Update from Seattle: Peaceful marching and tear gas

  • Hayduke Rocks!
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 1999
      Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 22:40:41 -0800 (PST)
      From: GlobalizeThis! <gthis@...>
      To: hayduke@...
      Subject: Peaceful marching and tear gas

      Update from Downtown Seattle

      <http://www.globalizethis.org> and <http://www.ruckus.org>

      The streets of Seattle were filled with protest today - and
      probably again tomorrow.

      The opening day of the Ministerial Conference was foiled by
      activists crowding the streets. Delegates were unable to
      reach the Conference Center due to all the people sitting in
      the street.

      Groups of protestors met this morning in small groups around
      the downtown area and then converged on the Conference
      Center. The activists formed human chains in the main
      intersections, preventing the delegate's motorcade from
      passing. Eventually, WTO Director Michael Moore admitted
      defeat and suggested that the delegates "go to lunch" and
      try again in the afternoon. The afternoon events were
      delayed and the attendance was minimal. The WTO couldn't
      meet today - because too many people were sitting in the
      way.

      What a fantastic display of critical mass.

      A few members of the crowd vandalized storefronts, broke
      store windows, lit dumpsters on fire and tipped over
      newspaper boxes, diminishing public and police support for
      the demonstration.

      Police used pepper spray gas, rubber bullets and paintballs
      to clear a couple of key intersections in the city and to
      push back crowds. Reports from the protestors claim the
      police fired as they were retreating. The Mayor of Seattle
      has declared a "State of Emergency" and CNN reports that two
      units of the National Guard will be called in tomorrow
      (Wednesday) to help police keep the peace.

      Will the WTO be able to meet to decide the fate of our
      planet, jobs and the environment? Not if the protestors who
      filled the streets today have their way.

      A note to those who think destroying property is a good
      idea: Vandalism is tacky. Imagine Martin Luther King, Jr. or
      Gandhi are marching/sitting/locked down with you and if they
      would like to help you smash a window or light a dumpster on
      fire.

      Solidarity! Peaceful Protest!

      Sam

      Local webcams, activist media and online radio shows are linked
      on the globalizethis.org website. Watch and listen from your destop
      if you can't be in Seattle.

      <http://www.globalizethis.org> and <http://www.ruckus.org>

      Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 23:55:40 -0800 (PST)
      From: GlobalizeThis! <gthis@...>
      To: hayduke@...
      Subject: Peace, Whackos, Flash Grenades

      One Perspective on Today's Events...

      From Doug Hunt, sitting in a safe place while flash grenades
      go off below, thinking and writing about this most
      significant and historic day.

      Originally posted on The Other Economic Summit Listserve.

      For more first-person accounts of the events downtown today,
      visit the Indy Media site on the web at:
      <http://www.indymedia.org>

      This is the last email until news tomorrow...

      Sam webweaver for <http://www.globalizethis.org> and
      <http://www.ruckus.org>

      From: Doug Hunt in Seattle <dhunt@...>
      To: TOES97@...
      Date: Tuesday, November 30, 1999 20:52
      Subject: In Seattle .....

      Hello all,

      I am in Seattle, safe from now for a police gone paranoid
      after a very few whackos despite everyone's best efforts got
      out of line and resorted to violence, even beating down
      demonstrators that tried to get them to stop -- there are
      really a total of about 50/200 roudies --

      Seattle is a city under essential martial law at the moment,
      as national guard troops are moving in to ensure that
      wealthy overlords can finish their planned agenda for
      stealing more of the sustenance from the world's peoples to
      line their already overflowing pockets.

      Sorry, I have helicopters overhead, and percussion and flash
      grenades going off in the streets outside and I am quite
      upset at the moment. It is, however, a moment that will
      clearly demonstrate to even wealthy Americans that the
      powers of oppression will stop at nothing to ensure that
      their plans are not interrupted.

      My only hope is that this week ends without anyone being
      dead. But I fear now that this is not possible. Now we have
      had some very nasty people show up in the aftermath of the
      police's insane response to peaceful demonstration and a few
      bullies determined to create violence. We have local
      opportunists and nasties coming out and being called
      demonstrators by the ever sensationalistic, corporate owned
      media.

      This morning and afternoon I was with 30,000 peaceful,
      happy, celebrating people demonstrating and closing down the
      WTO for the day. This is the response those who believe
      themselves to be the masters of the universe, so that they
      do not have another day taken from them by the people.

      It is a very bittersweet day...

      It is, still an historical moment, perhaps a millennial
      moment and the events of this night -- the police wait until
      dark here and then come in their black body armour as if
      ordinary people were evil demons to be feared and hated.
      This could well be the night that the sham of developed
      world democracy began to be unmasked for what it has become
      all over the world ... the plutocratic puppet of the
      corporate and individual gluttons that prey upon the rest of
      the world and its peoples, much like rapists prey upon their
      victims and take what can never be recovered or restored.

      In a week or so I may be less dramatic. I will never be the
      same. I have never seen the like, not even at Kent State.

      Prayers and thought are desperately needed. Doug

      Greenpeace Press Alert

      Greenpeace Tells WTO It Must Practice Safe Trade

      SEATTLE, November 29, 1999 -- The true test for
      governments participating in the World Trade Organization
      trade talks in Seattle this week is whether they will agree to
      practice �safe trade� or continue to undermine existing
      environmental agreements, Greenpeace said today.

      For a full copy of today's press release, visit the following URL:

      http://www.greenpeaceusa.org/media/press_releases/99_11_29.htm

      Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 17:49:17 -0500
      From: FAIR-L <FAIR-L@...>
      Subject: [FAIR-L] Initial Reports from Seattle Gloss Over WTO Issues

      FAIR-L
      Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
      Media analysis, critiques and news reports

      Media Advisory: Initial Reports from Seattle Gloss Over WTO Issues

      December 1, 1999

      As trade ministers from over 130 countries meet in Seattle this week for the
      World Trade Organization summit, tens of thousands of activists from all
      over the world have converged on the city to protest both the undemocratic
      structure of the group and its record on labor and environmental issues.

      But the news coverage anticipating the protests has shed little light on the
      specific charges being made against the WTO by most of the protesters. As
      the conference gets under way on November 30, a few trends in the coverage
      have already emerged.

      To begin, news stories preceding the conference demonstrated a fundamental
      lack of understanding of the issues involved. A November 1st article in US
      News & World Report was headlined "Hell No, We Won't Trade: How an obscure
      trade organization became a lightning rod for protest." While one can debate
      the merits of labeling a group with international jurisdiction over global
      trade an "obscure" organization, "We Won't Trade" is a grossly misleading
      characterization of the anti-WTO arguments.

      The article goes on to note that "For the moment, the movement against free
      trade seems to have little traction in the United States." This is a
      puzzling conclusion for an article that notes that "up to 50,000
      demonstrators" are planned to "attend mass rallies, a march, teach-ins and
      prayer services" to protest the Seattle trade meeting. Nonetheless, the
      assertion is backed up by this: "All major presidential candidates support
      free trade and the WTO."

      Reports prior to the summit, and many appearing this week, argue that the
      WTO stands to "open up" trade around the globe. That is inaccurate, as Dean
      Baker pointed out recently in FAIR's Economic Reporting Review
      (http://www.fair.org/err/991108.html ):

      "While its rules are designed to facilitate foreign investment, such as a
      U.S. auto manufacturer building a factory in Indonesia, in other areas the
      WTO has taken little action to facilitate trade, while in some areas its
      rules are intended to impede free trade. In the case of professional
      services, such as those provided by doctors, lawyers and other highly paid
      professionals, the WTO has done virtually nothing to facilitate
      international trade and competition. In the case of intellectual property
      claims, such as patents and copyrights, the WTO has worked to impose these
      protectionist barriers on developing nations, at an enormous cost to their
      consumers."

      Nor do many media accounts explain what the protesters are focusing on--in
      most cases, a specific set of concerns and issues that have been before the
      WTO in the past few years (summarized well at
      http://www.accuracy.org/press_releases/PR112999.htm ). ABC's Peter Jennings
      commented that "it seems as though every group with every complaint from
      every corner of the world is represented in Seattle this week."

      CBS Evening News explained some of the background on the same night's
      newscast, but bungled one of the core criticisms of the WTO. Dan Rather
      reported that the WTO had ruled on many environmental issues, but declined
      to make the simple point that the WTO has ruled *against* environmental
      restrictions in every case that has come before it. Indeed, Rather's
      reference to the WTO's ruling on "fishing restrictions aimed at saving
      endangered species" might have mislead viewers into thinking that the WTO
      was intervening on behalf of threatened animals.

      Some reports, rather than dealing with the concerns of the protestors,
      instead focused on the hypothetical danger they pose. Tony Snow's first
      question to teamsters president James Hoffa, Jr. on Fox News Sunday
      (11/28/99) was: "Do you worry that there's going to be any violence there?"
      Likewise, NBC Nightly News (11/29/99) devoted their lead WTO segment to
      security concerns in Seattle ("The stakes are high, so is the security, so
      is the provocation"), highlighting local authorities' precautions against "a
      potential chemical or biological attack."

      The report was followed by a segment by NBC financial correspondent Mike
      Jensen extolling the benefits of free trade. Jensen concluded that "most
      experts say getting rid of trade barriers on both sides is a good thing for
      American workers and consumers. But no matter what comes out of this
      four-day meeting--and a lot of analysts don't think it will be much--world
      trade has such momentum, almost nothing can get in its way."

      Yet, as Dean Baker points out in a recent ERR, there is "near consensus
      among economists that trade has been one of the factors that has increased
      wage inequality in the United States over the last two decades." But that
      "consensus" is decidedly harder to find in mainstream press accounts.

      The theme of free trade "momentum" is also present in a story on MSNBC's
      website (http://www.msnbc.com/news/340513.asp ), which includes a link to a
      special section encouraging readers to "find out more about the hurdles on
      the way to free trade."

      Similarly, a recent Associated Press report called protesters' concerns
      "far-fetched," and continued by noting that "for every campaigner lying
      down on a sidewalk this week to protest the WTO's efforts to reduce trade
      barriers, there is a happily employed Seattleite whose job depends on free
      commerce."

      A disturbing indication of mainstream media attitudes toward coverage of the
      WTO meeting came when ABC's Seattle affiliate announced that it would "not
      devote coverage to irresponsible or illegal activities of disruptive
      groups," adding that "KOMO 4 News is taking a stand on not giving some
      protest groups the publicity they want.... So if you see us doing a story on
      a disruption, but we don't name the group or the cause, you'll know why." In
      a revealing choice of words, news director Joe Barnes described civil
      disobedience as "illegally disrupting the commerce of the city." (KOMO has
      requested comments on its policy at tips@... .)

      This decision by a corporate-owned news outlet to explicitly ignore the
      messages of groups practicing civil disobedience underscores the importance
      of independent journalism. Organizers in Seattle have made a priority of
      setting up an independent media center (http://www.indymedia.org ), and much
      is planned for the coming week, including a daily newspaper, a daily radio
      broadcast (World Trade Watch Radio, http://www.radioproject.org ) and
      from-the-scene video documentaries that will be available via satellite to
      many public television stations.

      For more information, see FAIR's Resources on Trade at
      http://www.fair.org/issues-news/trade.html .

      ----------

      Feel free to respond to FAIR ( fair@... ). We can't reply to
      everything, but we will look at each message. We especially appreciate
      documented example of media bias or censorship. All messages to the
      'FAIR-L' list will be forwarded to the editor of the list.

      Also, please send copies of email correspondence, including any

      Feel free to spread this message around. Put it on conferences
      where it is appropriate. We depend on word of mouth to get our message
      out, so please let others know about FAIR and this mailing list.

      Don't miss a single e-mail from FAIR-L.

      You can subscribe to FAIR-L at our web site:
      http://www.fair.org/emaillist.html
      Or, you can send a "subscribe FAIR-L enter your full name"
      command to LISTSERV@....

      The subscriber list is kept confidential, so no need to worry about
      spammers.

      You may leave the list at any time by sending a "SIGNOFF FAIR-L"
      command to LISTSERV@....

      Please support FAIR by becoming a member.
      You will receive FAIR's magazine, EXTRA! and its newsletter, EXTRA!
      Update. You can become a member by calling 1-800-847-3993 from 9 to
      5 Eastern Time (be sure to tell them you got the information
      on-line) or by sending $19 with your name and address to:

      FAIR/EXTRA! Subscription Service
      P.O. Box 170
      Congers, NY 10920-9930

      FAIR
      (212) 633-6700
      http://www.fair.org/
      E-mail: fair@...

      list administrators: FAIR-L-request@...

      Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 17:57:07 -0800 (PST)
      From: George Peach
      Subject: Re: News From Downtown Seattle!
      To: Hayduke Rocks! <hayduke@...>

      Damn troublemakers! There they go again. Thank god!

      ####################################

      Andy Caffrey, founder
      Hayduke Rocks! an Earth First! Media and Action Network
      [previously aka EF! Media Center]
      NEW E-MAIL ADDRESS: hayduke@...
      NEW, EXPANDED WEB SITE! http://www.efmedia.org

      December 1, 1999

      Ouch! It's been a hot, dry summer and fall (so far), and I don't mean the
      weather. We haven't received a single donation all summer (OK, we have now
      received two--Thank you, Nashville and Santa Cruz!). Please help with a
      contribution now, if you can.

      We're trying to remove the obstacles to your involvement and bring more
      people together to do more powerful things. Why not print out this e-mail
      and share it with your friends and cohorts who don't use computers? Please
      spread the word, send money, do what you can to keep this activist support
      project happening... And Keep Rockin'!

      $100 from 60 people will float this project for a year:
      http://www.efmedia.org/60.html

      Please make payable to Earth First!
      Thanks.

      Earth First!
      P.O. Box 324
      Redway, CA 95560
    • john vance
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 5, 1999
        For you!

        To all:

        Since there has been so much discussion of the
        bank-and-store smashing that took place in
        Seattle with no participation by the smashers themselves,
        following is a communique from
        some of the people who organized themselves to destroy
        corporate property on November
        30. I'm sure many will still disagree with their actions,
        but this at least shows that 1) the
        property destruction had a well-considered political
        purpose; and 2) contrary the ridiculous
        assertion that has been spreading in some circles, the fact
        that some people refuse to adhere
        to absolute (I would say pathological) pacifism does not
        mean they are cops or
        provocateurs.

        Best to all,
        Scott Fleming

        N30 Black Bloc Communique
        by ACME Collective 10:48am Sat Dec 4 '99

        A communique from one section of the black bloc of N30 in
        Seattle:

        On November 30, several groups of individuals in black bloc
        attacked various corporate
        targets in downtown Seattle. Among them were (to name just a
        few):

        Fidelity Investments (major investor in Occidental
        Petroleum, the bane of the U'wa tribe in
        Columbia)

        Bank of America, US Bancorp, Key Bank and Washington Mutual
        Bank (financial
        institutions key in the expansion of corporate repression)

        Old Navy, Banana Republic and the GAP (as Fisher family
        businesses, rapers of Northwest
        forest lands and sweatshop laborers)

        NikeTown and Levi's (whose overpriced products are made in
        sweatshops)

        McDonald's (slave-wage fast-food peddlers responsible for
        destruction of tropical
        rainforests for grazing land and slaughter of animals)

        Starbucks (peddlers of an addictive substance whose products
        are harvested
        at below-poverty wages by farmers who are forced to destroy
        their own forests in the
        process)

        Warner Bros. (media monopolists)

        Planet Hollywood (for being Planet Hollywood)

        This activity lasted for over 5 hours and involved the
        breaking of storefront windows and
        doors and defacing of facades. Slingshots, newspaper boxes,
        sledge hammers, mallets,
        crowbars and nail-pullers were used to strategically destroy
        corporate property and gain
        access (one of the three targeted Starbucks and Niketown
        were looted). Eggs filled with
        glass etching solution, paint-balls and spray-paint were
        also used.

        The black bloc was a loosely organized cluster of affinity
        groups and individuals who roamed
        around downtown, pulled this way by a vulnerable and
        significant storefront and that way by
        the sight of a police formation. Unlike the vast majority of
        activists who were
        pepper-sprayed, tear-gassed and shot at with rubber bullets
        on several occasions, most of
        our section of the black bloc escaped serious injury by
        remaining constantly in motion and
        avoiding engagement with the police. We buddied up, kept
        tight and watched each others'
        backs.
        Those attacked by federal thugs were un-arrested by
        quick-thinking and organized members
        of the black bloc. The sense of solidarity was
        awe-inspiring.

        THE PEACE POLICE

        Unfortunately, the presence and persistence of "peace
        police" was quite disturbing. On at
        least 6 separate occasions, so-called "non-violent"
        activists physically attacked individuals
        who targeted corporate property. Some even went so far as to
        stand in front of the
        Niketown super store and tackle and shove the black bloc
        away. Indeed, such
        self-described "peace-keepers" posed a much greater threat
        to individuals in the black bloc
        than the notoriously violent uniformed "peace-keepers"
        sanctioned by the state (undercover
        officers have even used the cover of the activist
        peace-keepers to ambush those who engage
        in corporate property destruction).

        RESPONSE TO THE BLACK BLOC

        Response to the black bloc has highlighted some of the
        contradictions and internal
        oppressions of the "nonviolent activist" community. Aside
        from the obvious hypocrisy of
        those who engaged in violence against black-clad and masked
        people (many of whom were
        harassed despite the fact that they never engaged in
        property destruction), there is the racism
        of privileged activists who can afford to ignore the
        violence perpetrated against the bulk of
        society and the natural world in the name of private
        property rights. Window-smashing has
        engaged and inspired many of the most oppressed members of
        Seattle's community more
        than any giant puppets or sea turtle costumes ever could
        (not to disparage the effectiveness
        of those tools in other communities).

        TEN MYTHS ABOUT THE BLACK BLOC

        Here's a little something to dispel the myths that have been
        circulating about the N30 black
        bloc:

        1. "They are all a bunch of Eugene anarchists." While a few
        may be anarchists from Eugene,
        we hail from all over the United States, including Seattle.
        In any case, most of us are familiar
        with local issues in Seattle (for instance, the recent
        occupation of downtown by some of the
        most nefarious of multinational retailers).

        2. "They are all followers of John Zerzan." A lot of rumors
        have been circulating that we are
        followers of John Zerzan, an anarcho-primitivist author from
        Eugene who advocates
        property destruction. While some of us may appreciate his
        writings and analyses, he is in no
        sense our leader, directly, indirectly, philosophically or
        otherwize.

        3. "The mass public squat is the headquarters of the
        anarchists who destroyed property on
        November 30th." In reality, most of the people in the
        "Autonomous Zone" squat are
        residents of Seattle who have spent most of their time since
        its opening on the 28th in the
        squat. While they may know of one-another, the two groups
        are not co-extensive and in no
        case could the squat be considered the headquarters of
        people who destroyed property.

        4. "They escalated situations on the 30th, leading to the
        tear-gassing of passive, non-violent
        protesters." To answer this, we need only note that
        tear-gassing, pepper-spraying and the
        shooting of rubber bullets all began before the black blocs
        (as far as we know) started
        engaging in property destruction. In addition, we must
        resist the tendency to establish a
        causal relationship between police repression and protest in
        any form, whether it involved
        property destruction or not. The police are charged with
        protecting the interests of the
        wealthy few and the blame for the violence must be placed
        upon those who protest those
        interests.

        5. Conversely: "They acted in response to the police
        repression." While this might be a more
        positive representation of the black bloc, it is
        nevertheless false. We refuse to be
        misconstrued as a purely reactionary force. While the logic
        of the black bloc may not make
        sense to some, it is in any case a pro-active logic.

        6. "They are a bunch of angry adolescent boys." Aside from
        the fact that it belies a disturbing
        ageism and sexism, it is false. Property destruction is not
        merely macho rabble-rousing or
        testosterone-laden angst release. Nor is it displaced and
        reactionary anger. It is strategically
        and specifically targeted direct action against corporate
        interests.

        7. "They just want to fight." This is pretty absurd, and it
        conveniently ignores the eagerness of
        "peace police" to fight us. Of all the groups engaging in
        direct action, the black bloc was
        perhaps the least interested in engaging the authorities and
        we certainly had no interest in
        fighting with other anti-WTO activists (despite some rather
        strong disagreements over
        tactics).

        8. "They are a chaotic, disorganized and opportunistic mob."
        While many of us could surely
        spend days arguing over what "chaotic" means, we were
        certainly not disorganized. The
        organization may have been fluid and dynamic, but it was
        tight. As for the charge of
        opportunism, it would be hard to imagine who of the
        thousands in attendance _didn't_ take
        advantage of the opportunity created in Seattle to advance
        their agenda. The question
        becomes, then, whether or not we helped create that
        opportunity and most of us certainly
        did (which leads us to the next myth):

        9. "They don't know the issues" or "they aren't activists
        who've been working on this." While
        we may not be professional activists, we've all been working
        on this convergence in Seattle
        for months. Some of us did work in our home-towns and others
        came to Seattle months in
        advance to work on it. To be sure, we were responsible for
        many hundreds of people who
        came out on the streets on the 30th, only a very small
        minority of which had anything to do
        with the black bloc. Most of us have been studying the
        effects of the global economy, genetic
        engineering, resource extraction, transportation, labor
        practices, elimination of indigenous
        autonomy, animal rights and human rights and we've been
        doing activism on these issues for
        many years. We are neither ill-informed nor unexperienced.

        10. "Masked anarchists are anti-democratic and secretive
        because they hide their identities."
        Let's face it (with or without a mask)--we aren't living in
        a democracy right now. If this week
        has not made it plain enough, let us remind you--we are
        living in a police state. People tell us
        that if we really think that we're right, we wouldn't be
        hiding behind masks. "The truth will
        prevail" is the assertion. While this is a fine and noble
        goal, it does not jive with the present
        reality. Those who pose the greatest threat to the interests
        of Capital and State will be
        persecuted. Some pacifists would have us accept this
        persecution gleefully. Others would tell
        us that it is a worthy sacrifice. We are not so morose. Nor
        do we feel we have the privilege
        to accept persecution as a sacrifice: persecution to us is a
        daily inevitability and we treasure
        our few freedoms. To accept incarceration as a form of
        flattery betrays a large amount of
        "first world" privilege. We feel that an attack on private
        property is necessary if we are to
        rebuild a world which is useful, healthful and joyful for
        everyone. And this despite the fact
        that hypertrophied private property rights in this country
        translate into felony charges for any
        property destruction over $250.

        MOTIVATIONS OF THE BLACK BLOC

        The primary purpose of this communique is to diffuse some of
        the aura of mystery that
        surrounds the black bloc and make some of its motivations
        more transparent, since our
        masks cannot be.

        ON THE VIOLENCE OF PROPERTY

        We contend that property destruction is not a violent
        activity unless it destroys lives or
        causes pain in the process. By this definition, private
        property--especially corporate private
        property--is itself infinitely more violent than any action
        taken against it. Private property
        should be distinguished from personal property. The latter
        is based upon use while the
        former is based upon trade. The premise of personal property
        is that each of us has what
        s/he needs. The premise of private property is that each of
        us has something that someone
        else needs or wants. In a society based on private property
        rights, those who are able to
        accrue more of what others need or want have greater power.
        By extension, they wield
        greater control over what others perceive as needs and
        desires, usually in the interest of
        increasing profit to themselves.

        Advocates of "free trade" would like to see this process to
        its logical conclusion: a network
        of a few industry monopolists with ultimate control over the
        lives of the everyone else.
        Advocates of "fair trade" would like to see this process
        mitigated by government regulations
        meant to superficially impose basic humanitarian standards.
        As anarchists, we despise both
        positions.

        Private property--and capitalism, by extension--is
        intrinsically violent and repressive and
        cannot be reformed or mitigated. Whether the power of
        everyone is concentrated into the
        hands of a few corporate heads or diverted into a regulatory
        apparatus charged with
        mitigating the disasters of the latter, no one can be as
        free or as powerful as they could be in
        a non-hierarchical society.

        When we smash a window, we aim to destroy the thin veneer of
        legitimacy that surrounds
        private property rights. At the same time, we exorcize that
        set of violent and destructive
        social relationships which has been imbued in almost
        everything around us. By "destroying"
        private property, we convert its limited exchange value into
        an expanded use value. A
        storefront window becomes a vent to let some fresh air into
        the oppressive atmosphere of a
        retail outlet (at least until the police decide to tear-gas
        a nearby road blockade). A
        newspaper box becomes a tool for creating such vents or a
        small blockade for the
        reclamation of public space or an object to improve one's
        vantage point by standing on it. A
        dumpster becomes an obstruction to a phalanx of rioting cops
        and a source of heat and light.
        A building facade becomes a message board to record
        brainstorm ideas for a better world.

        After N30, many people will never see a shop window or a
        hammer the same way again.
        The potential uses of an entire cityscape have increased a
        thousand-fold. The number of
        broken windows pales in comparison to the number broken
        spells--spells cast by a
        corporate hegemony to lull us into forgetfulness of all the
        violence committed in the name of
        private property rights and of all the potential of a
        society without them. Broken windows
        can be boarded up (with yet more waste of our forests) and
        eventually replaced, but the
        shattering of assumptions will hopefully persist for some
        time to come.

        Against Capital and State,

        the ACME Collective

        "Peasant Revolt!"
        Disclaimer: these observations and analyses represent only
        those of the ACME Collective
        and should not be construed to be representative of the rest
        of the black bloc on N30 or
        anyone else who engaged in riot or property destruction that
        day.