pennsic, next year

  • Kirsten Houseknecht
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 9 11:16 AM
      this is a re-post from another list about changes to the timing of pennsic
      in 2007, repeat 2007, NOT THIS YEAR. this year remains unchanged.

      > Greetings are extended unto the Seneschals of the Known World from
      Baroness

> [...]
      >
      > prompted by a steadily-increasing level of concern about the conflict
      >
      > between Pennsic and school calendars. School districts across the country
      >
      > have been starting earlier and earlier, with many routinely starting by
      the

      > third or fourth week of August, and some as early as the second week
      >
      > (several districts in Florida, for example). This situation has been
      >
      > preventing many parents and their school-age children from attending,
      >
      > especially since many can often only stay for only the first part of War
      >
      > even though they would have to pay for both weeks that way. Some must miss
      >
      > Pennsic altogether. Needless to say, it also affects our members who are
      >
      > educators from kindergarten through college as well as the above mentioned
      >
      > SCA families with school-age children.
      >
      > I brought it up to the Coopers at the November Pennsic staff meeting, and
      >
      > Dave Cooper was enthusiastically all for the change. Local schools in
      >
      > western Pennsylvania also start earlier than they used to, and that
      >
      > situation cuts into his available labor force for Pennsic. Moreover, the
      >
      > earlier start will give the Coopers an extra week to have the campground
      >
      > ready for Labor Day weekend. Fred Brezel said it would not adversely
      impact

      > his registration system, since all he would have to do is change dates,
      >
      > which he does anyway. Dave and Fred both opined that announcing it over a
      >
      > year in advance would be fine for making the change. Dave has discussed it
      >
      > with his contractors (the porta-john folks, et al.), and they have said
      that

      > it poses no problem. Those probably represented the most serious "hard
      >
      > stops" to this idea and those hurdles have been cleared. In fact, at the
      >
      > Aethelmearc War Practice Pennsic staff meeting on May 20th, the Coopers
      >
      > pressed to have this finalized as they want the change. It was at this
      >
      > meeting that the Kingdom Seneschal Group approved the change.
      >
      > The Kingdoms would obviously have to make some adjustments for this to
      >
      > happen, most importantly, changing their Kingdom laws if Pennsic dates are
      >
      > written into their Law, and changing the last available date to authorize
      in

      > time for Pennsic. Some events which traditionally have made that a big
      part

      > of their "marketing" to the populace will either have to drop that as a
      >
      > "draw" or will have to hold their events a week earlier in 2007 and
      >
      > subsequent years. I am hoping that I can count on all of you to facilitate
      >
      > this change. I have asked your Crown to forward the following attachment
      >
      > your Kingdom Chronicler for inclusion in your Kingdom newsletter's
      >
      > announcements section, and to notify your Kingdom Marshal as soon as
      >
      > possible. The changed schedule will also be announced on the
      >
      > www.pennsicwar.org website very soon.
      >
      > Thank you in advance for your time and cooperation in publicizing this new

      Kirsten Houseknecht
      Fabric Dragon
      kirsten@...
      www.fabricdragon.com
      Philadelphia, PA USA
      Trims, Amber, Jet, Jewelry, and more...

      I worry about you, wear a reflective sweater...