Dry or wet embouchure?

  • mthorn1348
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 2005
      Dear List Members,

      I find myself using a wet embouchure when I play the flute. I'd
      like to know what are the differences between dry and wet embouchures
      in terms of tone and execution.

      Thank you,

      Mitchell
    • musicaadrhenum
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 1, 2005
        I believe that Quantz favor's playing from the wet, inside of the lip.

        Jed

        --- In earlyflute@yahoogroups.com, "mthorn1348" <mthorn1348@y...> wrote:

        > Dear List Members,
        >
        > I find myself using a wet embouchure when I play the flute. I'd
        > like to know what are the differences between dry and wet embouchures
        > in terms of tone and execution.
        >
        > Thank you,
        >
        > Mitchell

      • Steve Mueller
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 1, 2005
          Boy do I feel ignorant. Even a Google search turned up no clues as to what this might mean. Is that "wet" as in "lick your lips before playing"? I don't think they would stay wet very long with all the air (even moist air) blowing through them. Besides, it it sounds much like how my lips got chapped in 1st grade (as in my mother's refrain: "Quit licking your lips!") Or is it something I can't even begin to imagine, at least not without some slight queasiness?

          Steve Mueller
          Austin, TX

        • bethowen@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 1, 2005
            In a message dated 12/1/2005 10:13:52 PM Eastern Standard Time, micawber@... writes:
            Boy do I feel ignorant. Even a Google search turned up no clues as to what this might mean. Is that "wet" as in "lick your lips before playing"? I don't think they would stay wet very long with all the air (even moist air) blowing through them. Besides, it it sounds much like how my lips got chapped in 1st grade (as in my mother's refrain: "Quit licking your lips!") Or is it something I can't even begin to imagine, at least not without some slight queasiness?
            Steve ............
                Actually, I used to laugh at a student that was continually licking her lips when she took a breath ............. that is, until Joshua Smith told her it was a good practice.  Not only did she keep her lips moist, but it was also a good means of releasing tension.
                Whether or not this is the "wet embouchure" Mitchell if referring to I'm not sure.  Certainly playing with the wet portions of the lips forming the aperture has it's benefits .......... especially when playing softly.  I would think that the "oo" shape produced when the wet part of the lips form the aperture would aid in focusing the air stream into that little tiny embouchure hole on the traverso, whereas the more spread embouchure when using the dry portions would tend to diffuse the air stream.
            Beth Owen

            SOUTHPORT STUDIOS

            Beth Owen, NCTM

            1218 Southport Dr.
            Columbus, OH   43235
              Phone:   (614) 326-1099       Mobile:  (614) 329-1099
              FAX:      (614) 442-1593            bethowen@...

            bowen@...

            Click here: Beth Owen, NCTM

            Click here: Studio One

            www.flutistonline.com/bethowen

          • mthorn1348
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 2, 2005
              Yes, by wet embouchure I mean moist lips. They do get dry after a
              little while and I can't seem to be able to lick them without having
              to lift my lips off the flute. I need to learn how to do it quickly
              while taking a breath.

              Thank all of you for your comments,

              Mitchell

              (mailto:bethowen@a...)
              (http://hometown.aol.com/bethowen/index.html)
              (http://www.flutistonline.com/bethowen)

            • wentz047@planet.nl
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 2, 2005

                Dear Mitchell,

                Thanks not at all what I meant, I cannot even imagine what that is like!

                Jed