Re: [EK Sooth Guild] NJ Ren Faire?

  • Catherine Kane
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 8 10:00 PM
      http://www.njrenfaire.com/Home.html

      --- On Fri, 3/8/13, dicconf <dicconf@...> wrote:

      From: dicconf <dicconf@...>
      Subject: [EK Sooth Guild] NJ Ren Faire?
      To: eastkingdomsoothsayersguild@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Friday, March 8, 2013, 11:57 AM

      Someone I was reading online recently mentioned "the NJ Ren Faire." Idle curiosity here: Can I assume she meant the spring one (sometime in May?) by the Lions Club, or is there a new one somewhere?

      Tamar the Gypsy, Baroness Carillion

    • Lois Fitzpatrick
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 9 9:16 AM
        To the best of my knowledge, the SCA is not involved with this fair. I suspect it is a purely commercial venture, with only paid performers.

        Elena

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 9 3:12 PM
          At some commercial faires, not all of the performers are paid. Some busk for tips and to sell CDs

          Catherine

          To the best of my knowledge, the SCA is not involved with this fair. I suspect it is a purely commercial venture, with only paid performers.

          Elena

          Someone I was reading online recently mentioned "the NJ Ren Faire." Idle curiosity here: Can I assume she meant the spring one (sometime in May?) by the Lions Club, or is there a new one somewhere?

          Tamar the Gypsy, Baroness Carillion

        • Jeanne Wardwell
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 10 7:21 AM
            I guess it just means that if you're interested, contact them to find out if
            busking is permitted. Or perhaps one could apply as a vendor.

            Morwenna
          • dicconf
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 13 4:15 PM
              - In eastkingdomsoothsayersguild@yahoogroups.com, Catherine Kane <ckane01@...> wrote:

              > http://www.njrenfaire.com/Home.html

              Commercial, then. Thanks. The horrible insults to history aside, it may be not much worse than the other commercial ones.

              =Tamar
            • Catherine Kane
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 13 4:36 PM
                Commercial faires are perfectly fine if you accept them for what they are- entertainment events based in medieval legend and history; as opposed to expect them to be something they're not and never have been- historically accurate recreation of the medieval period.

                They're kinda like people that way

                For that matter, the SCA is not a strict historical recreation either (we wash our hands, have free access to exotic spices, can mouth off to royalty and are not bound to the land for life) and we accept and enjoy that. I like recreation but I also like some flexibility in it (as a woman, I don't really enjoy the idea of being chattel)

                I think history's self esteem will survive any non period fun at a commerical renn faire

                Catherine du Fay
                dancer between the worlds