Spring Recorder Workshops, Feb. 2 and March 2

  • AM
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 18, 2013
      The Desert Pipes, Phoenix-area chapter of the American Recorder Society, invite you to our spring workshops. Please visit our Web site at www.desertpipes.org or email us at info@... for more details.

      Saturday afternoon, Feb. 2, with Tom Zajac of Piffaro:

      "Puzzlers and Enigmas in Renaissance Music"

      Tom Zajac, acclaimed multi-instrumentalist and member of early music ensembles Piffaro and Ex Umbris, will make a stop in Phoenix for our workshop on his way to Tucson to perform with the vocal ensemble The Broken Consort, part of the Arizona Early Music Society series. At our workshop, Tom will lead us in an exciting afternoon of working our way through musical "puzzlers" - canons, enigmas, and other clever compositional devices used by composers during the Renaissance.

      This workshop will be preceded by a morning play-in led by Ann Koenig.

      Saturday all day, March 2, with Anne Timberlake of Wayward Sisters:

      "Savvy Recorder Playing: Think – Dance – Enjoy!"

      Anne Timberlake has appeared across the United States performing repertoire from Bach to 21st-century premieres to Celtic tunes. She holds degrees in recorder performance from Oberlin Conservatory, where she studied with Alison Melville, and Indiana University, where she studied with Eva Legene and won the 2007 Early Music Institute Concerto Competition. She is a founding member of the ensemble Wayward Sisters, which will perform at Central United Methodist Church in Phoenix on Saturday evening and on Tucson's Early Music Society series on Sunday afternoon, March 3.

      About our Desert Pipes workshop, Anne says: "A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing, but it also makes playing the recorder more fun! We'll use tidbits from the fields of science, history, and dance to enliven and enrich our playing. What does motor learning research teach us about the best way to practice? What's a framework we can use to think about playing as we age? Does being a murderous blowhard make you a bad composer? How do you dance the galliard, and why would you want to? We'll answer these questions and more in a Saturday celebration of the art and science of recorder playing."

      Location:

      Both workshops will be held in Page Hall of the Orangewood Presbyterian Church, 7321 N. 10th St., Phoenix AZ 85020.

      For more information:

      Please visit the Desert Pipes Web site at www.desertpipes.org or email us at info@....