Digital Earth conference

  • Edward Cherlin
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 23, 2007
      I and the OLPC XO laptop got a great reception at the Fifth
      International Symposium on Digital Earth in Berkeley recently. The
      first suggestion was to connect with globe.org.uk, which does global
      mapping through schools, and work out how schoolchildren with XO
      Laptops can contribute data on weather, air and water quality, health,
      agriculture, ecology, and more, to be made into maps that come back to
      the community to help plan farming, business, health care, and other
      activities. Getting children involved in real scientific research with
      a direct payoff to their communities should have a significant
      motivating effect.

      One thought is to link schools in different countries, and do
      fundraising in more prosperous communities to help buy the equipment
      for poorer communities. Perhaps we can work out a microfinance plan,
      or get the children in different countries into business together, so
      it won't just be charity.

      NASA, NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration) and other
      organizations like the idea of getting data from otherwise
      inaccessible locations, and want to work with us on it. We heard of
      possible sources of funding, also.

      --
      Edward Cherlin
      Earth Treasury: End Poverty at a Profit