contemporary compositions/composers for the baroque transverse flute

  • Céline Fosse
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 1, 2007
      Hello,

      I'm searching for contemporary compositions or composers for the baroque transverse flute. Do you have any title/name to give to me ? I am making a list of modern works specially composed for the baroque transverse flute in my master thesis and I found only 3 pieces !

      DUFEUTRELLE Sophie, Couleur neige pour flûte traversière solo ou traverso solo, Paris, Notissimo, ref. 020940Z1, Pièce imposée au concours CMF 2004 pour le niveau Pré-Sup. La pièce est conçue autour d'un son non vibré - le seul vibrato "autorisé" est fait de bisbigliandi (trilles de couleurs) et de flattements - c'est un paysage calme et tranquille aux contours estompés par la neige (vibrato, doigtés spéciaux, voix et flûte). Elle peut être jouée amplifiée.

      DUHAMEL (Antoine), Flûte, Flûte, Flûte, Ô my Lord, Fantaisie pour trois flûtistes et sept instruments (3 grandes flûtes, flûte en sol, flûte basse, piccolo, traverso), Paris, Notissimo, ref 009601z1, œuvre créée en 1985 à Villeurbanne par ses dédicataires : Sophie Dufeutrelle (flûte Boehm), Serge Saïtta (flûte traversière baroque) et Bernard Vignal (flûtes jazz)

      MEDIONI (Guillaume), Ayr Caccia, pour flûte ou traverso et dispositif électro-acoustique, Paris, Notissimo, ref  021900Z1, œuvre créée pour des élèves de l'ENM de Villeurbanne, dans la classe de composition.

      Thank you very much in advance.

      Céline Dulac

      ______________
      Céline Dulac

      5 rue Anselme
      69317 Lyon cedex 04 FRANCE
      0(033)6 60 97 19 69
      http://www.concerto-angelico.com
      http://www.musiciens-cythere.org
    • Larry Snyder
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 1, 2007
        Céline,

        John Thow's "To Invoke the Clouds" (Berkeley, CA: Fallen Leaf Press,
        1995) was written and published in two versions, one for solo Baroque
        flute and the other for two otherwise unaccompanied Baroque flutes. It
        is a clearly contemporary piece, based on a Hopi flute prelude, with the
        few additional notational symbols clearly explained in the preface. It was
        written to honor Luciano Berio on his 70th birthday, and is, unfortunately,
        now out of print.

        Larry Snyder
        Davis, CA

        --Original Message Text---
        From: Céline Fosse
        Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2007 10:36:45 +0200

        Hello,

        I'm searching for contemporary compositions or composers for the baroque transverse flute. Do you have
        any title/name to give to me ? I am making a list of modern works specially composed for the baroque
        transverse flute in my master thesis and I found only 3 pieces !
      • David F. Place
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 1, 2007
          On Sep 1, 2007, at 10:02 AM, Larry Snyder wrote:

          > Céline,
          >
          > John Thow's "To Invoke the Clouds" (Berkeley, CA: Fallen Leaf Press,
          > 1995)

          Shortly before he died last spring, I was corresponding with John
          Thow. He mentioned that he had recently completed a set of six duets
          for Baroque Flutes using quarter tones. I don't know what the status
          is. He didn't mention if they were going to be published. Possibly
          you could contact the music department at University of California,
          Berkeley to find out how to reach the executor of his estate. It'll
          be worth the trouble. His music is beautiful.

          Cheers,
          David

          ___________________
          (---o-------o-o-o---o-o-o----(
          David F. Place
          mailto:d@...
        • Larry Snyder
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 1, 2007
            David,

            I'm sorry to hear of John's death. I wrote him perhaps four years
            ago about the two-flute version of "To Invoke the Clouds." The publisher
            had given me her remaining copy of the solo version after she closed the
            press, and I was interested to see the other. He sent me a copy within
            days and refused even to consider any reimbursement.

            Do you know anything else about the quarter-tone pieces? Are the
            intermediate pitches achieved with non-standard fingerings or by two
            flutes pitched differently, say 415 and 402 Hz?

            Larry Snyder
            Davis, CA

            >> > John Thow's "To Invoke the Clouds" (Berkeley, CA: Fallen Leaf Press,
            >> > 1995)
            >>
            >> Shortly before he died last spring, I was corresponding with John
            >> Thow. He mentioned that he had recently completed a set of six duets
            >> for Baroque Flutes using quarter tones. I don't know what the status
            >> is. He didn't mention if they were going to be published. Possibly
            >> you could contact the music department at University of California,
            >> Berkeley to find out how to reach the executor of his estate. It'll
            >> be worth the trouble. His music is beautiful.
            >>
            >> Cheers,
            >> David
          • Reet & Taavi-Mats
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 1, 2007
              Dear Céline,

              There is one very new piece where traverso is involved. It's written by an Estonian composer Tõnu Kõrvits. The piece is called The Bird Almighty and is written in 2007 for one festival here in Estonia. We played it in June in Türi Spring Festival. The piece is written for mezzo-soprano, traverso, cello and harpsichord. Very nice music! The piece is not printed, but if you are interested to get music, I think it's good to contact with composer. Here is the web-page where you could get some more information about him:

              I don't have his e-mail at the moment, but if you need it, I could get it for you.

              Good luck with your master thesis!

              Reet Sukk

              P. S. Isn't there any pieces written for traverso by H-M Linde? I might be wrong...

              R.S.

              ____________ __
              Céline Dulac

              5 rue Anselme
              69317 Lyon cedex 04 FRANCE
              0(033)6 60 97 19 69
              http://www.concerto -angelico. com
              http://www.musicien s-cythere. org

            • Barbara Hopkins
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 1, 2007
                Dear Celine,

                There is also "To Invoke the Clouds" for solo flute,
                by the late American composer John Thow. The original
                is for Baroque flute, although he did make a version
                for modern flute.

                Barbara Hopkins

                Barbara Hopkins, DMA
                Flute professor, University of Connecticut
                Asst. principal flute, Hartford Symphony
                website: www.BarbaraHopkins.com

                http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/
              • rod cameron
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 1, 2007
                  Hello Céline!

                  Yes, a fine piece by gifted composer, John Thow. Sadly, John died suddenly just a few months ago. He was composer in residence at UC Berkeley, California, and a very dear friend who would visit me regularly.

                  He played both modern and baroque flutes, and was specially interested in the characteristics of the traverso. He also has written English Horn concertos and many other piece.

                  The piece for one or two traversi is called "To Invoke the Clouds" and is inspired by an old Hopi American Native rain song.

                  It is available in versions for one or tow flutes.

                  I have heard it played beautifully  by Mindy Rosinfeld and Stephen Schultz, with the composer present, so they would be the players to give you information as to where you can a copy. Their emails are:

                  Please also ask Robert Claire about new pieces for traverso:

                  best wishes!

                  Rod Cameron

                  Roderick Cameron
                  PO Box 438
                  10580 Wiliam street
                  Mendocino,  CA 95460,  USA
                  Studio: 707 937 0412
                  Mobile: 707 813 7593
                  Home:  707 937 9921

                  On Sep 1, 2007, at 1:36 AM, Céline Fosse wrote:

[...]

                • James Roland Harris
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 1, 2007
                    Hi Céline,

                    There is an interesting 1990 CD on the Wergo label by Hans-Martin Linde, where he plays his own
                    compositions, including the 1988 Anspielungen, written for traverso solo, along with other works such as his 1960 Trio for recorder, Böhm flute, and harpsichord.

                    Debussy's Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune has also been done on traverso.

                    On Claire Soubeyran's web site, there is an arresting quote from Berlioz about the flute.  You can find it in the discussion of her Classical Kirst flute by clicking on the link
                    (doigtés de fourche).  Go to <http://www.soubeyranflutes.com/fabri/kirstclass.htm>.

                    Jim

                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 1, 2007
                      Céline!

                      Ty also composer,   Robert Strizich  , Los Angles...google him.

                      he is a baroque guitar palayer and composer, and Robert Claire keeps in touch with him.

                      I belive he has written for traverso

                      best

                      Rod

                      Roderick Cameron
                      PO Box 438
                      10580 Wiliam street
                      Mendocino,  CA 95460,  USA
                      Studio: 707 937 0412
                      Mobile: 707 813 7593
                      Home:  707 937 9921

                      On Sep 1, 2007, at 9:56 AM, rod cameron wrote:

[...]

                    • hmjdb41
                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 1, 2007
                        Hi Céline,

                        Last year I was looking also for some contemporary music for
                        baroque flute. I give you the list of works I came across.

                        traverso solo:
                        1. Hans-Martin Linde: "Anspielungen" (1988) Schott FTR 160
                        2. Thomas Reiner: "Oblique" (1994) Austr. Mus. Centr.
                        3. Otto Luening: Three Fantasias for solo baroque flute

                        2 traverso's:
                        1. Jack Beeson "Fantasy, ditty and fughettas" (1992) Peters 67724
                        2. Jean-Marie Rens "Mémoires" pour traverso et traverso obligé
                        (1999) CeBeDem Brussel
                        3. Ezra Laderman: Epigrams and Canons for 2 baroque flutes

                        traverso and harpsichord:
                        1. Lionel Nowak: Suite for baroque flute and harpsichord (1989)
                        (maybe not published)

                        traverso and other instruments:
                        1. Willem Ceuleers "Triosonate nr. 4 in e voor altblokfluit in G,
                        traverso, cello en clavecimbel, opus 475" (1998) Andante,
                        Allegro, Adagio, Vivace (not published)
                        2. Willem Ceuleers "Triosonate nr. 8 in D voor flûte traversière,
                        flûte de voix, viole de gambe et clavecin, opus 648" (2005)
                        Prélude, Allemande, Courante, Loure, Gavotte - Duo, Passacaille:
                        (not published)
                        3. Willem Ceuleers "Concerto grosso nr. 3 in h voor sixth flute,
                        traverso, 2 oboi d'amore, 2 violen,
                        2 altviolen, 2 cello's, contrabas en clavecimbel, opus 650"
                        (2005)
                        Allegro, Andante, Vivace (not published)

                        --- In earlyflute@yahoogroups.com, Céline Fosse <c.fosse@...> wrote:

                        > Hello,
                        >
                        > I'm searching for contemporary compositions or composers for the
                        baroque
                        > transverse flute. Do you have any title/name to give to me ? I am
                        making
                        > a list of modern works specially composed for the baroque
                        transverse
                        > flute in my master thesis and I found only 3 pieces !
                        >
                        > DUFEUTRELLE Sophie, /Couleur neig//e pour flûte traversière solo
                        ou
                        > traverso solo/, Paris, Notissimo, ref. 020940Z1, Pièce imposée au
                        > concours CMF 2004 pour le niveau Pré-Sup. La pièce est conçue
                        autour
                        > d'un son non vibré - le seul vibrato "autorisé" est fait de
                        bisbigliandi
                        > (trilles de couleurs) et de flattements - c'est un paysage calme
                        et
                        > tranquille aux contours estompés par la neige (vibrato, doigtés
                        > spéciaux, voix et flûte). Elle peut être jouée amplifiée.
                        >
                        > DUHAMEL (Antoine), /F//lûte, Flûte, Flûte, Ô my Lord/, /Fantaisie
                        pour
                        > trois flûtistes et sept instruments (3 grandes flûtes, flûte
                        en /sol/,
                        > flûte basse, piccolo, traverso),/ Paris, Notissimo, ref 009601z1,
                        oeuvre
                        > créée en 1985 à Villeurbanne par ses dédicataires : Sophie
                        Dufeutrelle
                        > (flûte Boehm), Serge Saïtta (flûte traversière baroque) et Bernard
                        > Vignal (flûtes jazz)
                        >
                        > MEDIONI (Guillaume), /Ayr Caccia/, pour /flûte ou traverso et
                        dispositif
                        > électro-acoustique/, Paris, Notissimo, ref 021900Z1, oeuvre créée
                        pour
                        > des élèves de l'ENM de Villeurbanne, dans la classe de composition.
                        >

                        > Thank you very much in advance.
                        >
                        > Céline Dulac
                        >
                        > ______________
                        > Céline Dulac
                        > 5 rue Anselme
                        > 69317 Lyon cedex 04 FRANCE
                        > 0(033)6 60 97 19 69
                        > http://www.concerto-angelico.com
                        > http://www.musiciens-cythere.org

                      • Genevieve Blanchard
                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 1, 2007
                          Céline,

                          Here is an Israeli work:

                          SCHIDLOWSKY, Leon (born1931)
                          Arabesque (1991) for Baroque flute
                          (Cat. No. IMI - 6912 )

                          Available through the Israel Music Institute

                          All the best,
                          Genevieve Blanchard

                            Message 13 of 15 , Sep 2, 2007

                              Hi Céline,

                              In addition to the works mentioned by other members, I know of two compositions for baroque flute by Italo-Australian composer Claudio Pompili that you may like to add to your list.

                              The first is Lo specchio del fiore  for solo baroque flute (1988); I believe this was written for  Canadian traverso player Elissa Poole. The other work is Lo spazio stellato si riflette in suoni  (1990), for baroque flute and percussion. This was composed expressly for  Poole, who gave its first performance in Toronto.

                               For further information on Pompili and these pieces you can go to http://www.amcoz.com.au/composers/composer.asp?id=236 where you will also find links and the composer's email address.

                              For the record, I myself wrote a Concerto in re maggiore for 3 traversi and continuo a few years back. However it is in strict baroque style and makes no attempt to exploit the unfathomed resources of the instrument, as do most of the contemporary works listed by other contributors.

                              Best wishes,

                              Michael

                              --- In earlyflute@yahoogroups.com, Céline Fosse <c.fosse@...> wrote:

                              > Hello,
                              >
                              > I'm searching for contemporary compositions or composers for the baroque
                              > transverse flute. Do you have any title/name to give to me ? I am making
                              > a list of modern works specially composed for the baroque transverse
                              > flute in my master thesis and I found only 3 pieces !
                              >
                              > DUFEUTRELLE Sophie, /Couleur neig//e pour flûte traversière solo ou
                              > traverso solo/, Paris, Notissimo, ref. 020940Z1, Pièce imposée au
                              > concours CMF 2004 pour le niveau Pré-Sup. La pièce est conçue autour
                              > d'un son non vibré - le seul vibrato "autorisé" est fait de bisbigliandi
                              > (trilles de couleurs) et de flattements - c'est un paysage calme et
                              > tranquille aux contours estompés par la neige (vibrato, doigtés
                              > spéciaux, voix et flûte). Elle peut être jouée amplifiée.
                              >
                              > DUHAMEL (Antoine), /F//lûte, Flûte, Flûte, Ô my Lord/, /Fantaisie pour
                              > trois flûtistes et sept instruments (3 grandes flûtes, flûte en /sol/,
                              > flûte basse, piccolo, traverso),/ Paris, Notissimo, ref 009601z1, oeuvre
                              > créée en 1985 à Villeurbanne par ses dédicataires : Sophie Dufeutrelle
                              > (flûte Boehm), Serge Saïtta (flûte traversière baroque) et Bernard
                              > Vignal (flûtes jazz)
                              >
                              > MEDIONI (Guillaume), /Ayr Caccia/, pour /flûte ou traverso et dispositif
                              > électro-acoustique/, Paris, Notissimo, ref 021900Z1, oeuvre créée pour
                              > des élèves de l'ENM de Villeurbanne, dans la classe de composition.
                              >

                              > Thank you very much in advance.
                              >
                              > Céline Dulac
                              >
                              > ______________
                              > Céline Dulac
                              > 5 rue Anselme
                              > 69317 Lyon cedex 04 FRANCE
                              > 0(033)6 60 97 19 69
                              > http://www.concerto-angelico.com
                              > http://www.musiciens-cythere.org

                            • Kim Pineda
                              Message 14 of 15 , Sep 2, 2007
                                Here are a few:

                                Roupen Shakarian composed "Out in Left Field" in 2003 for the Baroque
                                Northwest ensemble.

                                Matthias Maute (b. 1963) composed "Rouge" in 2004 for the Baroque
                                Northwest ensemble.

                                Tim Risher composed "Arounds" in 2005 for the Baroque Northwest ensemble.

                                All of these pieces have the instrumentation of traverso, viola da
                                gamba (7-string), baroque guitar, and theorbo.

                                Please contact me directly and I can give you more details.

                                Kim Pineda

                                Seattle, Washington.

                                --- In earlyflute@yahoogroups.com, Céline Fosse <c.fosse@...> wrote:

                                > Hello,
                                >
                                > I'm searching for contemporary compositions or composers for the
                                baroque
                                > transverse flute. Do you have any title/name to give to me ? I am
                                making
                                > a list of modern works specially composed for the baroque transverse
                                > flute in my master thesis and I found only 3 pieces !
                                >
                                > DUFEUTRELLE Sophie, /Couleur neig//e pour flûte traversière solo ou
                                > traverso solo/, Paris, Notissimo, ref. 020940Z1, Pièce imposée au
                                > concours CMF 2004 pour le niveau Pré-Sup. La pièce est conçue autour
                                > d'un son non vibré - le seul vibrato "autorisé" est fait de
                                bisbigliandi
                                > (trilles de couleurs) et de flattements - c'est un paysage calme et
                                > tranquille aux contours estompés par la neige (vibrato, doigtés
                                > spéciaux, voix et flûte). Elle peut être jouée amplifiée.
                                >
                                > DUHAMEL (Antoine), /F//lûte, Flûte, Flûte, Ô my Lord/, /Fantaisie pour
                                > trois flûtistes et sept instruments (3 grandes flûtes, flûte en /sol/,
                                > flûte basse, piccolo, traverso),/ Paris, Notissimo, ref 009601z1,
                                oeuvre
                                > créée en 1985 à Villeurbanne par ses dédicataires : Sophie Dufeutrelle
                                > (flûte Boehm), Serge Saïtta (flûte traversière baroque) et Bernard
                                > Vignal (flûtes jazz)
                                >
                                > MEDIONI (Guillaume), /Ayr Caccia/, pour /flûte ou traverso et
                                dispositif
                                > électro-acoustique/, Paris, Notissimo, ref 021900Z1, oeuvre créée pour
                                > des élèves de l'ENM de Villeurbanne, dans la classe de composition.
                                >

                                > Thank you very much in advance.
                                >
                                > Céline Dulac
                                >
                                > ______________
                                > Céline Dulac
                                > 5 rue Anselme
                                > 69317 Lyon cedex 04 FRANCE
                                > 0(033)6 60 97 19 69
                                > http://www.concerto-angelico.com
                                > http://www.musiciens-cythere.org

                              • persimon57
                                Message 15 of 15 , Sep 5, 2007
                                  Dear Celine,

                                  You might also look at:

                                  Christopher Fox.
                                  The Science of Freedom (1990) 20' _baroque flute, baroque violin, percussion,
                                  harpsichord, viola da gamba, _Commissioned by Elissa Poole for Les Coucous Bénévoles
                                  with funds from the Arts Council of Great Britain and premiered by them in the Music
                                  Gallery, Toronto on 15 December 1990. Recording for Metier with Sirinu scheduled for
                                  future release. The title is a quotation from Joseph Beuys.

                                  Jo Thomas
                                  Less (2004) baroque flute & electroacoustic sound
                                  Written for Amara `Amy' Guitry & Stephen Preston

                                  Simon Waters
                                  AfterImage (1993) baroque flute & electroacoustic sound
                                  Commissioned by Huddersfield Contemporary Music Festival for Dublin-based baroque
                                  flautist Eleanor Dawson, released on CD (Rossignol/Arts Council of Ireland)

                                  Fergus Johnson
                                  Morrigan (2000) baroque fl, hpscd and electronics
                                  for baroque flautist Eleanor Dawson, released on CD (Rossignol/Arts Council of Ireland)

                                  I'm working on another piece for baroque flute and live electronics at the moment.

                                  best wishes
                                  Simon Waters