Re: [EK Sooth Guild] This year's Ecumenicon theme

  • Lauren Grover
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 7 5:52 AM
      I think that we all realize that there are times when we can't change
      what's going on. We can always change how we react, and we can always find
      something to do that may not affect the core situation but still affects
      our lives positively.
      Also, the Devil generally gets you because of your own choices, and in q
      spread may serve as a warning of what will result from the current path.
      How to recognize and change bad decisions is also very positive, as is
      possibly how to make reparations. Not fun, but useful, positive, and very
      important.
      Ghazalah
      On Feb 5, 2013 12:39 AM, "dicconf" <dicconf@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > The tarot sequence themes for Ecumenicon have reached the
      > difficult one: The Devil, sometimes called Fate.
      > Now, I don't believe in either one, but I don't run the con.
      > (Rosanna Tufts is in full charge of it now, FYI. Charles
      > is going to Brazil.)
      >
      > Does anyone have ideas for how to adapt the theme for
      > positive teachings? I read the card as "things you
      > don't personally control," which is still a tricky topic
      > to work with, as I am also against the attitude of
      > "give-up-you're-helpless" which I have seen some people
      > promote.
      >
      > =Tamar

    • dicconf
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 7 11:11 PM
        - In eastkingdomsoothsayersguild@yahoogroups.com, ladyarli@... wrote:
        > what is a "monkey trap"? I've never heard that term before.

        Put something solid - hard fruit, nuts, etc - inside a firmly fastened down container with a narrow opening. The Monkey reaches in, grabs a handful, and can't get its fist back out; it's trapped. If the Monkey let go and took only one item, maybe holding it with the fingertips, it could get its hand out and even get one piece of food at a time.

        In the past it has been used with respect to Halloween candy, when people had more time to wait for the kid to catch on.

        =Tamar
      • Demon Walker
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 8 7:41 AM
          People trap themselves by their choices or their inability to decide.

          Send More Brainnnnsssss !!!!!!
          On Feb 8, 2013 2:11 AM, "dicconf" <dicconf@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > - In eastkingdomsoothsayersguild@yahoogroups.com, ladyarli@... wrote:
          > > what is a "monkey trap"? I've never heard that term before.
          >
          > Put something solid - hard fruit, nuts, etc - inside a firmly fastened
          > down container with a narrow opening. The Monkey reaches in, grabs a
          > handful, and can't get its fist back out; it's trapped. If the Monkey let
          > go and took only one item, maybe holding it with the fingertips, it could
          > get its hand out and even get one piece of food at a time.
          >
          > In the past it has been used with respect to Halloween candy, when people
          > had more time to wait for the kid to catch on.
          >
          > =Tamar

        • dicconf
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 11 4:24 PM
            - In eastkingdomsoothsayersguild@yahoogroups.com, Demon Walker wrote:

            > People trap themselves by their choices or their inability to decide.
            >
            > Send More Brainnnnsssss !!!!!!

            Sometimes refusing to make the decision is the real decision, as it prevents change without the (perceived) responsibility of taking action.

            Speaking of which, I'm pretty sure I won't be teaching at Ecumenicon this year, but the discussion has been helpful anyway. Thanks!

            =Tamar