Phoenix recorder & string workshop in Feb.; recorders in April

  • AM
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 9, 2012
      Happy new year, recorder and string friends!

      The new year is an exciting one for the Desert Pipes, Phoenix chapter of the American Recorder Society. Please join us for our two spring workshops, one for recorders and strings, and the other just for recorders.

      In case you haven't already registered, here are the details. We look forward to seeing you in the spring!!

      AROUND THE WORLD WITH PIPES & STRINGS
      Saturday, February 25, 9:30 am �5:00 pm

      Annette Bauer and Shira Kammen bring their expertise and energy to the desert for a journey around the world with a variety of styles of music. Acclaimed performers and teachers from the San Francisco Bay Area, Annette will lead the morning sessions and Shira will join us in the afternoon to offer additional classes, including fun with improvisation and creative approaches to the music we love. String players are welcome to all sessions! (There will not be any sessions just for strings, however.) Workshop tuning is A = 440.

      Annette and Shira are members of the ensemble Can蓾on鋨 (http://www.canconier.com/), which will perform in the Arizona Early Music Society series in Tucson on Sunday afternoon, Feb. 26 (http://www.azearlymusic.org/).

      Both Shira and Annette are teachers for the San Francisco Early Music Society Summer Workshops (http://www.sfems.org/).

      Fees for the Feb. 25 workshop for recorders and strings:

      Desert Pipes full-year dues member: $15 any time
      ARS member, not Desert Pipes full-year member: $35 ($25 before Jan. 25)
      Not ARS member, not Desert Pipes full-year member: $40 ($30 before Jan. 25)

      CHARACTER THROUGH THE AGES
      Saturday, April 14, 9:30 am �5:00 pm
      Sunday, April 15, 1:00 �4:30 pm
      Lessons available Sunday morning

      Louise Austin leaves her home in chilly Wisconsin for recorder fun in the sun to lead us in an exploration of the often charming and sometimes challenging �ersonalities�and characteristics found in recorder literature, from ancient to modern, including arrangements and adaptations for recorder, dance music, and of course, going Baroque! She�l also share her recipe for a tasty feast of recorder technique from appetizer through dessert. In addition to all-day Saturday and Sunday afternoon workshop sessions, Louise will offer individual and ensemble lessons on Sunday morning.

      Louise is a certified ARS teacher, dancer, lecturer and performer. She served as a member of the national ARS board of directors for 16 years, and many years as music review editor of American Recorder magazine. Founder of the Oak Park (IL) Recorder School, Inc., Director of the Early Music Festival �Whitewater (WI) for 23 years, and Music Director of the Milwaukee Area Recorder Society, Louise is also a member of the Genera Consort. She teaches private and group lessons in Wisconsin.

      Fees for the April 14 & 15 workshop for recorders:

      Desert Pipes full-year dues member: $25 any time
      ARS member, not Desert Pipes full-year member: $60 ($50 before March 14)
      Not ARS member, not Desert Pipes full-year member: $65 ($55 before March 14)

      Lesson fees will be paid directly to Louise. Details to come.

      Location: Both workshops will be held at Orangewood Presbyterian Church, 7321 N. 10th St., Phoenix AZ 85020, where we had our chapter's 50th anniversary party in 2010.

      Registration form: Please email info@... for a registration form.

      Please share this email and information with your recorder and string friends. For more information, please email us at info@... and visit our newly-designed Web site at www.desertpipes.org.

      We look forward to seeing you at our spring workshops!

      Your friends in the Desert Pipes