4/1: Major Heinz and KFC Food Scandals in China!

  • SIUHIN@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2005
      Major Heinz and KFC Food Scandals in China
      And U.S. Corporate Media Completely Censored It!

      EnviroWatch: Project of Peace No War Network
      April 1, 2005

      Http://www.PeaceNoWar.net

      Completely hidden by U.S. Corporate media, for the past month Chinese health
      officials found China's Kentucky Fried Chicken chains and Heinz ketchup
      (both are U.S. Corporations) has been using banned highly toxic cancer-causing
      red industrial dye, Sudan I on their sauces.

      Heinz recalls its dye-fouled products
      By Zheng Caixiong (China Daily)
      Updated: 2005-03-07 07:54
      _http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/doc/2005-03/07/content_422397.htm_
      (http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/doc/2005-03/07/content_422397.htm)

      GUANGZHOU: Heinz, a goliath international food manufacturer, has issued a
      national recall of chilli sauces and chilli oils that may contain the red
      industrial dye, Sudan I.

      The recall follows news of fast food giant McDonald's withdrawing some
      products in Britain after the dye, believed to cause cancer, was found in some
      food products.

      "Heinz has told its distributors and sales agencies across the country to
      recall the suspected products," said Charles Chyi, regional president of Heinz
      (China) Investment Co Ltd.

      "And we know where our products are now being sold in the mainland," Chyi
      told a press conference yesterday afternoon in Guangzhou, capital of South
      China's Guangdong Province.

      List of products
      Heinz provided a list of products that must be recalled on the Chinese
      mainland and has given it to its distributors and wholesalers, Chyi added.
      But Chyi refused to reveal just how many products will be recalled because
      of the carcinogen nationwide.

      Chyi promised to co-operate with the Chinese Government to further
      investigate the problem that has raised great concern at home and abroad.

      He said his company is considering importing advanced technology and
      equipment, along with expanded co-operation with other labs at home and abroad to
      help test for the dye in the coming years to prevent similar incidents.

      According to a local quality supervision department, six products produced
      by Heinz companies are suspected of containing Sudan I.
      The products include: chilli sauces, oils and extracts.

      Christina Sng-Lye, president of the Heinz Meiweiyuan (Guangzhou) Food Co
      Ltd, subsidiary of Heinz, urged consumers to send in suspected products to her
      company.

      Sng-Lye promised to pay compensation to consumers.

      So far, Heinz is the first and only company that has been inspected to have
      produced the products containing the dye in Guangdong.

      In the wake of nationwide inspections for the dye, law enforcement personnel
      from the Guangdong Provincial Administration of Quality Supervision have
      sealed up many sauces and oils that contain Sudan I over the past couple of
      days.

      The products that have been sealed up have included 60,624 bottles of pepper
      oil, 119.4 kilograms of pepper extract, 66,636 bottles of pepper sauce,
      713.9 kilograms of pepper powder, 1,800 bottles of red vinegar, and 34,155
      bottles of seafood sauce. In addition, some other dyes, additives and related
      materials and products that were produced by a subsidiary of Heinz, were sealed,
      according to Ren Xiaotie, deputy director of the Guangdong Provincial
      Administration of Quality Supervision.

      Meanwhile all supermarkets in this Guangdong provincial capital have been
      required to stop selling pepper related sauce and oil products manufactured by
      Heinz, said Ren.

      "The move aims to ensure all the food products sold in the southern
      metropolis meet the State's hygiene requirements and protect people's health," Ren
      told local media yesterday .

      Ren said his administration started a province-wide inspection on pepper-
      and sauce-related products beginning yesterday.

      He promised to seriously punish those who use, produce and sell the products
      that contain Sudan I after they are inspected.
      Inspections

      Ren said quality supervision departments across the province will also
      expand inspections of Heinz's food suppliers and related companies this week to
      find the sources of Sudan I.

      Sudan I is used for colouring solvents, oils, waxes, petrol, shoes and floor
      polishes.

      The dye was found by the Food Standards Agency of Britain on February 18 in
      a batch of chilli powder made by Premier Foods, one of the largest food and
      beverage companies in Britain. The agency also found some of the dye in
      products made by other companies, including Schweppes, Coca Cola, Unilever and
      Heinz.

      China banned imports of any food containing the carcinogenic substance on
      February 23.

      On Friday, the State Administration for Quality Supervision, Inspection and
      Quarantine required the Heinz Meiweiyuan (Guangzhou) Food Co Ltd to recall its
      affected products.

      KFC found using banned dye Sudan I
      Xinhua News Agency, China
      Updated: 2005-03-17 10:03
      _http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/doc/2005-03/17/content_425851.htm_
      (http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/doc/2005-03/17/content_425851.htm)

      All KFC outlets in China stopped selling New Orleans roast chicken wings and
      chicken hamburgers Wednesday after the cancer-causing food coloring, Sudan
      I, was found in the sauce Tuesday.

      According to a statement released Wednesday by Yum, KFC's parent company,
      the remaining "unsafe" sauce will be destroyed. Yum did not release the name of
      the sauce supplier.

      "We feel deeply sorry for this food safety accident and promise it will
      never happen again," said the statement.

      The statement also said KFC have already found new sauce supplier and the
      New Orleans roast chicken wing is expected to be back on sale next week.

      Sudan I is a red dye used for coloring solvents, oils waxes, petrol and shoe
      and floor polishes.

      It cannot safely be used in food as it can increase the risk of cancer.
      Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC) first stepped in the Chinese market in 1987. It
      now has 1,200 outlets in 260 cities nationwide.

      In fact, KFC is not the only case in this "red colorant storm."

      China launched a severe food safety inspection when Sudan I was detected in
      a pepper sauce brand, Meiweiyuan, produced by the Guangzhou-based
      Heinz-Meiweiyuan Food Co., Ltd.

      The discovery was made in a routine inspection early this month and
      thousands boxes of the sauce were destroyed.

      According to the China's General Administration for Industry and Commerce,
      food containing Sudan I had passed into China's municipalities, provinces and
      autonomous regions including Beijingand Shanghai.

      Beijing's food safety office announced Wednesday that not only the pepper
      sauce and the chili oil, but also all other flavoring products made by the
      Heinz-Meiweiyuan Food Co., Ltd. have been banned in the country's capital.

      ActionLA
      Action for World Liberation Everyday!
      Tel: (213)403-0131
      e-mail: Info@...