doubler or tripler

  • mirandolarambored
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 2, 2007
      hello everyone,
      has someone some experience to share about changing flute
      (s)in the same concert?

      maybe a denner in the first half and a palanca in the second
      half?

      or maybe with 3 diffrent flutes and 2 or 3 pitches?

      i mean a real concert,not a demonstration of flutes.

      ciao,
      gino
    • Dan Colburn
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 2, 2007
        Many years ago, when doing a recital towards my degree
        I used a Meyer system, a reform flute, a wood Haynes
        and a silver Powell all on the same recital for
        different pieces and desired effects. This is before I
        obtained my first baroque flute. I would have probably
        gotten that into the mix had I owned one then.

        Dan

        --- mirandolarambored <ginomaini@...> wrote:

        > hello everyone,
        > has someone some experience to share about changing
        > flute
        > (s)in the same concert?
        >
        > maybe a denner in the first half and a palanca in
        > the second
        > half?
        >
        > or maybe with 3 diffrent flutes and 2 or 3 pitches?
        >
        > i mean a real concert,not a demonstration of flutes.
        >
        > ciao,
        > gino

        It takes approximately 1 hour to learn the fundamentals of flying. It takes a lifetime to know when not to fly....
      • lars
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 4, 2007
          Hi Gino,

          personally, I haven't found this to be practical, first from a pitch
          perspective (retune the haprsichord or other instruments), secondly from
          the perspective of being comfortable on the flute I'm performing on.

          I suppose, you could do a concert with keyboardist starting at
          a392/400/410/415, then move to classical pieces with string players at
          a430. The trouble with that one is that for me the flutes are all so
          different from one another that I won't feel like I'm playing one of the
          instruments as well as I can.

          so.. I just don't do it. I take at least a week, preferably two to
          switch between instruments (modern flute / baroque / classical). In the
          rare cases I don't have my week, I prepare wisely, then "deal with it"
          and do my best :)

          regards, --Lars

          --o-------o-o-o-'--o-o-o-,---
          --
          -- Lars Johannesson
          -- flutist & flute teacher:

          On Fri, 2 Nov 2007, mirandolarambored wrote:

          > hello everyone,
          > has someone some experience to share about changing flute
          > (s)in the same concert?
          >
          > maybe a denner in the first half and a palanca in the second
          > half?
          >
          > or maybe with 3 diffrent flutes and 2 or 3 pitches?
          >
          > i mean a real concert,not a demonstration of flutes.
          >
          > ciao,
          > gino

        • Boaz Berney
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 4, 2007

            Dear Gino,

            I personally find that I can only deal with two types of flutes at a time - it doesn't matter so much if one is baroque and the other renaissance, classical or romantic.  Even if I have to play different models of baroque flutes in on concert - two would be my maximum, if I am going to do it seriously.  So, to your suggestion - Denner in the first half and Palanca in the second, that could work, if you feel you know both instruments intimately and can play both perfectly in tune.  About different pitches - I would be very careful,  I think it could be done, perhaps for different parts of the concert, but it's not easy on your ears or the audience's.  In any case you should experiment with it before you do it - do a proper try out and find out for yourself.

            Good luck!

            Boaz

            --

            Boaz Berney - Historical flutes
            http://www.berneyflutes.com

            P.O.B 41140,  Jaffa,  61411 Israel
            Tel: +972-(0)3-6811233

          • Barbara Hopkins
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 5, 2007
              Hello Gino,

              I rarely play only one flute on a recital. I find the
              variations in color to be very interesting. I limit
              myself to 2 or 3 different flutes--more than this
              starts to sound like a flute demo. FYI, I play modern
              flute, piccolo, alto flute, early American flutes, and
              Baroque flute. The pitch differences need to be
              thought through carefully. My experience is that the
              audience can deal with pitches rising more easily than
              pitches getting lower. I start each half with the
              lowest tuned instrument, and proceed to the higher
              instrument. Also, I play Baroque flute with Baroque
              guitar, harpsichord, or solo, and then play modern
              instruments with piano or modern guitar. That way,
              each instrument can stay tuned to one pitch.

              Hope that is helpful.

              Barbara

              Barbara Hopkins, DMA
              Flute professor, University of Connecticut
              Asst. principal flute, Hartford Symphony
              website: www.BarbaraHopkins.com

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Kim Pineda
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 5, 2007
                I do this all the time in chamber music concerts, and even throw
                recorder into the mix on occasion.

                I don't do it in orchestral concerts.

                In a concert coming up in December there will be Renaissance flute,
                recorders, and Baroque flute (a Denner copy).

                In April at the Texas Tech Flute Festival I played a 6-holed
                cyllindrical flute at 415 for a piece by Bassano, the switched to a
                Hotteterre copy at 392 for one of the Boismortier suites
                (unaccompanied), then to a Denner copy for the JSB Partita, then
                ended with a Palanca copy for the CPE Bach Hamburger sonata. Was only
                a wee bit stressful because it was relatively early in the day to
                play a concert.

                I practice on most of the baroque flutes I own on a regular basis,
                often learning a piece on one flute when I'm planning to play the
                piece in a concert on a different flute. Keeps your ears and lips at
                attention.

                kp

                --- In earlyflute@yahoogroups.com, "mirandolarambored"
                <ginomaini@...> wrote:

                > hello everyone,
                > has someone some experience to share about changing flute
                > (s)in the same concert?
                >
                > maybe a denner in the first half and a palanca in the second
                > half?
                >
                > or maybe with 3 diffrent flutes and 2 or 3 pitches?
                >
                > i mean a real concert,not a demonstration of flutes.
                >
                > ciao,
                > gino

              • James Roland Harris
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 5, 2007
                  Hi Gino,

                  I've played concerts on several different flutes and recorders. The experience can be exciting, and the result can be very satisfying. But it can be a challenge, and depends on whether the situation permits a more experimental stance. E.g., college, university, festival settings are different from church, wedding, certain chamber music settings and services!  Bach ran into a similar problem, remember?

                  The workability of doing it depends in my opiinion alot on the music, pitches, and flutes involved, not to mention the audience you're playing for.  Some instruments may be more compatible with each other than others, and alot depends on how "automatic"  the embouchure adjustments can be made.

                  Also, are you playing music in a single concert that demands different flutes?  That is, Telemann, CPE Bach, French music (earlier or later), Renaissance, Baroque, Classical, or later, on a single occasion? Are both keyless, one-key or keyed flutes involved?  How many different tonalities and fingering systems are involved? Why complicate your situation unless it's really necessary or there is a point to doing so?

                  The question always is -- what are the musical reasons for switching instruments?

                  I would agree with Boaz that also one wants to consider the factor of pitch.  I myself usually aim to set up tonal relationships for the audience. That aim can be affected by the pitches of instruments you use.  Is the audience you're playing for one whose repertoire and educational level can accommodate the tonal and affective shifts you're inviting them to experience?   Will they welcome certain challenges that may ask them to bend their sensibilities beyond what they usually hear, or will they respond more strongly to more confined tonal relationships, and a more closely defined musical experience - or something like that?

                  Hope these thoughts are of some help.

                  Jim

                  mirandolarambored wrote:

                  hello everyone,
                  has someone some experience to share about changing flute
                  (s)in the same concert?

                  maybe a denner in the first half and a palanca in the second
                  half?

                  or maybe with 3 diffrent flutes and 2 or 3 pitches?

                  i mean a real concert,not a demonstration of flutes.

                  ciao,
                  gino

                • manoeltraverso
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 6, 2007
                    I did several times as a conference-concert explaining the evolution
                    of the transverse flute (for an audience of boehm flutists!!)and it
                    is crazy... It was only solo repertoire, van eyck with the
                    renaissance-440,hotteterre's airs and partita with an hotteterre
                    flute-392, telemann with an oberlender-415, cpe's solo sonata with a
                    grenser-415 and kuhlau with a standar grenser with 10 keys-430.
                    besides the different pitches, wich is really difficult, i felt quite
                    uncomfortable with the different resistance of each flute (as you are
                    playing higher pitch you feel as if your sound is going out of
                    place...
                    but with a palanca and a denner i donĀ“t think it will be a problem.
                    good luck.
                    greetings.
                    manoel