oiling

  • immanueldavis
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 1, 2008
      Dear List,

      Is it bad if the thread on my traverso gets wet from oiling? Or does it not matter? Someone
      once told me that if the threads get soaked from oil that it will be bad for the wood
      underneath and the sound itself will suffer. Any thoughts?

      thanks,

      Immanuel Davis
    • rod cameron
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 1, 2008
        Hello Immanuel!

        A natural cold pressed oil, such as almond grape seed, etc., does not hurt wood,

        Dry off any excess oil, using a paper towel and apply more 'thread grease'.

        Always lightly grease before each assembly to keep thread in a new condition.

        An easy source of thread grease is to use 'Chapstick' lip balm.

        Do not use Vaseline.

        Regarding harming the flute wood, each person's personal experience is valid, as an experience, but often does not hold up to the light of day objectively, in controlled reproducible tests confirmed by others.  I am always interested in controlled tests that other's can confirm?

        Meanwhile, your flute sound will be much more influenced by how well you slept last night, your practice, preparation, and the time between stepping off a plane and onto a concert stage.

        best wishes!

        Rod

        Roderick Cameron
        PO Box 438
        10580 William street
        Mendocino,  CA 95460,  USA
        Studio: 707 937 0412
        Mobile: 707 813 7593
        Home:  707 937 9921

        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 1, 2008
          Hi Rod,

          Thanks for the speedy answer and helpful tips. So, I shouldn't be worried if the threads get
          oil on them? Do you think there might be long term effects from oil getting on the threads
          from repeated oiling? I don't know why this worries me so much!

          thanks,

          Immanuel
        • rod cameron
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 1, 2008
            Don't worry, Immanuel!

            Overplaying when a flute has not been used for a while is more important to be conscious of, and adjusting the threads by unwinding a few cm if the socket feels too tight, or adding a little more thread if needed.  Secure but not tight is what you want.

            print and read this for flute care background ....

            best

            Rod

            Roderick Cameron
            PO Box 438
            10580 William street
            Mendocino,  CA 95460,  USA
            Studio: 707 937 0412
            Mobile: 707 813 7593
            Home:  707 937 9921

            On Oct 1, 2008, at 7:23 PM, immanueldavis wrote:

            Hi Rod,

            Thanks for the speedy answer and helpful tips. So, I shouldn't be worried if the threads get
            oil on them? Do you think there might be long term effects from oil getting on the threads
            from repeated oiling? I don't know why this worries me so much!

            thanks,

            Immanuel

          • allaindu
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 2, 2008
              Hi Rod
              Can you explain us why vaseline is bad for greasing threads
              thanks!
              Philippe

              --- In earlyflute@yahoogroups.com, rod cameron <rcameron@...> wrote:

              > Don't worry, Immanuel!
              >
              > Overplaying when a flute has not been used for a while is more
              > important to be conscious of, and adjusting the threads by
              unwinding
              > a few cm if the socket feels too tight, or adding a little more
              > thread if needed. Secure but not tight is what you want.
              >
              > print and read this for flute care background ....
              >
              > http://www.gruk.net/lars/rodflutecare.html
              >
              > best
              >
              > Rod
              >

              > Roderick Cameron
              > PO Box 438
              > 10580 William street
              > Mendocino, CA 95460, USA
              > Studio: 707 937 0412
              > Mobile: 707 813 7593
              > Home: 707 937 9921
              >

              > On Oct 1, 2008, at 7:23 PM, immanueldavis wrote:
              >
              > > Hi Rod,
              > >
              > > Thanks for the speedy answer and helpful tips. So, I shouldn't
              be
              > > worried if the threads get
              > > oil on them? Do you think there might be long term effects from
              oil
              > > getting on the threads
              > > from repeated oiling? I don't know why this worries me so much!
              > >
              > > thanks,
              > >
              > > Immanuel

            • James Bolger

                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 2, 2008
                   Philippe,

                  I do not necessarily think Vaseline is bad for thread windings, only that it is less effective than thicker preparations.

                  If you have nothing else available at the moment, Vaseline will certainly work well and you will feel its nice sliding effect immediately, but in my experience, it tends to diffuse away from the surface of the threads  quickly, and needs to be re-applied more often than thicker greases, and it also allows the end of the thread to come free. Personally I like the end of the thread to be held down only by the grease, and never tucked in or knotted. With a thicker grease, all you need to do it to scratch across the threads a few times with your finger nail and suddenly the end of the thread pops up to allow a small length to be removed if necessary.

                  In America and Canada .... probably in France also .... you may buy for about one euro, a lifetime supply of excellent cork grease having just the correct softness. You might find this amusing, but it really works very well:

                  In hardware shops and stores, in the department that sells materials for plumbing and repairing or replacing new toilets, you may buy a round beeswax floor seal that is placed on the large drainage pipe at floor level. This seal material is beeswax, but thinned down to the perfect consistency for flute thread grease. You know that natural beeswax is hard. Well the toilet seal beeswax is just right, and ready to use on thread. It is shaped like a big thick ring, about 100mm diameter and 30mm by 30mm thick, so you get a large amount for your one euro!  Just take a small amount and fill your small cork grease box, and it will last a life time!

                  By the way, if you use a flute with a hollow end cap, such as Naust, Hotteterre, Bressan, etc., you may put a little cork grease inside the cap for easy access and storage?

                  Returning to Vaseline, it is a modern petroleum based grease which could be okay for wood, but we have not used it for as long as we have used natural beeswax, or  vegetable oil in flute bores, so we do not know how it might affect a valuable flute over centuries of use?

                  best

                  Rod

                  On Oct 2, 2008, at 7:07 AM, allaindu wrote:

                  Hi Rod
                  Can you explain us why vaseline is bad for greasing threads
                  thanks!
                  Philippe

                  --- In earlyflute@yahoogro ups.com, rod cameron <rcameron@.. .> wrote:

                  > Don't worry, Immanuel!
                  >
                  > Overplaying when a flute has not been used for a while is more
                  > important to be conscious of, and adjusting the threads by
                  unwinding
                  > a few cm if the socket feels too tight, or adding a little more
                  > thread if needed. Secure but not tight is what you want.
                  >
                  > print and read this for flute care background ....
                  >
                  > http://www.gruk. net/lars/ rodflutecare. html
                  >
                  > best
                  >
                  > Rod
                  >

                  > Roderick Cameron
                  > PO Box 438
                  > 10580 William street
                  > Mendocino, CA 95460, USA
                  > Studio: 707 937 0412
                  > Mobile: 707 813 7593
                  > Home: 707 937 9921
                  >

                  > On Oct 1, 2008, at 7:23 PM, immanueldavis wrote:
                  >
                  > > Hi Rod,
                  > >
                  > > Thanks for the speedy answer and helpful tips. So, I shouldn't
                  be
                  > > worried if the threads get
                  > > oil on them? Do you think there might be long term effects from
                  oil
                  > > getting on the threads
                  > > from repeated oiling? I don't know why this worries me so much!
                  > >
                  > > thanks,
                  > >
                  > > Immanuel

                • PJ Barina
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 2, 2008
                    My Weemaels flute came with a 'chunk' of joint grease (it must be
                    homemade, it looks as though it was wacked off a larger chunk). It
                    looks like beeswax, but is softer and rubs on the joints easily,
                    however, it does not have the beeswax scent, in fact it doesn't smell
                    like much of anything. It doesn't smell like parrafin wax,either. Does
                    anyone know what the recipe is for this concoction? It really is
                    superior to the lube from a music store. I know where I can get beeswax
                    for nuthin'; it would be interesting to try mixing up a batch. Regards,
                    Paul
                  • rod cameron
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 2, 2008

                      Click on this for a beeswax lipbalm that is good for the threads and for your emboouchure!

                      Roderick Cameron
                      PO Box 438
                      10580 William street
                      Mendocino,  CA 95460,  USA
                      Studio: 707 937 0412
                      Mobile: 707 813 7593
                      Home:  707 937 9921

                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 2, 2008
                        Hello James!

                        Thanks for this info, that could well be very useful!

                        I have written before about teflon tape, a different situation, but thought I would restate my warning again, as I see so many flutes with teflon tape on the windings.

                        Sure, it feels great, and nice and easy to assemble, because teflon cuts the friction down, but unwittingly it is allowing the player to have the feeling that the nice low fiction assemble is just right, when in fact the teflon tape is actually putting a large bursting stress on the socket, but fooling you into believing that the socket is not being stressed. It is very easy to burst a socket with teflon wrapped tenons, so y'all be careful out there!

                        best

                        Rod

                        Roderick Cameron
                        PO Box 438
                        10580 William street
                        Mendocino,  CA 95460,  USA
                        Studio: 707 937 0412
                        Mobile: 707 813 7593
                        Home:  707 937 9921

                        On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 10:18 PM, rod cameron <rcameron@mcn. org> wrote:

[...]

                      • Philippe Allain-Dupré
                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 2, 2008
                          Dear Rod
                          Many thanks for this full documented answer!
                          I will get this beeswax
                          But I will not put it in my Hotteterre flute cap, fearing difficult explanations to customs or to security in airports!
                          best
> [...]

                          > print and read this for flute care background ....
                          >
                          > http://www.gruk. net/lars/ rodflutecare. html
                          >
                          > best
                          >
                          > Rod
                          >

                          > Roderick Cameron
                          > PO Box 438
                          > 10580 William street
                          > Mendocino, CA 95460, USA
                          > Studio: 707 937 0412
                          > Mobile: 707 813 7593
                          > Home: 707 937 9921
                          >

                          > On Oct 1, 2008, at 7:23 PM, immanueldavis wrote:
                          >
                          > > Hi Rod,
                          > >
                          > > Thanks for the speedy answer and helpful tips. So, I shouldn't
                          be
                          > > worried if the threads get
                          > > oil on them? Do you think there might be long term effects from
                          oil
                          > > getting on the threads
                          > > from repeated oiling? I don't know why this worries me so much!

                        • javier vila
                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 2, 2008
                            Hello all

                            Are the recipes for thread good for cork too? Thank you.

                            Javier

[...]

                            __________ Información de NOD32, revisión 3478 (20080928) __________

                            Este mensaje ha sido analizado con NOD32 antivirus system
                            http://www.nod32.com
                          • James Roland Harris
                            Message 13 of 15 , Oct 2, 2008
                              Hi Paul,

                              It's a 50/50 mix of beeswax and sheep tallow.  I've never made any myself but that's what he uses.

                              On all other thread-joint flutes, unless they need the Weemaels 50/50 mix occasionally, I use organic lanolin.for the joints.  Nice and sticky. .

                              For re-lubricating the cork stopper after knocking it out for oiling or drying the headjoint thoroughly, I use Panef white silicone grease.

                              Art Benade rest his soul told me about it years ago:  Rub a healthy amount on the cork. Work it into the cork thoroughly and wipe the excess off lightly with a paper towel.  Then apply just a thin coating again.  It works for cork plugs and joints.  This keeps the joint moist without having to reapply it every time and thus guards again excessive build-up of the grease.

                              I presume also that working the grease thoroughly into the cork serves through frictional heat to open up the pores of the cork so more grease will be absorbed, in the initial application.

                              On the other matter.  I myself try to avoid getting oil on the threads.  But occasionally it happens.  Then I just take a rag or paper towel and gently wipe it off as quickly as possible.

                              Best,
                              Jim

                              PJ Barina wrote:

                              My Weemaels flute came with a 'chunk' of joint grease (it must be
                              homemade, it looks as though it was wacked off a larger chunk). It
                              looks like beeswax, but is softer and rubs on the joints easily,
                              however, it does not have the beeswax scent, in fact it doesn't smell
                              like much of anything. It doesn't smell like parrafin wax,either. Does
                              anyone know what the recipe is for this concoction? It really is
                              superior to the lube from a music store. I know where I can get beeswax
                              for nuthin'; it would be interesting to try mixing up a batch. Regards,
                              Paul

                            • Steven J Goldman, MD, PhD
                              Message 14 of 15 , Oct 2, 2008

                                Hello all!

                                Just a quick thumbs up for Rod’s suggestion. He mentioned it several years ago and I got one (it called a toilet gasket here in the States). It works wonderfully. It can also be used to tighten a loose joint in a pinch, until you have time to add some thread. And at the rate I’m going, I’d say it should last two-three lifetimes minimum. I’ve given some to several other baroque flute players and they now swear by it too. I find it as good as or better than any of the various homemade mixtures with beeswax. If you get one, just remember to ask for the wax type gasket, as they also make rubber ones that will be useless to you unless you develop a plumbing problem. You should also get a small container to carry a little in (if you don’t have a hollow end cap) because it is quite goopy and the whole gasket is not really very portable.

                                Steve Goldman

                                Message 15 of 15 , Oct 2, 2008
                                  Yes !!

                                  Roderick Cameron