Re: [earthtreasury] Thomas Kalka: Language Commons, Public Private Property

  • Edward Cherlin
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 5, 2009
      On Fri, Dec 26, 2008 at 1:01 PM, Andrius Kulikauskas <ms@...> wrote:
      > Thomas Kalka, thomas.kalka AT googlemail.com
      > Thank you for your ever thoughtful projects, which I share with several
      > groups at our Minciu Sodas lab. http://www.ms.lt/news.php
      > Who might be interested? and what next steps might we take?
      > Andrius Kulikauskas
      > ---------------------------------
      >
      > Andrius,
      >
      > currently I'm working on two projects, which I would like to share with
      > you, to share it with appropriate people.
      >
      > With greetings from Potsdam,
      > Thomas Kalka
      >

      > Language Commons
      >
      > I would like to create tools, which allow people
      > to get a feeling of the different languages spoken on earth.

      See also http://www.i18nguy.com/unicode-example.html, which emphasizes
      the variety of writing systems used around the world by providing the
      names of famous people as we know them in English, and as they would
      write them in their own countries. (I am a contributor.)

      > One of these tools could be a multi-language book for children,
      > which is translated and recorded in any language spoken on earth.
      > Translations and recordings will be free available on the internet.
      >
      > For a privately run project this is a too big task, so I decided to try to
      > create such a tool publicly on the Internet, possibly in cooperation
      > with other schools around the world, which could collectively use this
      > work for similar purposes.

      I suggest that you look at language support for One Laptop Per Child
      at http://dev.laptop.org/translate

      Languages
      Afrikaans, Amharic, Arabic, Armenian, Aymara, Bahasa Indonesia, Bahasa
      Melayu, Basque, Bengali, Bengali (India), Bislama, Bulgarian, Catalan,
      Chinese (China), Chinese (Hong Kong), Chinese (Taiwan), Croatian,
      Czech, Danish, Dari, Dutch, Dzongkha, English, English (South
      African), English (US), Estonian, Filipino, Finnish, French, French
      (Canada), Friulian, Fula, Galician, Georgian, German, Greek, Gujarati,
      Hausa, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Icelandic, Igbo, Italian, Japanese,
      Kannada, Khmer, Kinyarwanda, Korean, Kreyol, Macedonian, Malayalam,
      Maltese, Marathi, Marovo, Mongolian, Nauruan, Nepali, Norwegian,
      Norwegian Bokmål, Papiamento, Papua New Guinea Pidgin (Tok Pisin),
      Pashto, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Portuguese (Brazil), Punjabi,
      Quechua, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Sindhi, Sinhala, Slovak,
      Slovenian, Solomon Islands Pidgin, Sotho, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish,
      Tamil, Telugu, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Urdu, Uyghur, Vietnamese,
      Walloon, Wolof, Yoruba

      We have translators for each of these languages. This site handles
      software localization, but Earth Treasury is starting a multilingual
      digital textbook project, which you would be welcome to join. Our plan
      is to rethink the nature of teaching on the basis of powerful software
      provided on the OLPC XO, and on powerful ideas, as described in
      Mindstorms: Children, Computers, and Powerful Ideas, Seymour Papert.
      http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Creating_textbooks

      Connecting schools around the world is part of the OLPC and Earth
      Treasury missions. I will suggest to teachers that taking part in such
      a project would be good homework for language students everywhere.

      > Most of the people I asked for support like the idea, so
      > I do have confidence, that this project will work out well.
      >
      > This demands a public domain book, or a copyrighted book
      > with freely usable text.

      Creative Commons ccLearn is a partner in the textbook project. FLOSS
      Manuals is also a partner. They GPL their books. Earth Treasury is
      open to CC or GPL licensing. We prefer licenses that guarantee the
      right of reuse of protected materials, and access to source code or
      other original forms of content.

      > I am especially looking for books fitting these expectations:
      > a) they should be quite short, with a lot of artwork and only little text
      > b) it should tell a story which is universally interesting to children
      > c) the artwork should tell a big amount of the story

      See the OLPC XO Library, containing several children's books in
      English, Spanish, Farsi, and other languages, for which we have the
      necessary permissions. http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Library

      > An ideal sample, I feel, is "The very hungry caterpillar" by Eric Carle.
      > Unfortunately this is a top selling cartoon book for children.
      > I have asked permission to use its text, obviously without success.
      >
      > Current tasks I am working on
      > - invite people to join as translators / speakers
      > - invite people to find/create/lisence an appropriate book
      >
      > http://languagecommons.org
      >

      > Public Private Property
      >
      > PPP is investigating the social patterns
      > which evolve, when physical goods get supported
      > by a convenient infrastructure making them as easy
      > publicly view- and searchable as we get used to
      > handle virtual goods.

      I am interested in this, as supported by conventional e-commerce, and
      the sites where anybody can sell, such as eBay, overstock.com,
      shoppin.com, and so on. Earth Treasury intends to create international
      microfinance programs so that any poor people with something
      appropriate to sell from their own cultural base can get IT and
      financial support to sell on the Net.

      I am also interested in economic research on related questions.

      o What is the effect of bringing everybody into existing markets?

      o What is the effect of giving everybody access to the means of
      production of the Information Age?

      o What is the effect of Free/Open Source software in the global economy?

      Most research on the economics of Open Source has focused on the
      production side: Why do people write Open Source software, and are
      there viable business models for Open Source development. The standard
      answer in the Open Source community to the first question is, "To
      scratch their own itches," which means to create software for their
      own use that others may help maintain and improve. The answer to the
      second question is, Yes, there are viable business models in which a
      company creates Open Source software, and makes money in providing
      services such as customization or consulting on how to use it. There
      are also a lot of non-viable proposed business models, so due
      diligence remains a requirement.

      > One of the main problems evolving towards a
      > peer economy is the problem of transitivity:
      > using money you can "cooperate" with strangers,
      > having a common protocol for transaction.
      >
      > PPP is investigating to discover protocols, which
      > make transactions between strangers as easy as using
      > money.

      The Sugar software for the OLPC XO addresses a different part of the
      same problem: how to collaborate effectively in working on the same
      file at the same time. We can do this with writing, drawing, music,
      and games, and we are working out how to do more of it, including
      scientific/engineering/medical data acquisition, mapping, and much
      more.

      > == Our goals ==
      > * make it easy to publish physical goods to the web
      > * make it easy to find physical goods
      > * make it easy to use physical goods as commons not knowing each other
      > * support the growth of community through co-using things
      >
      > We can not offer solutions to this questions, but
      > maybe we can tell stories, to nourish your imagination.

      Where can we tell our stories about this?

      > === Publish ===
      >
      > You once registered in a social site (like http://ppid.it).
      > You created a personal profile.
      > You are supported with ppid-stickers.
      >
      > If you want to publish a physical good, you take your mobile
      > phone, start the ppp-app, make a picture of the ean barcode of the good, make
      > a picture of one of the ppid-stickers and you are done.
      >
      > This could get even easier, if RFID gets commonly used.
      >
      > === Find ===
      >
      > You are already used to find physical goods on the internet.
      > Anybody wanting to sell something tries to be easily found.
      > But he does not support his competitor to be eaqually easilly
      > found. With PPP goods this is different: there is no competition,
      > so the cooperative effort of individuals to publish and make findable
      > will be free of this artificial scarcity.
      >
      > === CoUse ===
      >
      > The owner of a property and the user agree to a
      > licence agreement, which can be conveniently combined
      > of several PPP-Modules. We are already used to this:
      > the Creative-Commons Licenses are made like this.
      >
      > Possible interesting Modules are:
      > * Transitivity: a user can co-license the usage to a next user,
      > diminishing the work to handle the good (it does not have to be brought
      > back to the owner). This allows for example physical media like DVDs, CDs
      > and Books to travel freely.
      >
      > * Keep It In Order: the user agrees to return the good in good order,
      > beeing responsible for a repair, if he damages it. To ensure this, the
      > user may be asked to join a repair assurance: an association of people,
      > managing a community fund, to pay for repairs.
      >
      > This kind of sharing of physical goods has already started:
      > Networks like Hospitality-Club or Couchsurfing share usage of their
      > private rooms, to allow money-less accomodation around the planet.
      >
      > === Support Community ===
      >
      > The usage of PPP-goods is traceable.
      > Goods create paths of usage, which like minded people can follow, to
      > start common endeavours.
      >
      > If someone in your neighborhood is using similar tools as you do, she or
      > he is a interesting person to talk to, if you have questions or ideas.
      >
      > This might be one of the driving forces behind the success of
      > [[LibraryThing]]: to get to know people with similar or interesting minds.

      I use GoodReads.com for this.

      > == how to go on ==
      >
      > PPP is being created with the confidence, that evolution into supportive
      > structures and culture has to take place in small steps, which individuals
      > can decide to do individually, not depending on bigger structures to
      > change.
      >
      > If you want to join the free software movement, you just do it,
      > individually, by writing free software, publishing your already written
      > software with a free license, or support one of the many projects.

      Or testing, or translating, or providing content, or many other possibilities.

      > To investigate into PPP join our discussion
      > on http://groups.google.com/group/ppid
      > and start publishing things.
      >
      > http://publicprivateproperty.org

      And Children are my nation.