html support messages

  • steve@easynn.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 1, 2004
      Over the last few weeks I have been getting repeated complaints about
      ignoring support e-mails from one trial user. He always sends his
      messages in HTML format so they get filed in a very low priority
      folder.

      The support dialog includes a warning about using HTML.

      Messages with the header "content-Type: multipart/alternative" are
      filtered and probably never seen. That is mainly HTML. It's the way
      the anti-spam system works.

      Sorry but I can't spend hours wading through spam.

      Steve
      Build networks from numeric, text and image files.
      http://www.easynn.com
    • John.H.Williams
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 1, 2004
        > Over the last few weeks I have been getting repeated complaints about
        > ignoring support e-mails from one trial user. He always sends his
        > messages in HTML format so they get filed in a very low priority
        > folder.
        >
        > The support dialog includes a warning about using HTML.
        >
        > Messages with the header "content-Type: multipart/alternative" are
        > filtered and probably never seen. That is mainly HTML. It's the way
        > the anti-spam system works.
        >
        > Sorry but I can't spend hours wading through spam.

        Steve wrote,

        www.inboxcop.com might solve your problem, and it's completely free to use.

        John H. Williams
      • Ken G
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 1, 2004
          Steve, your email to us also appears to be in HTML format.
          Regards, Ken G.
        • Ken G
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 1, 2004
            Hi Steve, Re your messages being in HTML format, well maybe not. I
            received two copies of my message to you, one directly, the other via Yahoo.
            The direct copy was, as sent plain text. The via Yahoo copy had been
            transcribed on route into HTML format.
            Interesting maybe.............. Ken G.
          • steve@easynn.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 1, 2004
              On Thu, 1 Jan 2004 15:49:55 -0000, you wrote:

              >> Over the last few weeks I have been getting repeated complaints about
              >> ignoring support e-mails from one trial user. He always sends his
              >> messages in HTML format so they get filed in a very low priority
              >> folder.
              >>
              >> The support dialog includes a warning about using HTML.
              >>
              >> Messages with the header "content-Type: multipart/alternative" are
              >> filtered and probably never seen. That is mainly HTML. It's the way
              >> the anti-spam system works.
              >>
              >> Sorry but I can't spend hours wading through spam.
              >
              >Steve wrote,
              >
              >www.inboxcop.com might solve your problem, and it's completely free to use.
              >
              >John H. Williams

              Thanks John but I don't use Outlook or Outlook Express. I use Agent
              and PSM and the way I have them set up there is no problem with spam.
              However if I changed the settings I know I would be overwhelmed. My
              rejected e-mails are almost always spam and I get about 300 a day left
              on the server.

              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 1, 2004
                On Thu, 1 Jan 2004 11:44:34 -0500, you wrote:

                >Steve, your email to us also appears to be in HTML format.
                > Regards, Ken G.

                Ken,

                It leaves me as plain text. Yahoo converts it and sends it on to you
                as html unless you change your delivery option to text.

                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 1, 2004
                  Steve wrote,

                  > Thanks John but I don't use Outlook or Outlook Express. I use Agent
                  > and PSM and the way I have them set up there is no problem with spam.
                  > However if I changed the settings I know I would be overwhelmed. My
                  > rejected e-mails are almost always spam and I get about 300 a day left
                  > on the server.

                  It works with most agents. I have been using for a few days now. Even
                  though my ISP filters spam, a lot more of it is getting through. Inboxcop
                  filters it at source, and what gets left, goes straight in the spam folder.
                  You still have the option to review the spam, and reinstate mails that might
                  get deleted accidentally and assign them a new status. One can even filter
                  countries with it.

                  John H. Williams
                • steve@easynn.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 1, 2004
                    On Thu, 1 Jan 2004 22:32:22 -0000, you wrote:

                    >Steve wrote,
                    >
                    >> Thanks John but I don't use Outlook or Outlook Express. I use Agent
                    >> and PSM and the way I have them set up there is no problem with spam.
                    >> However if I changed the settings I know I would be overwhelmed. My
                    >> rejected e-mails are almost always spam and I get about 300 a day left
                    >> on the server.
                    >
                    >It works with most agents. I have been using for a few days now. Even
                    >though my ISP filters spam, a lot more of it is getting through. Inboxcop
                    >filters it at source, and what gets left, goes straight in the spam folder.

                    That's what I use PSM for. Messages I don't accept on any of e-mail
                    addresses get left on the server. I have a look at the sender and
                    subject lines without downloading when I remember. None of them are
                    ever needed so I just delete them. PSM is quite ancient but I still
                    rate it as the best e-mail server tool.

                    >You still have the option to review the spam, and reinstate mails that might
                    >get deleted accidentally and assign them a new status. One can even filter
                    >countries with it.

                    In Agent I use the filter "Subject: {[€-ÿ][€-ÿ][€-ÿ][€-ÿ]} |
                    Any-Sender: {[€-ÿ][€-ÿ][€-ÿ][€-ÿ]}" to delete messages that I can't
                    read. That gets rid of all the "eastern" spam.

                    I'm sure Inboxcop is OK but I'm not likely to change my antispam
                    methods. They are about 99% effective with no false positives and that
                    is good enough for me.