Minister Of Finance to Sign 10th European Development Fund (EDF)

  • John MacDougall
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 25 2:50 PM
      REPÚBLICA DEMOCRÁTICA DE TIMOR-LESTE
      MINISTÉRIO DAS FINANÇAS
      2008 – Ano da Reforma

      Dili, 25 March 2008

      Media Release

      EAST TIMOR'S MINISTER OF FINANCE TO SIGN 10th EUROPEAN DEVELOPMENT
      FUND (EDF)

      The Minister of Finance, Ms. Emilia Pires, as the National Authorizing
      Officer (NAO) on behalf of the Democratic Republic of Timor-Leste and
      His Excellency Juan Carlos Rey Salgado, Head of the European
      Commission Delegation to Timor-Leste will sign today the Country
      Strategy Paper and the National Indicative Program for the 10th
      European Development Fund for 2008-2013, in the presence of the Prime
      Minister of Timor-Leste, His Excellency Xanana Gusmao.

      The 10th EDF provides 63 million Euros for the funding of long-term
      programs divided into four key areas:

      1. Sustainable Rural Development -Thirty five million (35) Euros
      has been allocated for sustained poverty reduction, food security and
      improved service delivery to rural areas. Key areas of focus include
      Infrastructure projects and the provision of clean drinking water and
      electricity.

      2. Health Care- Eight Million (8) Euros has been allocated to
      Health Care, to improve the availability, accessibility and
      affordability of health services in Timor-Leste and for the
      development of a new and robust National Health Plan.

      3. Institutional Capacity Building-Thirteen million (13) Euros
      has been allocated for Institutional Capacity Building for sustainable
      national capacity aimed at improved service delivery cross government
      sectors.

      4. Non focal Sectors- Seven million (7) Euros has been allocated
      to support civil society and the Technical Cooperation Facility

      The EDF initiatives are in line with the AMP Government's current
      agenda to improve conditions in rural areas, provide better services
      to the citizens of the nation while heavily investing into capacity
      building and the development of human resources to provide better
      service delivery.

      The EU has contributed some 266 million Euros to Timor-Leste since
      1999, making up one-half the total assistance to the nation. The
      contribution has proved crucial to the ongoing development of the nation.

      Ms. Pires said, `The European Development Fund is an integral function
      of our national development. The Fund provides valuable resources from
      which we as a government can work in tandem with our development
      partners to achieve national solutions. We would like to take this
      opportunity to express our ongoing gratitude for their support and
      generosity.' END

      For further information, please contact: Ms Ines Almeida, mobile:
      +670 723 0032.