Greetings!

  • Purple Allison
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 29, 2012
      Hello practicers of the divine arts!

      My name is Violet Hughes, or simply Purple. I've been a member of the
      SCA for about a decade now, but I'm just starting to actively get
      involved beyond my household. I saw the list of guilds on the East
      Kingdom website and was fascinated and delighted by the fact that
      there's a soothsayers guild.

      The only divination I've dabbled in is dream interpretation. I've
      always had some outrageous dreams and back in high school I read
      through a number of dream dictionaries to figure out what my
      subconscious was telling me.
      I'd be very happy to learn other methods, but I'm not sure where to
      start. Should I take books out of the library? Would books written
      recently differ much from techniques and practices from the period
      covered by the SCA? I'm particularly interested in learning how to
      read tea leaves.

      Thank you for your patience with a beginner,
      Purple

      --
      "When somebody makes fun of you for knitting in public, just smile and
      laugh it off. Because when the zombie apocalypse comes at least you'll
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 29, 2012
        Hi Violet:

        Dream Interpretation is those fascinating topics of study. Historically, it
        has been documented in the bible, excerpts are also found in Egyptian,
        Persian and other historical records too. For period sources, check out the
        Persian book of Omens 'Mar Nameh' which is Zoastrian in origin and a copy of
        it was on display at the Sackler Gallery a few years back.

        Part of the modern basics for understanding dreams is understanding
        symbolism, iits relevance to the dreamscape and dreamer, the action and
        emotion. So, there can be a lot involved.

        Basics to start, reading Joseph Campbell's books on myth and symbolism is
        also important. You should also read or have available several reference
        books on symbols. Edgar Cayce is well known for his dream interpretation
        but can be a bit of a dry read. Jung and Erikson are also dry but gives
        insight to personality, culture and dreamscape.

        As I am not sure how "in depth" you want to get. A background in psychology
        also helps. The mind is a convoluted and unique place and so are its dreams
        and their interpretation. Add to that the "modern" mindset that also
        includes the fanatical imagy of modern media and the twists of
        SCA/historical iconography.

        In the SCA, dream interpretation can be relegated to 2 aspects. The private
        consul or "schitiz" for courts (such as the king having a dream of a large
        dragon chomping and stamping his feet and snorting fire on our borders. ==
        this could be a colorful way of being interpreted in a court as we will soon
        be going to war (Pennsic) with the middle.

        Tea leaf reading is not really my thing, but understanding symbols will hold
        you in good stead here too.

        Hope this helps =

        Genievieve de Charbonneau

        n Returning lurking on the list again J

        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 29, 2012
          Genievieve,

          I know things are crazy for you in modern life, but remember that you are always welcome on the list. No need to lurk; most of us don't bite (if we've had our coffee!).

          Elena

          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 29, 2012
            Welcome, Violet!

            Welcome to the Guild. We were all beginners at one time, and everyone here will be glad to give such help as they are able to.

            The acceptance of divination varied greatly depending on when and where you look. The methods used also varied. Runes were used in northern Europe, and the I Ching comes from the Orient. Tea leaf reading would have been done in areas where there was tea (duh!), and I believe reading of dregs of wine has been mentioned.

            Glad to have you with us!

            Elena