Anyone speak "astrologer"?

  • Tchipakkan
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2005
      This was on one of my other lists, and I tracked it down to
      http://www.daykeeperjournal.com/influences.shtml
      but while it sure looks a lot better than the usual "AQUARIUS (Jan. 20 - Feb. 18): If
      you have been stuck out of sight, and feeling ignored, you now have a real chance to
      get your glad rags on" we see everywhere, and, of course, don't work. This person
      looks like she knows what's going on, but- I don't. Is there an astrologer out there
      who can translate? I was thinking this might spur some discussion that would be
      useful teaching/learning experiences for those of us with only passing knowledge of
      astrology. For example what's a quincunx? How would I check out my natal mars?
      (and what does this have to do with the SCA?)
      Tchipakkan

      Note: These influences are working during the entire month, and form a substrate for
      each individual day.

      Mars is the big news. For the next year, it is the big news. And this month it gears up,
      transiting many of the sensitive points which it will stimulate again.

      Mars is energy, drive, unbridled ego expression. Mars is goal-oriented, not brooking
      obstacles. Mars is feisty, ready to take on all comers. Mars gets us where we want to
      go.

      Mars is transiting the stolid sign of Taurus, where it will be until the end of January,
      moving back and forth (from Earth's vantage point). Taurus is an earth sign, the
      earthiest of the earth signs. Virgo, September's major sign, is also an earth sign. Thus
      Mars and Sun support each other now. September is a good month for moving on
      your goals in a practical way. Earth is the element that knows how to make things
      work in this real life on this real earth.

      In Virgo we analyze, we learn, we perfect technique and expression. We develop right
      work and right service. We smooth off the rough edges, and prepare to meet the
      world on equal terms—which we do in Libra. With Taurus we are productive. We use
      Virgo's knowledge to create something tangible. We build something practical and
      lasting, like a home, a family, or a fortune.

      Mars in Taurus provides the energy and the motive power to do that building.
      However, building thoroughly takes time and deliberation. Mars in Taurus is a slow
      Mars, and being Mars, an energy of action, is sometimes frustrated by the slow pace
      of life. However, Mars in Taurus is steady, and keeps moving ahead.

      Unless it turns retrograde, which it is now preparing to do, Mars moves very slowly
      indeed, which strengthens its influence. Now, in September, It is slowing down for its
      retrograde turn on October 1. This month it traverses degrees 18-24 of Taurus,
      which it will cover twice more during the next few months.

      This Mars pathway includes three conjunctions with the U.S. Vesta, at 20 Taurus.
      Vesta represents focus, security, safety, and all things which promote the protection
      of the hearth, such as investments. Taurus is the premier money sign, with a special
      talent for attracting money. In the U.S. chart (Sibly), Vesta in Taurus sits in the fifth
      house of speculation. (The New York Stock Exchange was established early—on May
      17, 1792, with a Taurus Sun.)

      The U.S. investment energy has another adventurous influence, besides being in the
      fifth house. Its Vesta sits right at the North Node of Mars, adding a shot of Martian
      assertiveness to all financial endeavors. And perhaps propelling the nation into wars
      in order to accumulate assets.

      Mars, then, will be transiting the U.S. fifth house during much of the next few
      months, stimulating speculation and risk-taking, and perhaps also stimulating
      warlike action. BUT THEN ON OCTOBER 1, MARS DOES TURN RETROGRADE, or
      reverses course. During the two months of retrogradation—October and November—
      there will be much to review. Life will slow down then.

      Lessons are to build what you can, now in September. But at the same time, to realize
      that beginning October 1, all bets are off. Finances and assets are the major focus.
      Use your Virgo smarts to best arrange your financial life to weather storms in the
      economic, political, and social scenes.

      Check out your natal Mars, as well as your natal Aries, for clues about how this
      coming retrograde Mars will operate for you.

      The U.S. Mars is in Gemini in the seventh house of partnership. This is a set-up for a
      trader, a salesperson, and a dealmaker. It squares Neptune in the ninth, showing,
      amongst other things, our dominating trade in oil.

      It appears that the rising price of oil could be a major source of economic dislocation.
      A chain reaction could result in social chaos.

      There is a large cast in this September drama. The major supporting actor is Chiron,
      who often disrupts situations in order to open them to a larger, more holistic
      integration.

      Chiron is now finishing up its work in Capricorn before it makes its final entrance into
      Aquarius in December. Remember, it is the Wounded Healer. Thus in its transits it
      often exposes wounds. Capricorn is "the Establishment." It refers to the big
      institutions of society, its skeleton, just as it refers to our skeletons. Chiron has been
      transiting in Capricorn for two years, exposing weaknesses in "the system."
      (Capricornians, have you noticed that? It has been and is healing time for you.)

      The U.S. Pluto is at 28 Capricorn, where it has been accumulating great institutional
      power. Over these years it has progressed only to 30 degrees of Capricorn. The arena
      of special focus is money and assets, for it is in the second house, which is associated
      with Taurus. Thus the accumulation of great resources has been Pluto's task. Pluto is
      also an extremist—it goes all the way. Since World War II, the U.S. has built up global
      capitalism, and become banker to the world. (Capricorn is also a builder. The U.S.
      progressed Sun entered Capricorn in 1945. Enter Harry Truman as President. His Sun
      was in Taurus, sign of a Builder. Now the U.S. progressed Sun has just entered Pisces,
      the dissolver. And we have Bush & Co., who destroy whatever they touch.)

      Chiron is back and forth over the U.S. Pluto and progressed Pluto during 2005,
      beginning in January, and intensifying now in September, October, and November.
      Chiron, too, is moving very slowly. It will turn direct on October 4, exposing to light
      some of the festering wounds of U.S. capitalism and world power.

      Chiron in the U.S. chart is in the 4th house in Aries, showing the U.S. warlike
      tendency. This is apt now to be the U.S. downfall.

      This coming Mars retrograde period may be, as I've mentioned before, a dress
      rehearsal for the U.S. Mars turning retrograde by progression next summer. That U.S.
      progressed Mars is literally standing still now.

      Mars this autumn is very, very potent.

      There are an incredible number of quincunxes all during September. These are
      aspects of continual adjustment. There is no "getting things settled" or having things
      "just right." We need to be continually aware and flexible. Frequent unpredictable
      events may unsettle us.

      The constant throughout the month is Mars quincunx Jupiter, a combination which
      refers to the warrior. During most of the month, they make a Yod, or Finger of God,
      with Pluto, adding deep transformational power to the mix. It is as though Mars, God
      of War, is in the hands of powerful destiny now. On September 18, as Venus squares
      Saturn, Mars as the lever in the Finger of God sits squarely overhead in Washington
      DC.

      The New Moon on September 3 will open new doors of power for the nation. It
      conjoins the Mars, and the progressed Sun, of GW Bush. A very powerful Pluto,
      stationary direct, is rising in Washington DC. Transiting Uranus opposes the New
      Moon, bringing unpredictability to the mix.

      Culmination is at the Full Moon on September 17. September 17-18 will be fateful
      days for the nation, and thus for all of us.

      The Nodes of the Moon are transiting in Aries and Libra, the polarity of war and
      peace, self and others, thereby adding another association with war. During
      September, they square the U.S. Sun in Cancer, thus challenging the nation's ego. At
      the same time, transiting Vesta in Cancer is conjoining the U.S. Sun, indicating that
      the ego involvement is about investments and assets.

      This is true for all of us. We will feel our security challenged.

      The four major asteroids all have important roles now, as well as Venus. This shows
      that women, and real-life issues, are crucial.

      September is a difficult month, and it opens a challenging autumn season. However,
      there is at the same time a great deal of strength and drive available to us. Clarity
      concerning our goals is essential. Mars needs a strong sense of mission, or purpose.
      And it is important to maintain patience and persistence.

      Note: A VOC Moon period is when the Moon is making no further major planetary
      aspects before it changes signs. Moon and its aspects are strongly associated with
      our everyday behavior, and without those aspects to direct our course, we are left
      much more free to pursue our own ends in our own way. It is like you're driving down
      the freeway and find the road signs removed for awhile. On the one hand, plans may
      go awry, you may miss your exit; on the other hand, inner work is greatly favored as
      those external "instructions" are reduced.

      Times used are EST, because the overall influences for the United States are centered
      in Washington DC. Click on a date to jump to the calendar entry for that
      day:.SEPTEMBER 2005
      ..
      .
    • Steve Mesnick
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 2005
        > Mars is the big news. For the next year, it is the big news. And this month it gears up,
        > transiting many of the sensitive points which it will stimulate again.

        Transiting: moving across the sky, making angles with other planets,
        entering and leaving signs and houses.

        > Mars is transiting the stolid sign of Taurus, where it will be until the end of January,
        > moving back and forth (from Earth's vantage point).

        Astrology is calculated from the point of view of everything moving
        around the Earth (geocentric) not the Sun (heliocentric; altho' there
        *is* a system of "heliocentic astrology"). Because of this, sometimes
        a planet will seem to moving backward (retrograde).

        > Taurus is an earth sign

        The signs are grouped by element: earth, air, water, fire.

        > Mars in Taurus provides the energy and the motive power to do that building.

        The planets and the signs all have specific traits. A planet combines
        with the sign it's occupying to exert a specific influence that partakes
        of both sets of traits.

        > This Mars pathway includes three conjunctions with the U.S.

        Conjunction: when two planets or points of interest are at the same
        point along the zodiac belt.

        Vesta, at 20 Taurus.

        Vesta is one of the major asteroids. It represents hearth and home as
        well as sudden releases of pent-up energy.

        > In the U.S. chart (Sibly)

        The "Sibly" chart is the most commonly-accepted "birth chart" of
        the United States of America (calculated for the signing of the
        Declaration of Independence at Philadelphia, I believe).

        > Vesta in Taurus sits in the fifth
        > house of speculation.

        Houses, as opposed to the fixed constellations, are determined
        by finding the degree on the zodiac corresponding to the sky point
        that was just on the eastern horizon at birth (the ascendant) and
        dividing the sky from that point into 12 (usually unequal) pie sections,
        by several different methods. Which method (Placidus, Koch, Alcabitius,
        Regiomontanus, etc.) to use is to astrologers as which OS to use is to
        programmers. Each house governs a different sphere of living: home,
        work, fun, finances, travel, partnerships, etc.

        > Check out your natal Mars, as well as your natal Aries, for clues about how this
        > coming retrograde Mars will operate for you.

        Your "natal Mars" is the point at which Mars was situated in the sky at
        the moment of your birth. Your "natal Aries" is the situation of the
        constellation Aries -- what planets were in it, and where -- at the
        moment of your birth.

        > It squares Neptune in the ninth, showing,
        > amongst other things, our dominating trade in oil.

        A square, or quadrature, is a 90-degree angle, the worst aspect.

        > The major supporting actor is Chiron,
        > who often disrupts situations in order to open them to a larger, more holistic
        > integration.

        Chiron is an asteroid in an unusual place, between Saturn and Uranus. It
        represents the unhealable wound that everyone has, the sore spot that
        won't go away. Your natal Chiron can be the wound, the wounded one, the
        one who wounds, or the healer. It was only discovered in (most of) our
        lifetimes, and so has no place in medieval astrology, but I find it a
        *profoundly* meaningful symbol and give it a lot of attention in my
        (modern) interpretations.

        > Chiron is back and forth over the U.S. Pluto and progressed Pluto during 2005,

        A progressed position is the place a planet would be in if you took X
        number of years, and moved the chart forward the same number of days by
        various methods.

        > There are an incredible number of quincunxes all during September.

        A quincunx is an angle of 150 degrees, or 5 signs. Being "not
        quite" a straight line, it represents something that's "out
        of whack", that needs to be knocked into alignment.

        > During most of the month, they make a Yod, or Finger of God,
        > with Pluto, adding deep transformational power to the mix.

        A yod is a non-canonical aspect of three points that form a figure
        somewhat resembling a figure 7 or L. It gets its mystical meaning from
        the fact that yod is the Hebrew letter Y, and is the first letter of
        the Ineffable Name of God.

        > A very powerful Pluto,
        > stationary direct,

        It was going forward but just seemed to stop just before it goes
        retrograde. Pluto stations can have major influence on large groups,
        including entire countries. They can also toss a monkey wrench (for
        good or ill) into individual lives. I joined the SCA just after a
        Pluto station right on my ascendant...and the rest is history.

        > is rising in Washington DC.

        Is on the Eastern horizon.

        > The Nodes of the Moon are transiting in Aries and Libra,

        The points at which the path of the moon cuts across the ecliptic.

        > Note: A VOC Moon period
        VOC = "void of course", not making any major angles. Since the moon
        moves so quickly relative to the other planets, it makes *lots*
        of angles. When it doesn't, that's notable. Making decisions is bad,
        reassessing is good.

        Hope this helps.

        --
        Baron Steffan ap Kennydd, OP, OL, Firebrand Her. Ext.
        Are you on the Rolls Ethereal? You should be!
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 1, 2005
          Thank you, Steffan; it's been a long time since anyone has spoken
          this clearly about modern astrology in my hearing. You explain a
          lot that I'd forgotten, if indeed I ever knew it.

          Morwenna
        • dicconf
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 2, 2005
            On Thu, 1 Sep 2005, Steve Mesnick wrote:

            >> Mars is the big news. For the next year, it is the big news. And this
            >> month it gears up, transiting many of the sensitive points which it
            >> will stimulate again.
            >
            > Transiting: moving across the sky, making angles with other planets,
            > entering and leaving signs and houses.

            Mars is at its closest to earth in some 6,000 years, or so I read.

            <snip useful information>

            >> Note: A VOC Moon period
            > VOC = "void of course", not making any major angles. Since the moon
            > moves so quickly relative to the other planets, it makes *lots*
            > of angles. When it doesn't, that's notable. Making decisions is bad,
            > reassessing is good.

            But - How can you reassess without making a decision?

            =Tamar the Gypsy