Charter question

  • Judy
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 4, 2003
      I have a question about the charter. It says "Do not make book."
      What does this mean? Thanks.

      Temair
    • Tchipakkan
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 4, 2003
        > I have a question about the charter. It says "Do not make book."
        > What does this mean? Thanks.
        >
        > Temair
        I have always taken it to mean that because we have "special abilities" to
        read the future, we shouldn't take advantage by betting on the results of
        things with those who aren't soothsayers, since we already know the results
        of, say, the upcoming crown. Nice to think they have such faith in our
        abilities isn't it?
        --
        Tchipakkan
        Arastorm the Golden
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 4, 2003
          Judy wrote:
          > I have a question about the charter. It says "Do not make book."
          > What does this mean? Thanks.

          To "make book" is a gambling term: to exchange money for bets on a
          future outcome, as in "to make book on Crown Tourney". I assume that
          means that the Guild should not run any gambling enterprizes based
          on their divinatory processes, yes?

          Steffan ap Kennydd

          --
          Grant me the company of those who seek truth, and
          protect me from those who have found it.