Re: [earthtreasury] TED: Math Education

  • Edward Cherlin
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2009
      On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 5:20 PM, Grant Bowman<grantbow@...> wrote:
      > http://www.ted.com/talks/arthur_benjamin_s_formula_for_changing_math_education.html?awesm=on.ted.com_1G

      Quite right. You can teach probability and statistics in the context
      of sport and politics, which everybody has a real interest in. All of
      the game records in several professional sports have been published on
      CD-ROM, going back to about 1850 in the case of baseball. (The rest of
      the world prefers either soccer or cricket, or both.) Records in chess
      and go can be traced back much further.

      I recommend the book Money Ball, on how to create a winning team for
      far less money than the Yankees by looking at more appropriate
      statistics than batting average.

      For political statistics, the best current resource is
      http://www.fivethirtyeight.com, Politics Done Right.

      > Grant Bowman
      > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CaliforniaTeam
      >

      > ------------------------------------
      >
      > Please note our rule: Each letter sent here enters the Public Domain unless it explicitly notes otherwise. In case your legal system does not recognize this claim, you may use these letters under CC0 — "No Rights Reserved". http://creativecommons.org/about/cc0
      >
      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      And Children are my nation.
    • twayburn@att.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2009
        Indeed, Grant. I can't think of any example of thorough record keeping that compares with major league baseball, not even the most meticulous scientist. My kid and I watch baseball together on TV and I pose age-appropriate arithmetic problems throughout the game. When all else fails, the prime factorization of players' uniform numbers.

        Tom Wayburn, Houston, Texas
        http://dematerialism.net/

        --- In earthtreasury@yahoogroups.com, Edward Cherlin <echerlin@...> wrote:

        > On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 5:20 PM, Grant Bowman<grantbow@...> wrote:
        > > http://www.ted.com/talks/arthur_benjamin_s_formula_for_changing_math_education.html?awesm=on.ted.com_1G
        >
        > Quite right. You can teach probability and statistics in the context
        > of sport and politics, which everybody has a real interest in. All of
        > the game records in several professional sports have been published on
        > CD-ROM, going back to about 1850 in the case of baseball. (The rest of
        > the world prefers either soccer or cricket, or both.) Records in chess
        > and go can be traced back much further.
        >
        > I recommend the book Money Ball, on how to create a winning team for
        > far less money than the Yankees by looking at more appropriate
        > statistics than batting average.
        >
        > For political statistics, the best current resource is
        > http://www.fivethirtyeight.com, Politics Done Right.
        >
        > > Grant Bowman
        > > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CaliforniaTeam
        > >

        > > ------------------------------------
        > >
        > > Please note our rule: Each letter sent here enters the Public Domain unless it explicitly notes otherwise. In case your legal system does not recognize this claim, you may use these letters under CC0 — "No Rights Reserved". http://creativecommons.org/about/cc0
        > >
        > > Yahoo! Groups Links
        > >

        > --
        > Silent Thunder (默雷/धर्ममेघशब्दगर्ज/دھرممیگھشبدگر ج) is my name
        > And Children are my nation.
        > The Cosmos is my dwelling place, The Truth my destination.
        > http://earthtreasury.org/worknet (Edward Mokurai Cherlin)

      • Walter Bender
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 1, 2009
          FWIW, Brian Smith at Penn St. has developed some math curricuka around
          fantasy sports leagues...

          -walter

          On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 9:53 PM, twayburn@...<twayburn@...> wrote:

          > Indeed, Grant. I can't think of any example of thorough record keeping that
          > compares with major league baseball, not even the most meticulous scientist.
          > My kid and I watch baseball together on TV and I pose age-appropriate
          > arithmetic problems throughout the game. When all else fails, the prime
          > factorization of players' uniform numbers.
          >
          > Tom Wayburn, Houston, Texas
          > http://dematerialism.net/
          >
          > --- In earthtreasury@yahoogroups.com, Edward Cherlin <echerlin@...> wrote:
          >

          >> On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 5:20 PM, Grant Bowman<grantbow@...> wrote:
          >> >
          >> > http://www.ted.com/talks/arthur_benjamin_s_formula_for_changing_math_education.html?awesm=on.ted.com_1G
          >>
          >> Quite right. You can teach probability and statistics in the context
          >> of sport and politics, which everybody has a real interest in. All of
          >> the game records in several professional sports have been published on
          >> CD-ROM, going back to about 1850 in the case of baseball. (The rest of
          >> the world prefers either soccer or cricket, or both.) Records in chess
          >> and go can be traced back much further.
          >>
          >> I recommend the book Money Ball, on how to create a winning team for
          >> far less money than the Yankees by looking at more appropriate
          >> statistics than batting average.
          >>
          >> For political statistics, the best current resource is
          >> http://www.fivethirtyeight.com, Politics Done Right.
          >>
          >> > Grant Bowman
          >> > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CaliforniaTeam

          >> --
          >> Silent Thunder (默雷/धरॠममेघशबॠदगरà¥
          >> ज/دھرممیگھشبدگر ج) is my name
          >> And Children are my nation.
          >> The Cosmos is my dwelling place, The Truth my destination.
          >> http://earthtreasury.org/worknet (Edward Mokurai Cherlin)

          --
          Walter Bender
          Sugar Labs