Fwd: [IAEP] OLPC hosting global mapmaking event (Dec 27-31)

  • Edward Cherlin
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 7, 2010
      ---------- Forwarded message ----------
      From: Holt <holt@...>
      Date: Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 10:17
      Subject: [IAEP] OLPC hosting global mapmaking event (Dec 27-31)
      To: Support Gangsters <support-gang@...>, IAEP <iaep@...>, olpc-social@..., "grassroots@..." <grassroots@...>, olpc_boston@..., olpcMAPmakers@..., Boston OSGeo Enthusiasts Discussion <boston@...>

      Beyond Boston's olpcMAP Sprint / Summit itself (previewed below, beautifying the 2-month old http://olpcMAP.net built entirely by volunteers) also watch for:

          * How to Mash Up olpcMAP(s) into Your Own site/app
          * Integrating OLPC/Sugar service learning volunteers into Your Own community
          * 20-30 confirmed participants (RSVP required) from around the US and beyond: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OlpcMAP#Attendees
          * Connecting with the actual OLPC/Sugar volunteers who coordinate in over 50 countries, each doing "God's Work" in their own way
          * Deployments' facts+photos you've never seen, and how CMU Nick Doiron created this map now unleashing them
          * New API & Data Model evolving: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OlpcMAP/data-api
          * Web 2.0 interfaces emerging: http://olpcMAP.net/community
          * Marina Dzobnova's professional survey asking deployments, children, parents and teachers how THEY want themselves & their schools visually getting to know each others' accomplishments, on http://olpcMAP.net

      Subject:OLPC hosting global mapmaking event
      Date:Tue, 7 Dec 2010 00:38:48 -0800 (PST)
      From:Nick Doiron <ndoiron@...>
      To:CrisisCampBoston <crisiscamp-boston@...>

      One Laptop Per Child's office in Cambridge is hosting an olpcMAP
      Sprint / Summit from December 27th-31st.

                [ http://saigonolpc.wordpress.com ]
               [ http://wiki.laptop.org/go/olpcMAP ]

      Topics will include:

      * Digital mapping with the OLPC laptop, including offline maps
      platform supporting GeoRSS and KML (formats of Ushahidi and Google
      Earth) http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Ndoiron/OfflineMap

      * Use of http://olpcMAP.net to map and network schools which use OLPC
      laptops and the Sugar operating system.  The website and the laptops'
      software are free and open source.

      * Using the online map as a medium for photos, storytelling, and
      updates from local communities around the world

      OLPC has shipped two million laptops to schools around the world,
      including Haiti, Afghanistan, and other crisis-stricken regions.
      Educating students about the power of mapmaking and creating a
      communications / content portal serve the long-term interests of
      CrisisCommons.  There has also been discussion of adults using the
      laptops to run Ushahidi and Sahana on a low-cost, low-power, and
      resilient system.

      Please RSVP if you would like to attend part of our map sprint.
      Content-creation is going to be a major focus of December 28-29
      events, so it would be great if some of the crisis mapping community
      could be there.

      Regards,
      Nick Doiron
      Civil Engineering Class of 2011