    the files, spending nearly 12 hours every day including weekends.

                    > >It is the biggest pest Directory ever created on any Microsoft system
                    > >since using Dos Version 2.
                    > >
                    > >If I could find a way of destroying it on every installation that I am
                    > >responsible for, I would.
                    > >

                    > I worked on a huge development team so we had to impose some standards
                    > The time lost with every relocation was unacceptable.
                    >
                    > >I'm trying to follow
                    > >Microsoft's recommendations"..........can you really be serious?
                    > >

                    > Yes, I'm serious but it will be the default if nothing else is chosen
                    > by the user.
                    >
                    > --
                    > Steve Wolstenholme Neural Planner Software
                    >
                    > EasyNN-plus. The easy way to build neural networks.
                    > http://www.easynn.com

                  • John Williams
                    Message 9 of 18 , Aug 20, 2006
                      P. Dickens wrote:

                      > If the drive is mashed, and 3 times out of 7 it is, then even recovery
                      > software is only partly succesful. But who wants to go down that road if it
                      > can easily be avoided, which it can.
                      > Believe you me, I know what I am talking about as well. Whilst with IBM, I
                      > had to recover a mashed disk that was sent to the largest Data recovery
                      > company in the UK to be recovered and they couldn't recover it and returned
                      > the disk. So I set about it, and it took me six weeks to recover 86 % of
                      > the files, spending nearly 12 hours every day including weekends.

                      It sounds to me as if you didn't have a proper back-up policy?

                      How about dual raid drivers?

                      Back-ups to a remote server?

                      All back-ups need to be in triplicate.

                      Any important file can be emailed to someone else and stored on their
                      hard drive for later recovery providing none of the above is sensitive.
                    • P. Dickens
                      Message 10 of 18 , Aug 20, 2006
                        There was, don't make assumptions just because I didn't mention them. This
                        specific example was a case in point, where the problem I am refering to is
                        exaserbated by the use of this Directory on C:.
                        We used Cluster servers and HP Backup equipment and a good deal more besides, that
                        is all academic and not the point, and does not relate to the specific problem I
                        am highlighting about the flawed structure of the Microsoft Directory being
                        permanently nailed to C:, that is problem, and that is what I am addressing
                        You can create and so can I, a dozen different workarounds and backups and God
                        knows what else to deal with Disaster recovery and any other type of problem you
                        want to invoke, but that is not the point.
                        The point is, at the risk of repeating myself "Documents and Settings" being
                        nailed to C:. or the platform drive.

                      • steve@easynn.com
                        Message 11 of 18 , Aug 20, 2006
                          On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 16:44:03 +0100, you wrote:

                          >I don't disagree with you about standardising, I have travelled that road
                          >too.
                          >But the biggest fault with it is it sits on C: which with a system setup
                          >designed to protect files and directories, C: is the worst place it can
                          >possibly be.

                          EasyNN-plus can be installed in any location on any drive. The default
                          is in \Program Files\. When first run the samples will be copied to
                          \My Documents\ but they can be moved to any other location. Nothing
                          has to be installed on C: but that is the default.

                          Steve

                          http://www.easynn.com
                        • j88cj
                          Message 12 of 18 , Aug 20, 2006
                            Hello to everyone

                            I do program everyday with PBCC and PBWIN
                            http://www.powerbasic.com/

                            The first thing I noticed about these postings about "samples" are the
                            use of the words "folders" and "subfolders".
                            We all know that Gates did NOT invented anything. Gates pirated CPM83
                            and everything else.
                            Plus Gates "mob" has a tendency to change everything every two years
                            for commercial advantage, to confuse everyone because they are
                            incapable to support their products.

                            Luckily we have standards on other OS UNIX and LINUX Computers and
                            Windows is only one OS.
                            But all others OS have directories and subdirectories. ( folders and
                            subfolders are only gimmicks from Gates).

                            I agree with P.Dickens posting.
                            Having everything defaulting to > C:\ ...\My Documents\ is BAD because
                            it over loads the C:\ drive terribly.
                            EasyNN_Pplus "Samples" are ONLY data/script.

                            We should be allowed to change in the EasyNN IDE.

                            All these directories and subdirectories should be with different
                            location.
                            1) where the data files are stored.
                            2) where the scripts/weights etc files are stored.
                            3) where the backup files are stored.

                            I believe the idea of "importing" data is OK for small data files but
                            files which are above 1Gb starts to create huge sizing problem.

                            I am thinking about Matlab scenario with large matrices like analyzing
                            above 4Gb of video, etc..
                            You are allow to choose your directories.

                            I also work with Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5.
                            When large files are processed ( above 20 Gb) - This is called rendering.
                            Rendering which takes hours is partly done in memory and the final
                            product is sent on a different drive than C:\ or a DVD.

                            I understand the Executable of EasyNN needs to be in the C:\ for PATH
                            / DLL / other reasons ( Most users who are reading this don't even
                            know what a path is from DOS7 or WIN . WIN = DOS7 with a GUI)
                            but there is NO need for the data, scripts/weights, backup to be in C:\.
                            A choice should be provided and only an IDE for EASYNN-PLUS can do that.
                            If every executable program had to have it's data files, scripts files
                            and backup in C:\, the C: drive would be unmanageable and the
                            Internet would not exist.

                            These are positive criticisms.

                            Steve your program and updates are great.
                            Keep on.
                            Keeping on.

                            Guy

                            --- In easynn@yahoogroups.com, steve@... wrote:

                            > On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 16:44:03 +0100, you wrote:
                            >
                            > >I don't disagree with you about standardising, I have travelled
                            that road
                            > >too.
                            > >But the biggest fault with it is it sits on C: which with a system
                            setup
                            > >designed to protect files and directories, C: is the worst place it can
                            > >possibly be.
                            >
                            > EasyNN-plus can be installed in any location on any drive. The default
                            > is in \Program Files\. When first run the samples will be copied to
                            > \My Documents\ but they can be moved to any other location. Nothing
                            > has to be installed on C: but that is the default.
                            >
                            > Steve
                            >
                            > --
                            > Steve Wolstenholme Neural Planner Software
                            >
                            > EasyNN-plus. The easy way to build neural networks.
                            > http://www.easynn.com

                          • Malekz
                            Message 13 of 18 , Aug 20, 2006
                              I just noticed j88cj claiming that the concept of Directories/Subdirectories belongs to other OS, when he/she writes:

                              "But all others OS have directories and subdirectories. ( folders and
                              subfolders are only gimmicks from Gates).

                              Not to defend Gates, but has j88cj forgotten that Gate's OS, DOS, also used the concept of Directories/Subdiretories?

                              MM.

                              Message 14 of 18 , Aug 21, 2006
                                >I understand the Executable of EasyNN needs to be in the C:\ for PATH
                                >/ DLL / other reasons ( Most users who are reading this don't even
                                >know what a path is from DOS7 or WIN . WIN = DOS7 with a GUI)
                                >but there is NO need for the data, scripts/weights, backup to be in C:\.
                                >A choice should be provided and only an IDE for EASYNN-PLUS can do that.
                                >If every executable program had to have it's data files, scripts files
                                >and backup in C:\, the C: drive would be unmanageable and the
                                >Internet would not exist.

                                EasyNN-plus can be installed on any drive. It does not need to be on
                                C:\. There are no restrictions. It can be installed on a network if
                                needed. The samples are copied to \My Documents\ but they don't have
                                to left there.

                                http://www.easynn.com
                              • steve@easynn.com
                                Message 15 of 18 , Aug 24, 2006
                                  On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 23:41:26 -0000, j88cj wrote:

                                  >Luckily we have standards on other OS UNIX and LINUX Computers and
                                  >Windows is only one OS.

                                  I have never associated UNIX and LINUX with luck!

                                  >But all others OS have directories and subdirectories. ( folders and
                                  >subfolders are only gimmicks from Gates).

                                  The mainframe systems I worked on did not use the terms directories
                                  and subdirectories. Files were in libraries and libraries were in
                                  groups and groups were in more groups and so on.

                                  I don't think Microsoft have ever claimed to have invented the terms
                                  folders and subfolders. Didn't Apple use those terms before Microsoft?

                                  Personally I don't like the terms folders and subfolders but I don't
                                  like directories and subdirectories either.

                                  http://www.easynn.com
                                • P. Dickens
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Aug 24, 2006
                                    I have no fundamental objection to the word Folder. It is after all just
                                    a word.

                                    However, having been in the Vanguard of change for many years, I just do
                                    not see the point of changing the name of an "Apple" after years of use,
                                    and when every one knows what it is, to "Gooseberry".

                                    Not least when Gates was jointly responsible for DOS and its Directories.

                                    As the American proverb says, "If it works why fix it" ,

                                    and as the Russian Acadamy of Sciences has emblazened accross its main
                                    front entrance:

                                    "The Evil of Good is Better".

                                    The Americans have a very unfortunate habit of misusing words and missing
                                    the point of their real and subtle meanings, this stems from the fact that
                                    they have never learned Latin, simple things like 'e.g.' and 'i.e.'
                                    completely confounds them, and not least is the example of 'CLASS' in
                                    programing the word is so loaded, that only an American could miss the key
                                    and essential meaning of the word 'CLASS' and use it to describe a
                                    central feature of a programing language ( as in C, C++ etc.etc..). No
                                    Englishman in his right mind would ever select such a word for that job.

                                    So lets stick to what we know and means what it says.

                                    P. Dickens

                                  • steve@easynn.com
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Aug 24, 2006
                                      On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 14:59:05 +0100, you wrote:

                                      >However, having been in the Vanguard of change for many years, I just do
                                      >not see the point of changing the name of an "Apple" after years of use,
                                      >and when every one knows what it is, to "Gooseberry".

                                      In EasyNN-plus folder has been in use in the application, the help and
                                      user manual for years. There is no point in changing it now.

                                      http://www.easynn.com
                                    • Malekz
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Aug 25, 2006
                                        On the issue of:

                                        "The Evil of Good is Better".

                                        It is also noteworthy that there is a huge difference between "doing things better" and "having better things to do."

                                        Malekz