Kaplan's Encyclopedia of Tarot

  • Virginia Taylor
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2008
      I borrowed a set of Kaplan's Encyclopedia of the Tarot from a friend.
      (I may have mentioned him before, Steve has over 100 or is it over
      200 Tarot decks now) because it's going to be a long time before even
      I feel able to afford a set. ( still over $100 even used on Amazon
      http://www.amazon.com/Encyclopedia-Tarot-4-Set/dp/157281540X/
      ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1225562488&sr=8-1 )
      I have ordered the first two volumes because I could get them used
      for $7 and $15, but I'm going to have to wait on volumes 3 and 4
      which are still to rich for my budget.

      On the other hand, WOW! such great information! I've just gotten
      through the first few chapters of the first one- which is, naturally,
      the one with the historical background. I was pleased that Kaplan has
      whole sections on errors and omissions. He's good at getting the
      implications and keeping them straight.

      I'll share some under a different heading to make it easier to find
      if anyone is looking at it for documentation reasons.

      Has anyone else read this yet?
      How many card readers do we have on the list/in the guild?
      Kaplan recounted the story of where he first encountered the Tarot.
      He said that most collectors can remember first discovering them. I
      am not quite sure that I can, although I do remember the first time I
      saw the Visconti deck (at an SCA event- I'm pretty sure it was in
      Østgardr.
      Does anyone else remember when they first saw Tarot Cards? (Just
      curious.)
      Arastorm Tchipakkan
      worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon

    • Jeanne Wardwell
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2008
        I'm a card reader. I first saw Tarot cards in the '70s, I think, but I never
        bought any till the '80s. I saw Kaplan's encyclopedia in the '80s, at least the
        first 2 volumes, but never bought it, and by now I'm sure it's into updated
        editions. Tchipakkan, you're lucky to have found two volumes cheap!
        Congratulations!

        Morwenna
      • earthcrone
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 1, 2008
          Tarot reader here - first heard of them in the late 1960s. Got my first deck in 1972. Started a notebook of what different authors said about each card - typed in 9 point print, it's now about 2 inches thick. And have the first 3 Volumes of the Kaplan Encyclopedia. I've also got enough books on Tarot to fill two bookshelves, and have a collection of decks.

          Linda

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 3, 2008
            --- In eastkingdomsoothsayersguild@yahoogroups.com, "Jeanne Wardwell" <jcwardwell@...>
            Tchipakkan, you're lucky to have found two volumes cheap!
            > Congratulations!
            >
            > Morwenna

            I am a HUGE fan of buying books used from Amazon. I think it leaves a "smaller footprint", as
            well as making things cheaper, and finding things no longer available.
            I'm not sure how I feel about buying used Tarot cards- for use. I think it's fine if you are just
            getting them as a collector, but I think we all know that the cards absorb energies, and I
            don't think I'd be really comfortable using someone else's cards for readings unless I was
            able to "feel" them before buying them. But books? My biggest problem has been with books
            that were owned by smokers- they have to be aired before I can read them. (And there are
            some books that come from occult book shops that just reek of incense!)

            BTW Morwenna- could you write me back off list? my e-mail to Ed about the St. Eligius feast
            bounced- I'm not sure the address on the EK site they have is correct)
          • Tchipakkan
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 3, 2008
              --- In eastkingdomsoothsayersguild@yahoogroups.com, earthcrone <earthcrone@...>
              wrote:

              > Tarot reader here - first heard of them in the late 1960s. Got my first deck in 1972.
              Started a notebook

              I had one like that for a while. But I really don't remember when I first saw the cards. I'm
              pretty sure I started by reading one of the Eden Grey books back while I was in high
              school (after I found out palmistry worked), so that would be the 60s. I probably got my
              first ones at the occult book store in Harvard Square- darn, I can remember where it was,
              but not the name now. I know my first deck was the black and white Thoth Deck- (I was
              young enough to still be impressed by Alister Crowley), but mostly I was more interested
              in Egyptian imagery than medieval- who'd have thunk it? I think it was in my senior year I
              painted my first personal deck on blank index cards. I remember trying to do each one on
              the astrologically significant day, but gave up on that pretty quick. Those cards lasted
              through college anyway.
              But I really don't remember first seeing the cards. I am going to guess that my first
              exposure was on TV or in movies- maybe Dark Shadows? I know that's where I first heard
              the I Ching. I was so disturbed to discover that there weren't squared sticks to make the
              trigrams like they had on DS. I got the big book and tried using the yarrow stalks, but just
              didn't have the patience.
            • earthcrone
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 3, 2008
                Yes, love the Eden Grey books - have several.

                I heard about the I Ching at about the same time as the tarot - a friend of mine did readings using the coins.

                My first tarot book was S.L. MacGregor Mathers - I got it in Marlboro Books for $1. Was still reading the Gypsy Witch Fortune Telling Cards back then. In 1972, when I was doing a reading for my boss, she asked me if these were the real deal - told her no, the real ones were the Tarot...Turns out she had bought a deck for a party, thinking it would be fun, then opened the box and realized how complicated they were, so she put them away. She gave me her deck. I read somewhere that the best decks are the ones given to you unasked for. I found that out - I've never been able to read as well as with that deck. They were actually a bootleg Rider Waite Colman deck - the colors were so much more vibrant. But Waite's daughter Sybil stopped production in a copyright dispute.

                I tried the Crowley deck - but wound up having bad dreams when using them.

                I have a collection of decks, along with a collection of books, but still seem to go back to the Rider Waite Colman (think Pamela Colman ought to get some credit - she was the one who painted the images).

                Actually, my mother's cousin, who died when I was seven, introduced me to the whole psychic thing. She had been a member of the New York Theosophical Society. She had shoe boxed filled with costume jewelry that she brought out when we went to visit. I was allowed to pick out one piece - as long as I could tell her why I chose that piece. Then one day she held two different boxes over my head and asked me to figure out which box had the piece I would want. She told me to open my mind and listen - and I got it - all of five years old at the time. Picked the right box, too. As a test, she told me I could have two pieces if I looked in the second box and found something in that one too - and I couldn't find anything that interested me.

                As for palmistry, I got a really unusual introduction - a department head of a financial audit department that I worked with went for drinks with my boss and I one night (same boss who gave me the cards). While we were talking, he told us he knew some palmistry. To show us, he looked at my palm and told me the initial of my mother's maiden name. I'm adopted - and he got it right!

                Elisot' de Pucceholle
                m/k/a Linda