Need some help about NN

  • Cristina Matela
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 9, 2006
      Hi,

      I am a student that is writing her thesis. I have been reading many
      articles about ANN and it's applications.

      I would like to know since I am recruit in NN, with the financial data
      of an entreprise (let's say about 10 years = 120 months) which is
      considered my input how can I manipulate the NN software to predict the
      possible future values which would be my output.

      Thank you for any help that I can get.

      Regards
      Cristina
      (from Portugal)
    • Cortes Marcelo (GNTE)
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 9, 2006
        Hi, Cristina

        I am an old user of Easy Neural Network. And I have worked with NN in many projects of forecasting specially in gas supply.

        What I need is the name and the meaning of all your values..some of these shall be Input and other shall be output in the NN. This is the first step.

        Now if you want apply the Query, you just need push the "Q" in the software and get in the asking values in the software and EasyNN shall give the forecast to you.

        Don´t hesitate in contact me if you have more question.

        Best regards.

        Atte.
        Marcelo Cortés V.
        Jefe Dist.Granel
        Gasco Norte.
        CHILE.

        I am a student that is writing her thesis. I have been reading many
        articles about ANN and it's applications.

        I would like to know since I am recruit in NN, with the financial data
        of an entreprise (let's say about 10 years = 120 months) which is
        considered my input how can I manipulate the NN software to predict the
        possible future values which would be my output.

        Thank you for any help that I can get.

        Regards
        Cristina
        (from Portugal)

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Jeremy Yu
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 9, 2006
          Hi Everyone,

          I'm familiar with regression but not much experience with neural networks. I'm trying to forecast DVD sales but don't understand how to query. My dependent variable is "sales". I'm not sure how to specify that column as the dependent variable. I clicked on it and it turned red (is that correct?). I started associating and when it was finished I viewed the sensitivity analysis and input importance and it made sense to me with the nodes linking to my "sales" variable. I'm not sure how to instruct it to predict missing "?" values of my "sales" variable. I've read the manual regarding Queries but still need help.

          Thanks in advance!

          Jeremy

        • virender rihani
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 9, 2006
            One of my student has recently submitted his Master's Thesis using Easy NN. He has handled a large volume information to train the net to predict the INDEX of the Stock Market in INDIA. If your problem is similar in nature, the solution is possible.

            V Rihani
            Head
            Dept. of Electronics & Elect. Comn. Engineering
            Punjab Engineering College,
            Chandigarh, INDIA

            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 10, 2006
              Jeremy,

              Query is a type of Row. Columns will usually be set to Input or
              Output. How many variables (columns) are you using?

              Steve

              On Thu, 9 Mar 2006 20:47:13 -0800 (PST), you wrote:

              >Hi Everyone,
              >
              > I'm familiar with regression but not much experience with neural networks. I'm trying to forecast DVD sales but don't understand how to query. My dependent variable is "sales". I'm not sure how to specify that column as the dependent variable. I clicked on it and it turned red (is that correct?). I started associating and when it was finished I viewed the sensitivity analysis and input importance and it made sense to me with the nodes linking to my "sales" variable. I'm not sure how to instruct it to predict missing "?" values of my "sales" variable. I've read the manual regarding Queries but still need help.
              >
              > Thanks in advance!
              >
              > Jeremy

              >Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Jeremy Yu
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 10, 2006
                Hi Steve,

                Thanks for the reply. I think I figured out how to forecast. I changed the rows with missing values of my dependent variable to query rows and it filled in a value. Is this correct?

                Thanks,

                Jeremy

                steve@... wrote:
                Jeremy,

                Query is a type of Row. Columns will usually be set to Input or
                Output. How many variables (columns) are you using?

                Steve

                On Thu, 9 Mar 2006 20:47:13 -0800 (PST), you wrote:

                >Hi Everyone,
                >
                > I'm familiar with regression but not much experience with neural networks. I'm trying to forecast DVD sales but don't understand how to query. My dependent variable is "sales". I'm not sure how to specify that column as the dependent variable. I clicked on it and it turned red (is that correct?). I started associating and when it was finished I viewed the sensitivity analysis and input importance and it made sense to me with the nodes linking to my "sales" variable. I'm not sure how to instruct it to predict missing "?" values of my "sales" variable. I've read the manual regarding Queries but still need help.
                >
                > Thanks in advance!
                >
                > Jeremy

                >Yahoo! Groups Links

                Artificial intelligence Computer science Artificial intelligence software Computer science degree Online computer science degree

                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 11, 2006
                  Jeremy,

                  It depends what you are trying to do. If you send your network to
                  support@... I we have a look at it.

                  Steve

                  On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 19:22:50 -0800 (PST), you wrote:

                  >Hi Steve,
                  >
                  > Thanks for the reply. I think I figured out how to forecast. I changed the rows with missing values of my dependent variable to query rows and it filled in a value. Is this correct?
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  >
                  > Jeremy
                • Sam Mryyan
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 11, 2006
                    Hi everyone:

                    When comparing the performance of a neural network, what accuracy measures parameters do you use to compare the networks performance (i.e. summation-of-squared-error, Coefficient of determination, and mean absolute relative error).

                    BEST WISHES
                    Sam Mryyan
                    785-232-2773
                    s_mryyan@...

                    It depends what you are trying to do. If you send your network to
                    support@... I we have a look at it.

                    Steve

                    On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 19:22:50 -0800 (PST), you wrote:

                    >Hi Steve,
                    >
                    > Thanks for the reply. I think I figured out how to forecast. I changed the rows with missing values of my dependent variable to query rows and it filled in a value. Is this correct?
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    >
                    > Jeremy

                    Computer science degree Online computer science degree

                    YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                    Visit your group "easynn" on the web.

                  • steve@easynn.com
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 11, 2006
                      Hello Sam,

                      EasyNN-plus uses the absolute error.

                      Steve

                      On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 07:33:24 -0800 (PST), you wrote:

                      >Hi everyone:
                      >
                      >When comparing the performance of a neural network, what accuracy measures parameters do you use to compare the networks performance (i.e. summation-of-squared-error, Coefficient of determination, and mean absolute relative error).
                      >

                      >BEST WISHES
                      >Sam Mryyan
                      >785-232-2773
                      >s_mryyan@...
                    • Marc Parham
                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 11, 2006
                        Why don't you call it that .
                        Is it the Mean Absolute Error ?
                        Marc
                        steve@... wrote:

                        > Hello Sam,
                        >
                        > EasyNN-plus uses the absolute error.
                        >
                        > Steve
                        >
                        > On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 07:33:24 -0800 (PST), you wrote:
                        >
                        > >Hi everyone:
                        > >
                        > >When comparing the performance of a neural network, what accuracy
                        > measures parameters do you use to compare the networks performance
                        > (i.e. summation-of-squared-error, Coefficient of determination, and
                        > mean absolute relative error).
                        > >

                        > >BEST WISHES
                        > >Sam Mryyan
                        > >785-232-2773
                        > >s_mryyan@...

                      • Stephen Rinehart
                        Message 11 of 11 , Mar 16, 2006
                          Cristina,
                          What I do is run a set of band pass filters on the data which result in a
                          series of cycles which can be projected ahead.
                          Send me an ASCII file of you data (stevecin@...) and I will take a
                          look at the dataset.
                          You can see my work at www.financialsense.com and Archives and Rinehart).
                          Peace,