Eugene Wigner, Ed Siegel & Mark Hetherington and others identified it, now it's happening!

  • Russell D. Hoffman
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2002
      FYI: This letter was sent to several "world-renowned experts" in alloys,
      embrittlement,Wigner's disease, etc. This is part 1 of a 3-part
      email.) Please forward it to politicians, media, etc. Thank you in
      advance) -- Russell D. Hoffman, Concerned Citizen

      --------------------------

      Dear Sir,

      From what we can gather from the newspapers (because the NRC doesn't want
      to talk about it) (see next two emails containing related newspaper articles)

      Just like: Eugene Wigner, Howard Richards, Savage & Nippies, Lai, and Dr.
      Ed Siegel (ref. to his papers will follow in two accompanying emails), and
      then Mark Hetherington and others long predicted, and you gentlemen, are
      world-renowned experts in, these alloys suffer THERMAL INstability in
      fabrication and/or in service, which is additive to radiation
      embrittlement. , it looks like INCO 182 transition-weld OVERrageing
      embrittlement spinodal decomposition is still alive and well and infecting
      our nuclear power plants, both military (see H.M.S. Tire"less") and the
      French nuclear submarine S.S.N. Emeraude (See ref. to follow) and now
      Hamaoka Unit 1 BWR (Toshiba/GE; see Japan Times, Nov. 11th, 17th, and Dec.
      5th, 2001 articles to follow, also go to www.japantimes.com, to find Chubo
      Electric Company's actual photos of their piping failures and weld
      failures, the recent Davis-Besse [see sequential articles to
      follow]. Notice what seem to Dr. Seigel as nearly-unbelievably claims of
      dilute boric acid creating a crevice excavation with root cracking through
      six inches of Carbon-Manganese Pressure Vessel Steel, which had never been
      non-destructive tested, relegating 2200 to 2500 PSI super-heated
      (Beelzebub! ~"666" degrees Fahrenheit water!!!) protection from explosion
      to austenitic stainless steel (first reported as 3/8s of an inch thick, but
      then it swelled to 1/2 by the next day (in the reports, that is, having
      been stretched and thinned in reality). The liner was blistered / extruded
      into the opening at the crack tip when it hit the interface when it was
      discovered on March 11th, 2002.

      It seems to Dr. Siegel that that 3/8ths inch of steel was all that
      protected Sandusky, Cleveland, Columbus, the rest of Ohio, PA, WV, etc.
      from exposure to massive doses of radioisotopes with no core "meltdown" (a
      core blowout instead) -- worse than Chernobyl, causing long-term
      radiological diseases (cancer, leukemia, birth defects) for many
      generations to come for people living downwind, including as far as
      Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maine, etc.. Your families and mine.

      Interestingly, the NRC attempted to cover this up from national media,
      because upon Siegel and myself contacting the Los Angeles Times, the New
      York Times, and the Washington Post at the highest levels, no one knew
      about this "accident waiting to happen".

      Siegel's thinking is as follows (and/or): One is thermal hydrolysis of
      boric acid breaking up borate anion (BO3) releasing elemental Boron which
      could replace the carbon in the Fe3C cementite and Mn23C6 carbides in the
      Pressure Vessel Steel (PVS), converting them to Carbo-borides (Fe3BC) or
      completely to borides and/or Mn23(B,C)6 or completely to borides (Fe3B)
      and/or Mn23B6 (with presumably different specific precipitate volumes
      and/or different precipitate thermal expansion coefficients, slowly wedging
      crack tip open to propagate crack completely through PVS outer shell (much
      like water cracking and spalling in cement). And/or concomitantly boric
      acid thermal hydrolysis liberated hydrogen diffusing laterally and radially
      into the PVS, forming either H2 bubbles and/or CH4 and/or gettering carbon
      from Fe3C to form methane (CH4) bubbles under, again, huge pressures, both
      cooperating to propagate cracking through ferritic PVS. If the latter
      happens, the diffusion of the hydrogen should be as well parallel to PV
      surface so that hydrogen and/or methane bubbles at quite some distance
      laterally from initial boric acid drip zone trench. This could be readily
      detectable via ultra-sonic pulse-echo NDE at significant distances from
      boric-acid drip zone trench.

      Would appreciate your comments on these two scenarios.

      This is of course a lay person's summary of my conversation with Dr.
      Siegel, who has asked me to alert you to this incident, and who suggests
      you look at this material with great deliberation and depth, and we would
      appreciate your making your conclusions known to senator Ed Markey, via his
      Chief of Staff David Moulton. Here is his email address:

      "David Moulton" <David.Moulton@...>

      Please give him your opinions about how boric acid could possibly thermally
      degrade (etch) a crevice or crack through this ferritic steel, and whether
      that could be connected with the ubiquitous INCO 182 transition weld
      "SUPER" alloy, and Inconel-600 control rod sleeves' extensive Wigner's
      Disease/Ostwald Ripening / OVERageing Embrittlement /
      Spinodal-Decomposition/Thermal-leading-to-mechanical
      INstability/"Sensitization" (not hugging trees!)

      (Local former workers and current workers at San Onofre Nuclear Power Plant
      in San Clemente, CA (near Ed and nearer me) have a theory that the crack
      might have propagated outwards.)

      Just in conclusion the fact that the companies won't even look is pretty
      scary and the NRC isn't requiring immediate nationwide crack testing of
      similar Pressurized Water Reactors (about 69 of our ~100 reactors are PWRs).

      I'm not a metallurgist; however Ed and I have spoken about these issues for
      scores of hours. We spoke over the phone for several hours about Hamaoka
      when our conversations on those were interrupted and . Please spread this
      around so that others are aware of this incident.

      Here is Dr. Siegel's current email address:
      "Dr.Ed. Siegel" <tat@...>

      The NRC refuses to give Siegel additional information and instead, they
      have lots of PR and Spin Doctoring, but according to Dr. Siegel, who has
      spoken to upper, middle, and lower level personnel at the agency, "they
      haven't technically a clue". (See article stating "we never envisioned
      this in our wildest dreams".) Siegel's gut feeling is that this could be
      sabotage. Mine is that it's stupidity, criminal negligence, and/or
      carelessness, which in the end has nearly amounted to the exact same
      thing. But Davis-Besse is just one of many, and none have been looked at
      properly with NDE.

      See Massachusetts Senator Ed Markey's web site for information on
      infiltration of nuclear power plants, contractors, and possibly the DOE and
      NRC by Muslim extremists, if not outright terrorists, many with nuclear
      engineering credentials.

      Please forward this to all the people you can, especially politicians and
      media.

      Sincerely,

      Russell D. Hoffman
      A Concerned Citizen
      Carlsbad, CA

      ** THE ANIMATED SOFTWARE COMPANY
      ** Russell D. Hoffman, Owner and Chief Programmer
      ** P.O. Box 1936
      ** Carlsbad CA 92018-1936
      ** (800) 551-2726
      ** (760) 720-7261
      ** Fax: (760) 720-7394
      ** Visit the world's most eclectic web site:
      ** http://www.animatedsoftware.com