Rod Coronado on the Animal Liberation Movement

  • Ima Vegan
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2005
      http://www.infoshop.org/inews/article.php?story=20051120204630184

      Infoshop News
      Thursday, December 01 2005 @ 08:00 AM PST
      Statement by Rod Coronado about the Animal Liberation
      Movement

      Animal RightsWhile not all of us agree with the
      opinions and actions of groups such as the Animal
      Liberation Front, Earth Liberation Front and
      Revolutionary Cells, the discussion of such groups
      actions and strategies is always worthy of respect as
      part of a healthy exchange of ideas and theories that
      is a hallmark of any legitimate movement endeavoring
      to keep pace with an ever increasing flood of animal
      abuse and environmental destruction.

      Statement by Rod Coronado
      November 18, 2005

      [nb: Rod Coronado is an environmental and animal
      rights activist, author, and former member of the
      Animal Liberation Front who recently appeared on CBS
      News 60 Minutes program with Animal Liberation Press
      Officer Dr. Jerry Vlasak, speaking out about the use
      of direct action on behalf of animal liberation. Fee
      free to post this elsewhere.]

      This statement is in response to recent tremors once
      again felt in the animal rights movement related to
      our support, encouragement and explanations of illegal
      acts to save animal lives and homes.

      While not all of us agree with the opinions and
      actions of groups such as the Animal Liberation Front,
      Earth Liberation Front and Revolutionary Cells, the
      discussion of such groups actions and strategies is
      always worthy of respect as part of a healthy exchange
      of ideas and theories that is a hallmark of any
      legitimate movement endeavoring to keep pace with an
      ever increasing flood of animal abuse and
      environmental destruction. Attempts to discourage such
      discussions by privileged members of this country’s
      ruling elite (be they white, male, middle-class,
      career paid staff, etc.) resembles too much the
      arguments put forth by the polite abolitionists
      societies of the 19th century when acts of human
      liberation and freedom violated the moral
      sensibilities and principles of such non-oppressed
      groups of self appointed individuals of others
      suffering.

      No amount of discussion and questioning of our path
      towards the liberation of all oppressed individuals
      should ever be discouraged and never should those that
      promote it be chastised by others in the movement who
      claim to “know better”. The opinions and views of some
      of our movement’s most uncompromising voices for the
      Earth and animals has crept into the public
      mainstream’s psyche only because people like Paul
      Watson, Ingrid Newkirk and Dave Forman were courageous
      enough to express them in times of unpopularity, often
      with the loudest criticisms from within our own ranks.

      Discussions that include the rationale for using
      physical violence to achieve animal liberation are
      simply the practical and moral progression of a
      movement that must acknowledge its own double
      standards and hypocrisy when defending the lives of
      those we argue are morally equal to ourselves. The
      families of animals’ and individuals themselves
      suffering in laboratories and fur farms are no less
      capable of feeling great sorrow and suffering than our
      own families if it were or own son’s and daughter’s
      being tortured be it in Huntington Life Sciences or
      U.S. controlled interrogation and torture centers in
      Afghanistan, Iraq and Cuba.

      If the animal rights movement in the privileged heart
      of America most responsible for such abuse truly
      believes in equal rights for all species as I surely
      do, discussions of tactics that include physical
      violence cannot be ignored. Limiting or preventing any
      discussion while others debate the best mode of
      resistance to the suffering of others is a betrayal to
      those we claim to represent and a betrayal to the
      heroic spirit of resistance that was emblazoned by
      John Brown, Harriet Tubman, Frederick Douglass, the
      French Resistance and the Jews of the Warsaw Ghetto
      who all advocated the use of arms to achieve
      liberation.

      To think that our struggle is any different is naVve
      and a failure to recognize the true identity of the
      animals’ and our own oppressor as being the same evil
      force that has blanketed our beautiful planet with war
      and violence long enough.
      Recent discoveries of U.S. sponsored torture centers
      in Iraq where victims had their skin partially removed
      should remind us that the Earth and animals’
      oppressors have repeatedly demonstrated zero capacity
      for compassion even for their own species. If
      nonviolent tactics do not put an end to such
      atrocities carried out in our name in our time, we are
      obligated as representatives of those suffering not
      only to abandon those tactics which have failed us,
      but also to explore other avenues of resistance which
      historically time and time again have proven to be
      what is necessary to stop such state-sponsored
      violence.

      In closing, I respect and appreciate the views shared
      by people like Jerry Vlasak who are courageous enough
      to risk what this society has given them in order to
      speak out against the same society’s duplicity respect
      for life. While not the principles of the ALF or ELF,
      I as an indigenous descendant of a family forced to
      defend themselves with armed struggle, cannot deny
      that now is an appropriate time to discuss such
      tactics.

      I’ve always battled with my own hypocrisy, for if it
      was my own son in the clutches of HLS or some other
      corporate or governmental death chamber, not only
      would I employ every means available to rescue them,
      but do whatever was necessary to ensure that those
      responsible were forever unable to commit such
      atrocities ever again.

      For the Earth and Her Animal People,
      Rod Coronado

      Yahoo! Music Unlimited