Re: renaissance instrumentation

  • norman sams
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 23, 1998
      Kimberly: You might want to take a look at the following: A PRACTICAL GUIDE
      TO HISTORICAL PERFORMANCE: THE RENAISSANCE edited by Jeffery T. Kite-Powell,
      pub. by Early Music America 1989. MEDIEVAL AND RENAISSANCE MUSIC: A
      PERFORMER'S GUIDE by Timothy J. McGee, pub. Univ. of Toronto Press, 1985,
      1988. Also an article published in THE CONSORT vol.xxvii (1972) "The
      Renaissance Flute" by Joscelyn Godwin. Good luck...Norman Sams

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 4, 1998
          A first place to look is Anne Smith's chapter on the renaissance flute
          in John Solum, the Early Flute (OUP: 1992), and references therein.

          Cheers

          Les Green
        • Al Rice
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 4, 1998
            I suggest that you look at the work of Edmund Bowles, he has written several
            books dealing with inconography from the renaissance period. You will find
            his books in a well-stocked college library. Certainly you should consult
            the
            bibligraphies of the standard sources such as The New Grove Dictionary of
            Musical Instruments, but also you will find many sources listed in Music
            Index and especially RILM Index.

            Yours,

            Albert R. Rice
            Amer. Musical Instrument Society: http://www.amis.org