A sad story of poison repeated at most every lake... This time its Black lake

  • olyecology
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 28, 2013
      Full length text for this article
      http://www.theolympian.com/2013/07/28/2643243/black-lake-residents-fed-up-with.html
      is copied below:

      _Commentary on article:_ What it takes to have a healthy lake with clear
      clean water and perfect visibility to the lake's bottom has to do with
      eliminating pollution sources, mechanical weeding, planting/restoring
      healthy vegetation, increasing oxygenation, restoring fecundity and
      diversity to the food chain...

      Of course instead people who are worried that their expensive waterfront
      real estate is going to be crippled by a lake that looks more and more
      like a cesspool every year are told that the only hope is to raise
      hundreds of thousands of dollars to give to chemical companies to poison
      their lake to death again and again. And maybe there are some very rare
      instances that one time use of poison is the only way, but that's needs
      to be the rarest exception not the only solution. Of course chemical
      companies profits are at stake so deception and misinformation is
      essential to their business plan.

      "Help me Obi Wan Monsanto, you're my only hope!" Or at least that's what
      residents of Black Lake are led to believe...

      Anyways, I saw this article in the Olympian and it has chemical company
      swindle written all over it!

      It's sad too, because, as always we're convinced that menacing
      non-native invaders are a thousand times more evil than they really are
      and that they must be killed off no matter how much collateral damage
      the poison that kills them creates. The problem of course is ignorance
      of human caused nitrogen pollution and general neglect, which makes even
      the healthiest bodies of water quickly look like green blooming mats of
      toxic death. We've a poem-song recording on our website about it here:
      http://armedwithvisions.com/2013/04/29/ken-turner-nuhhey-lake

      Be well, Deane
      --------------------

      Residents seek special district to raise annual funds to remove lake's
      invasive species
      http://www.theolympian.com/2013/07/28/2643243/black-lake-residents-fed-up-with.html

      By CHELSEA KROTZER--- ckrotzer@...

      People living along the shoreline of Black Lake have grown tired of
      invasive species plaguing their waters and have taken it upon themselves
      to eradicate the problem.

      A nonprofit group dubbed the Save Black Lake Coalition is hoping to
      create a special district, giving members the authority to collect funds
      and clean up the lake.

      With the help of Thurston County, the group has received two large
      grants from the Department of Ecology. The first $40,000 grant was
      toward a study and creation of a plan to rid the lake of invasive species.

      Residents also raised a required 25 percent match for the $40,000 grant.

      The second --- for $50,000 --- helped put part of the plan in place. The
      group needs another $50,000 for the entire plan and is applying for a
      second $50,000 grant.

      The money helped pay for a chemical used on non-native lily pads that,
      if gone unchecked, could lead to difficulties navigating the lake,
      disruption of water flow, and negative impacts to water quality and
      habitat, said Vernon Bonfield of the coalition.

      A special district means the coalition could acquire more funding by
      annually collecting money from residents to go toward the cleanup of
      Black Lake.

      "We aren't happy with the quality of the lake," Bonfield said. "We don't
      want it to get worse --- we want it to get better and are willing to pay
      to make sure the lake is properly managed."

      Other lakes around Thurston County have lake management districts,
      including Lake Lawrence and Long Lake.

      Under lake management districts, the county is responsible for
      implementing programs and raising revenue, according to Rich Doenges,
      water resources planning coordinator with Thurston County.

      "A special district, once it's fully enforced, becomes an independent
      form of local government," Doenges said. "It is not connected to the
      county other than the treasurer's office will support collecting revenue
      for them and some entities will use some county services, but it's
      through an inter-local agreement process."

      The next step toward that goal is a hearing Monday where the public will
      be able to express thoughts on the potential district.

      Jim Bachmeier, county resource stewardship manager, said the county
      commissioners will use public testimony to help determine whether a
      special district would be beneficial to a majority of the community and
      if the benefits of the proposed district projects outweigh the cost of
      improvements.

      The commissioners would then determine whether to hold an election among
      the residents for the special district. The community gathered more than
      50 signatures on a petition to get the issue to its current point.

      Bonfield said they were hoping to have a budget of about $150,000
      annually and would be collected from those living in the Black Lake
      Special District boundary.

      The proposed boundary includes 160 lakefront homes, 400 upland homes
      with lake access, and five lakefront public access areas, including the
      Department of Fish and Wildlife boat launch, Kenneydell Park and
      Columbus Park.

      Bonfield said they mirrored the special district plan off Long Lake's
      lake management plan.

      The community hopes cutting off the invasive plant problems early will
      save it the almost $500,000 it cost Long Lake residents to fix their
      weed problem.

      "You couldn't access certain parts of the lake with a boat," Bonfield said.

      The main species causing issues at Black Lake are milfoil, yellow flag
      iris and fragrant water lilies.

      Residents have already put some plans in place, such as having volunteer
      divers lay biodegradable burlap bags filled with pea gravel on the lake
      bed around docks and swimming areas to cut down on species such as the
      slender water-nymph.

      "They grow around docks and shallow areas, then get uprooted and
      snowball with one another and end up floating around the lake," Bonfield
      said. "One strand of it can be 4 feet to 6 feet long and snarls around
      everything."

      Chelsea Krotzer: 360-754-5476
      ckrotzer@.../thisjustin
      <http://theolympian.com/thisjustin>@chelseakrotzer