Re: [EK Sooth Guild] pennsic get together

  • Jeanne Wardwell
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 3, 2007
      Well, we're off to Pennsic tomorrow early. Those of you still reading
      this, wish us well!

      Morwenna
    • Aisin-gioro Biya
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 3, 2007
        hope you arrive safe and sound and have a war without accident, injury, or
        sickness. ;)

        good war for you!

        Since I'm not going this year, i'm helping with Northpass's demo tommorrow
        morning. ususally it's BEFORE pennsic, but since they moved it and since
        the demo is important to the canton, being a good Ostgardrian, I'm taking
        the birds and we're travelling the two hours each way to help out. ;)

        will keep all guildmembers in my thoughts. ;) best wishes!!

        --
        Aisin-gioro Biya
        Company of Medieval Aviculturists
      • Catherine Kane
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 3, 2007
          Well!
          Cathy

          Jeanne Wardwell <jcwardwell@...> wrote:
          Well, we're off to Pennsic tomorrow early. Those of you still reading
          this, wish us well!

          Morwenna

        • Jane Sibley
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 24, 2007
            HI, all!
            There are various types/categories of soothsaying. Divination by cards (standard decks, Tarot) is cartomancy; tea & coffee leaf/grounds reading is tasseomancy; molography (divination by looking at the positions of moles on a person's body and interpreting them from the Zodiacal regions of the body) and phrenology and palmistry are physiognomy; and when you toss or throw objects (I Ching, grains, rune sticks or stones), those are in casting. Cast as in "toss".

            Please note that the modern rune tile system dates back to the 1970s, not earlier; and a disclaimer should be made if you plan to use that technique. It may be older (see Tacitus), but he merely said "notae" on slips of wood. Notae could be runes, but just as easily it could be other symbols.
            arwen

            On 30 Jul 2007, at 14:24, Aisin-gioro Biya wrote:

            > Since I'm new to soothsaying, what do you mean by "castings with
            > them"? Do you mean the traditional method of drawing a select number
            > of runes in a particular pattern such as "Odin's Rule" or the three
            > rune spread of past-present-future?

            By "casting," we're referring to tossing the sticks/stones and
            reading them where they fall, which is a traditional method. Doing
            that with actual stone runes may damage them. Throwing them on
            soft ground would help some, but there's still the danger of them
            breaking while crashing into each other. Casting is also a
            technique used with other materials such as grains; when Arwen
            comes back from Pennsic she can elaborate. Or is the article she
            wrote still on the website?

            I notice that you do not wish others to handle your runes. Then
            your reading technique will be different from those of us who hand
            the runes (or cards or whatever) to the querent for charging with the
            question. Or perhaps you might want a separate set for reading for
            the public as opposed to your personal set. Some people do that
            with cards as well.

            Morwenna