Re: Fwd: SciDev.Net investigates the benefits of solar technology for the world's poor

  • ricardoolpc
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 4, 2010
      Hi
      I found a very good guide to rooftop solar, that lists some other common problems in Africa, and their solutions.

      http://www.solarnexusinternational.com/shortcuttofailurev1.3.pdf

      Some common problems are :-

      Improper wire size, type and terminal use
      Lack of adequate fuses or circuit protection
      Lack of appropriate PV parallel combiner hardware
      Lack of adequate metering for systems
      Lack of earth grounding
      Lack of wire strain relief and excessive slack in wiring

      It mentions that installers often use too-thin wire, ordinary 240V mains cable. For high-current, low-voltage systems, they should be using a much thicker gauge cable, to reduce the resistance per meter, and voltage-drop per meter.

      You mention using inverters is inefficient. They can be up to 90% efficient, if the installer gets the right type and uses it in the right way, which may not be too bad.

      Ricardo (England)