To our new ERFarmers 2009 Crew

  • Glowing Feather Maji
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 8, 2008

      Rosie and I want to thank each one of you for your efforts to come to our farm. We are humbled by your desire to help us and to learn how to live organically and in balance with the nature that surrounds you and along with other volunteers collective cooperating with each other to enable Earth Rose Farm to become a productive volunteer permaculture community.

      I would like to share with each of you from reading your resumes. I also would like for each of you to send to all the above volunteers that are to join you a little about your self and what your interest are. Send as reply to all. These are the January Folks that are presently booked.

      GlowingFeather Maji  Jan to May 2009 USA

      Rosie Maji               Jan 1 to April 1, 2009    USA

      Makena Henriksen  Jan 1 to February 21, 2009     USA

      Jennifer Sanchez            Jan 3 to January 31, 2009       USA

      Rachel Gerber    Jan 3 to January 31, 2009       USA

      Justin Seeley       Jan 3 to January 31, 2009   USA

      Kelci Pauk                        Jan 9 to April 16, 2009           USA

      Schuyler Timmons     Jan 18 to Feb 11, 2009          USA

      Welcome all of you and I will respond to each of your resumes skills and knowledge of organic farming in regular print than respond in this Italic print. We encourage communicztion skills, self starters and know that there is so much for all of us to learn together.

      To Makena AGE: 20    Lopez Island, WA LANGUAGES SPOKEN (include competency level):  English (first); Spanish – beginner/intermediate

      You will like are area of the country lots of Spanish for you to practice. We will speak English at the farm but you can along with other volunteers have practice groups. Our local worker & neighbors also speak Spanish and can speak with them.

      EDUCATION (list degrees and current or past programs of study including at home or online studies):  Fairhaven College – Western Washington University 2006 –present

      I am currently designing my degree/concentration; focusing on human ecology/food systems and nutrition/health. Relevant courses:  "Food for Thought" - 3 class course including ecology, social  theory and humanities, based on the study of food and human food systems.

      Lopez Island High School Graduated June 2006 Relevant courses: Ecological Food Production – biodynamic farming methods and farm cooking at S & S Homestead

      Wow these are great skills. Please keep a record of your daily learning on the farm. It can maybe give you experience credits from your school. We will be willing to do this for any volunteer to get extra credit for your help working the farm. You can study our food system and offer help. You will be developing along with the rest of us day to day operations. Real life on the farm. Your cooking skills will be well shared I am sure for our community meal program. It's always the best I have eaten all year when we all take turns in cooking. You will also meet the several folks that are coming for February and will be there for my big 60TH birthday party on Feb 12. Also excited about your dad coming we had a mom come last year.

      To Jennifer AGE: 27 Berkeley , CA. fluent in Spanish and English

      Your language skills will be a great value with other volunteers as well with local workers and community.

      EDUCATION (list degrees and current or past programs of study including at home or online studies):  Bachelors of Science in Communication at University of Miami

      double major in Film and Anthropology.  Sept. 1998- May 2002

      There used to be an Indian community around our farm and the river that runs through our land. You will have fun exploring the area you might even find arrowheads.

      Merritt College - Landscape/ Horticulture Dept. Jan 2008-Present;

      currently completing my Permaculture Design Certificate and working on Horticulturalist certificate

      We will encourage your participation in helping us with our design. We also will offer all the work that you do on the farm be accredited toward your educational pursuits. We have a variety of landscapes and have been birming for the past two years to get the land more viable. We will be bringing lots of supplies for a good irrigation system as it does dry out for the winter.

      RELEVANT WORK EXPERIENCE (include dates and places and volunteer work)

      1.  Intern at Conservatory of Flowers in Golden Gate Park- San Francisco, CA Spring semester thru may 2008

      We have many many varieties of wild orchids and eating flowers like yucca. We would love some one in specializing and naming some of our orchards. You will be encouraged to lead groups and share your knowledge

      2.  Volunteer-Yogi Hari's Ashram

      Last year we have had early morning yoga groups. We hope to build a platform for us to have morning classes before breakfast. We can all share in leading some yoga techniques. I find it refreshing to awake early to yoga at sunrise which is around 5 to 5:30 in the winter. I hope to plan to do some workshops in Early February at the farm and on the Pacific beach at Dominical called Heart's Song Life's Dance an awakening of body, mind & spirit with Movement, sound & breath utilizing techniques from Yoga, meditation and group Improv. Quite fun

      3.  7.5 acres of organic Fruit orchard and raised vegetable bed. Also a yoga center offering Yoga Teacher Training courses. Became certified Beginner Yoga Instructor while Volunteering in the garden.

      We really want to build raised veggie beds your skills will be appreciated by Rosie she is bringing many seeds for us to grow. We encourage if you have any seeds to bring especially fruit trees that can grow here in the tropics. Be careful in telling them you have seeds of any kind. It's a gray area although we bring in many seeds in our stored luggage.

      4.  Natural Building Projects: Dry composting toilet and bamboo structure (Merritt College, Oakland, CA landscape/horticulture dept.)

      We do have access to a bamboo farm and growing bamboo on the land. We have some construction done on a composting toilet and would love your help to complete it. We will be open to bamboo to be made curtains in the bunk room.

      Straw-bale greenhouse construction (Merritt College, Oakland, CA environmental studies dept.)

      This may be another great project on the land please bring any materials you can on these or any other ideas you may have.

      To Rachel Age 28 LANGUAGES English, Spanish

      Great skills to have Spanish language on the farm to teach others and help us communicate with the locals.

      EDUCATION (list degrees and current or past programs of study including at home or online studies): B.A. in Cultural Anthropology at New College of Florida 1998-2002

      There are some Native Americans near our area and we are so interested in creating a tribal balance with the ancient and the new. We will also encourage any way we can give you credit for your learning program.

      Master of Social Work ( MSW ) and Community Organizing at Hunter College, NYC 2004-2006

      We especially need crew leaders that can organize others without seeming like a boss. It's a fine line because we are all volunteers and to get all in a team effort is quite remarkable.

      RELEVANT WORK EXPERIENCE (include dates and places and volunteer work)

      1998- Intern and assistant to palm curator at Fairchild Tropical Garden, Miami Florida

      2000- Intern at the Hebrew University Botanical Garden in Jerusalem

      2004- Traveled through Central America and Mexico and attended some informal permaculture discussions at the international rainbow gathering in Costa Rica

       I attended the international rainbow in Costa Rica am known as Glowing Feather. Will love your ideas on permaculture and be open to your input on bettering Earth Rose Farm

      May- October 2008- Completed the ADAMAH farming fellowship in Falls Village, CT where we worked a 4 acre field (traditional row crops), brewed bio-diesel, maintained a small goat dairy, performed maintenance tasks on the grounds, participated in leadership trainings, and fermented and sold value-added products, such as pickles, jams, kimchi, kraut, etc.

      Your skills there will be lots of opportunity to work with others. We need to get more out put on our farm and you can help a lot. We have farmers market 2 days a week where we can once we get something harvested from the farm. We do have at times Lots of oranges for marmalade and other fruits like star fruit & mangos.  We would love to know more albout all your skills. We are looking into Bio Fuel. We may be getting goats if you know anything about them would be helpful. Dear Rachel you seem very well balanced and looking forward to your observations. You will like the others they seem very much like minded folks.

       To Justin  Age 25 Oakland CA. English, Spanish (non native speaker)

      EDUCATION:  BA: English Literature- San Francisco State University

      Merritt college: currently completing a two semester Permaculture Design certification.

      Check with your college if you can get credit for the work you do on the farm. We will be willing to help you to get credit. We have books at the farm but encourage you to bring any relevant materials to learn and to share with others.

      RELEVANT WORK EXPERIENCE (include dates and places and volunteer work)

      -volunteer at Yogi Hari's ashram (2 week stay), an eight acre organic fruit tree orchard, with a small area of raised beds for legumes and vegetables.

      Great skill along with others coming with raised beds. We want to build them on the farm. We have terraced gardens that are birmed but also interested in developing raided beds.

      -volunteer at Merritt College permaculture garden and fruit tree guild (June 08-present)

      We have hundreds of fruit trees: oranges, bananas, plantains, star fruit, papaya, coconut, mango etc. many more planed along with hardwoods in the spring.

      Natural Building projects:

      -dry composting/urine diverting toilet and pee-pee-ponics system at Merritt College

      We will need a pee pee ponic system. Bring any materials you can. We have a mostly completed compost toilet but need to finish it.

      -strawbale greenhouse at Merritt College's environmental studies department

      Sound interesting will look into seeing if we can do it on our land. Bring any books oar plans on the subject.

      -earth plaster interior remodel at the BioFuel Oasis in Oakland Ca.

      Any building skills will be appreciated for sure we will be open to your ideas.

      Dear Justin there seems to be a lot of interest in Yoga and our land is very refreshing in early mornings. Also we will be having workshops at the farm and on the beach during the winter. The land is very conducive to growth of plants as well as spiritual foundation like yoga and meditation. We will earn every day how to work together and to communicate effectively.

      :To   Kelci   age 18  LANGUAGES SPO KEN   English (n a tive), Sp a nish (good)

      EDUCATION

      • 2008 High school gr a du a te – 4.0 GPA
      • AFS Study Abro a d progr a m – I lived with a loc a l f a mily a nd studied for a ye a r in Us hu a i a, Argentin a (2006-2007)

      You will be the youngest but your experience in Argentina will be appreciated. Your language skills will come in handy in town and with the community around us. If you will stay through April you will have the benefit to see the reaping of all the seeds we plant early. We do hope that you will learn form the other volunteers who will have many skills to share along with Rosie and I. We will be growing daily with new challenges every day to learn from. The greatest teach is Earth Rose Farm herself. She teaches us every day how to live in her abundance.

      Schuyler AGE:  24 Olympia, WA. English and just a little Spanish (not much)

      You will learn more Spanish there are many volunteers that speak both

      EDUCATION : Bachelor of Science from the Evergreen State College- mostly focused on Ecology, but I took a broad range of classes.

      You will get real experience on the farm to go along with college. The local workers know so much and we hope to have one on the farm to help us.

      RELEVANT WORK EXPERIENCE (include dates and places and volunteer work)

      Since this past May I have been and currently am working at a small Organic Vegetable farm here in Olympia, WA. I work full time and I love it.

      You know than about the watering and weeding and constant looking after the baby plants. It is hard sometimes boring work but the harvest is the result.

      I grew up on lots of land in Vermont where I helped in the huge gardens that my mom and dad had.

      You will love the wide open land we offer and the beautiful river at the bottom. We hope to make lots of trails.

      My interests lay in learning how to be self sufficient in all respects, while trying to make a little money while doing it.

      We hope to be able to produce some produce from the farm to sell at the beach or at the local farmers market. If we make money of any of your ideas or projects we will like to split the profit after cost.

      I am a eager learner, and I would like to improve my knowledge and skills in respect to growing food, raising livestock, natural building, renewable energy sources, and much more

      We encourage all of that. We have lost all our livestock from the summer but will be looking into getting some jersey milk cows, some egg laying hens and maybe a goat and horse. Hope to keep you motivated and plus with the quality of other volunteers you will fit in good.

      So I again want to thank you all and looking forward to your efforts on Earth Rose Farm. My suggestion is bring any nuts, dried fruit, special spices, and music on ipods, charger available. Bring books to share and stories to tell around the camp fire at night.

      Rosie and I will send to all of you a little about ourselves. I will also post on our group site but not with your emails so others can learn about you and offer ideas. I encourage all of you to explore our site and the link section. Ask any question and share some of your ideas. Our group web space is for all to learn form each other. Again thanks and see you all soon.

    • jdennisg@ymail.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 27, 2008
        Just a suggestion. I have heard from others that luggage that is
        scanned with the new X-Ray equipment should not contain seeds, as the
        radiation to which they are exposed will kill the germ within, and
        they will not germinate. Best to hide them (well) in your carry-on, or
        in your pockets. At the Costa Rica airport now they scan everything
        again, including the carry-ons, purses, and everything, so the BEST
        bet it to keep them on your person when going through the very last
        step. One friend used a padded bra with the stuffing removed! - dennis
      • cmfsublime7@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 2, 2009
          i just came in december with all my seeds and they were in my luggage that went under the plane.... i just spent a month on a farm in the carribean and germinated many of my seeds, they dont seem to have been affected by the x ray machine......but thanks for the warning i will be more carful next time.....looking forward to arriving at earth rose tommoirrow!  jenny