This is a bit off the main topic...

  • Catherine K
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 7, 2012
      ...but I'm looking for input and I thought this was one group full of people who might have meaningful and helpful input. Please forgive my diversion...

      I'm beginning to think about what next year's book will be about, and the topic that's speaking to me is about functional skills for religiously mixed marriages. When Starwolf and I got married, most of the literature on mixed marriages was on 2 different types of Protestants, or, if you were getting edgy, a Protestant and a Catholic. There was nothing in evidence for a monotheist and a poltheist like we were, and, being bookish people who take our faiths seriously and wanted to make our marriage work, that was a bit off putting

      Now its many years later, but, when I search, I'm still not finding literature that addresses the issues of a monotheistic/poltheistic couple. Am I not looking in the right places, or is there still nothing out there?

      Your input appreciated.

      Thanks

      Catherine du Fay mka Catherine Kane
      author on the loose...
    • dicconf
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 15, 2012
        - In eastkingdomsoothsayersguild@yahoogroups.com, "Catherine K" <ckane01@...> wrote:

        > I'm beginning to think about what next year's book will be about, and the topic that's speaking to me is about functional skills for religiously mixed marriages. When Starwolf and I got married, most of the literature on mixed marriages was on 2 different types of Protestants, or, if you were getting edgy, a Protestant and a Catholic. There was nothing in evidence for a monotheist and a polytheist like we were, and, being bookish people who take our faiths seriously and wanted to make our marriage work, that was a bit off putting

        > Now its many years later, but, when I search, I'm still not finding literature that addresses the issues of a monotheistic/polytheistic couple. Am I not looking in the right places, or is there still nothing out there?

        I doubt that there is anything specifically so addressed, but if there is, I think it's probably among the more ecumenical pagans, such as Church of All Worlds (as they used to be, I don't know how they are now). I do know of one successful marriage of a monotheist and a polytheist, but they haven't written a book.

        It seems to me that for a monotheist to marry a polytheist, they must already be more flexible than most. After all, if you firmly believe that there is only one, it's difficult to allow for others to exist.

        In the fantasy novel _Godstalk_ by P.C.Hodgell, the main character is a monotheist who has to deal with the fact of multiple gods in the city she lives in, and her eventual decision is that there is so much energy radiating from the One True God she believes in that the others can exist by using that energy, without harming the original one in any way, and it doesn't seem to be upset by their existence, so it would be foolish for her to be upset. That idea is similar but not identical to what I vaguely understand as a Buddhist concept, that there is what is, and there are lesser beings that are gods. A god that advances may become a Buddha or a Bodhisattva but even those are not the primary What Is.

        =Tamar
      • Julia Johnson
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 15, 2012
          Hello, Catherine,

          So I originally elected to hold off on responding to you because I'm
          actually brand new here and I didn't want to step on anyone else's toes for
          my first response and first post. Since no one else has contributed to your
          question as of yet, though, I'll jump on in. To use a childhood metaphor...
          CANNONBALL!!!!! ;)

          First, some quick questions to clarify what you're looking for. Do your
          sources need to be from a journal or peer-reviewed? Are websites OK? Or are
          you looking for physical books as sources on this subject? Or are you
          looking for something completely different that I've missed on all counts?

          Depending on what you say, I've got a few things that may or may not help
          you out. But if I may suggest something to "tide" you over, take a look
          online to see if you can find anything from a Catholic pre-Cana program--
          it's required for any couple who engages in a Catholic wedding, and they
          have special classes/discussions/requirements for couples where one person
          is not Catholic. And more to the point for you, Pre-Cana itself brings up
          potential points of conflict, and the one designed for an "interfaith"
          marriage brings up the potential issues that a religiously "mixed" couple
          might face in their day-to-day life.

          I've got to run for now, but I hope this gives you a good place to start at
          the very least.

          Warm wishes on this cold night,
          Julia/Marajil

        • Catherine Kane
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 15, 2012
            Hi Julia

            First, your exhuberance makes me smile. Thank you.

            First I'm looking to see if there are any actual books out there on the subject. Mixed religion marriages, but esp monotheist/polytheist since I haven't found anything on this. I think such marriages are happening more and more, and if there are no books on the subject, that means I'll be offering something new, hopefully of service, and meeting a need as yet unmet

            I'm primarily looking for books, but other sources would be useful too. I'm figuring on starting with what Starwolf and I have learned, and then spreading my research as indicated

            Thanks for your help

            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 15, 2012
              Thanks for the input Tamar. Those are other good places to look

              Oh, just in case anyone wonders, I'm a monotheist, but the conclusion I've reached is that God is too big to be put into a box, and that includes boxes like "male/female" etc. I see God as male because that's how I was raised and that's worked for me, but I believe that's just a construct to let an infinite Being fit in my finite consciousness. I also believe that God reaches out to us all and is certainly able to do that in the image that works for each of us, whether God, Goddess, Thor, Shiva, Coyote, or as any other aspect of the Divine

              Not saying I have the correct of it- its just how I view the whole thing

              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 18, 2012
                - In eastkingdomsoothsayersguild@yahoogroups.com, Catherine Kane wrote:
                > Oh, just in case anyone wonders, I'm a monotheist, but the
                > conclusion I've reached is that God is too big to be put
                > into a box, and that includes boxes like "male/female" etc.

                I just happened to come across a note that Dick made some years ago.

                "henotheists" -- believers in one god who, though there
                are others, bears primary responsibility for things

                So maybe that would be a word to use for searches.
              • Catherine Kane
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 18, 2012
                  Thanks Tamar

                  Cathy

                  > Oh, just in case anyone wonders, I'm a monotheist, but the
                  > conclusion I've reached is that God is too big to be put
                  > into a box, and that includes boxes like "male/female" etc.

                  I just happened to come across a note that Dick made some years ago.

                  "henotheists" -- believers in one god who, though there
                  are others, bears primary responsibility for things

                  So maybe that would be a word to use for searches.

                • Jeanne Wardwell
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 1, 2013
                    I realize I've been quiet for some time, but that doesn't mean I don't keep up
                    with you folks! May this be a blessed year for all of us and our loved ones (and
                    we Neeed it, don't we?).

                    Morwenna
                  • Lois Fitzpatrick
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 1, 2013