easyNN sometimes doesn't learn

  • P. Dickens
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 24, 2012
      I wanted to use the same data grid and build many nets with different
      numbers of nodes. After training one, I always seem to end up in a
      non-learning state for further nets.

      Are you merely substituting the data, that you already have in the grid,
      and that has resolved or converged, with new data?
      Or are you building a new net from scratch with the new data, but using
      the same grid structure as the previous net?

      OR

      Are you resetting the number of nodes in the parameters, when you build
      the net or more likely substituting the old data for the new, but at the
      same time failing to change the number of nodes (either increasing or
      decreasing them? If this is the case then you need to build a new net,
      setting the parameters accurately.

      P. Dickens

      From:
      "jluhrsen" <jamo@...>

      * Save Addresses
      <http://email10.orange.co.uk/webmail/en_GB/read.html?FOLDER=SF_INBOX&IDMSG=61665&check=&SORTBY=1#>

      To:
      easynn@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Oct 24 2012, 10:00 AM
      Subject:
      easyNN sometimes doesn't learn

      Show full header
      <http://email10.orange.co.uk/webmail/en_GB/read.html?FOLDER=SF_INBOX&IDMSG=61665&check=&SORTBY=1#>

      Hi,

      I'm using an older version of EasyNN (14.0g).

      Sometimes, when I try to start training, the learning is stagnant. There
      is no change in the error values no matter how many cycles I
      allow.

      If I build a new network from scratch, it will usually start learning,
      even with the same settings. Sometimes toggling the trimming on/off/on
      will initiate it to a learning state. Sometimes, if I re-associate or
      "forget learning" in the GUI it will get it to learn.

      I can't figure out exactly how to get to this state, or exactly how to
      get out of this state.

      Any thoughts on this?

      I wanted to use the same data grid and build many nets with different
      numbers of nodes. After training one, I always seem to end up in a
      non-learning state for further nets.

      Thanks,
      James

    • SkywarnPB6027
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 24, 2012
        Doea anybody know how to expand the min or max value
        or force the Easynn to extend scale. I have new data
        that I need to add and test but the scale is too high on
        the min scale .

        Does anyone know.? I know there is a feature to expand
        scale but that does not work well.. I need to physically
        put a lower number in there for the min values especiallty
        ones that are the predictors.

        Paul
        On 10/23/2012 2:18:00 PM, jluhrsen (jamo@...) wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I'm using an older version of EasyNN (14.0g).
        >
        > Sometimes, when I try to start training, the learning is stagnant. There is no change in the error values no matter how many cycles I
        > allow.
        >
        > If I build a new network from scratch, it will usually start learning,
        > even with the same settings. Sometimes toggling the trimming on/off/on will initiate it to a learning state. Sometimes, if I re-associate or "forget learning" in the GUI it will get it to learn.
        >
        > I can't
        > figure out exactly how to get to this state, or exactly how to get out of
        > this state.

      • jluhrsen
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 25, 2012
          Hi,

          to be more specific, let me give a recent example:

          I built and trained a 154 node network on 2300 examples. I saved
          the .tqv file and did another "save as" to create my next net. Now,
          I changed the number of nodes to 175. After doing that, I clicked
          yes to "reset all learning". I kept the same control settings and
          let it re-optimize the rates which I think resets all learning again.
          Now, when I start the training all error values are flatlined
          and no learning happens. I stopped the learning and clicked to
          "forget all learning" and tried again. Still, no learning. Finally,
          I closed the program, reopened EasyNN and re-opened my new net. This time I set my min layer1 nodes to 175 and max to 176. I let it "pick"
          the number of nodes and it picked 176. learning was again reset and
          this time the net learned.

          I can't pinpoint when it will learn and when it wont. Maybe I'm just
          no understanding some concept?

          Thanks,
          James