Sonata I - JM Leclair

  • Luc Verhoeven
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 2, 2005
      Hi,

      I've just started on the Sonata I for Flute and BC by Jean-Marie
      Leclair and was wondering if anyone is familiar with this piece.
      It has a very traditional baroque form (Adagio-Allegro Moderato-Largo-
      Allegro) but in the Zimmermann edition (ZM 1129) there is a fifth
      part added. Since it's called 'Altro' I presume it should be played
      as an alternative for the last Allegro.
      The 'Altro' is set in E major contrary to the rest which is in E
      minor.

      Does anyone know more about the piece?
      There is a recording by Barthold Kuyken of this sonata where the last
      movement is played Allegro-Altro-Allegro. Is there any historical
      indication for this? (Not that I would doubt Barthold Kuyken's
      competence on the matter...)

      Luc Verhoeven
      www.users.skynet.be/fluiten
    • Boaz Berney
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 2, 2005
        Hi Luc,

        > I've just started on the Sonata I for Flute and BC by Jean-Marie
        > Leclair and was wondering if anyone is familiar
        with this piece.
        > It has a very traditional baroque form (Adagio-Allegro
        Moderato-Largo-
        > Allegro) but in the Zimmermann edition (ZM 1129) there
        is a fifth
        > part added. Since it's called 'Altro' I presume it should be
        played
        > as an alternative for the last Allegro.
        > The 'Altro' is
        set in E major contrary to the rest which is in E
        > minor.

        Is this Leclair first sonata from the second book?   The last movement of the of the piece is in two parts - Allegro in e minor and 'Altro' in E major.  It is not really a separate or an alternative movement, but a second half.  The practice of having an 'Altro' or 'Autre'   section is very common of dance suites - composers often paired Gavottes, Minuets, Airs and so on in parallel major /minor keys together.  The first of the pair is almost always repeated after the 'Autre', and although this is not indicated in the Leclair sonata, it would be common sense to do it, and finish the piece in the main key, E minor, rather then in E major.  I am sure that you as well as your audience, would be happy to be back 'home' in e minor after the adventurous E major section - it is quite a tricky one on the traverso (I am sure it is not exactly natural on the Violin either).

        b.t.w. in the facsimile edition i have (after the Paris 1728 edition ) the movements are marked Adagio-Allegro ma poco-Sarabande largo and Allegro-Altro.  i wonder if the Zimmermann edition is based on an other edition of the piece.

        Good luck, and enjoy it - it's a fun piece!

        Boaz

        Boaz Berney - Historical flutes
        http://www.berneyflutes.com

        P.O.B 41140,  Jaffa,  61411 Israel
        Tel: +972-(0)3-6811233

      • Luc Verhoeven
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 2, 2005
          --- In earlyflute@yahoogroups.com, "Boaz Berney" <boaz@b...> wrote:

          > Is this Leclair first sonata from the second book?

          It is.

          >The last movement of the of the piece is in two parts - Allegro in e
          minor and 'Altro' in E major. It is not really a separate or an
          alternative movement, but a second half. The practice of having
          an 'Altro' or 'Autre' section is very common of dance suites -
          composers often paired Gavottes, Minuets, Airs and so on in parallel
          major /minor keys together. The first of the pair is almost always
          repeated after the 'Autre', and although this is not indicated in the
          Leclair sonata, it would be common sense to do it, and finish the
          piece in the main key, E minor, rather then in E major. I am sure
          that you as well as your audience, would be happy to be back 'home'
          in e minor after the adventurous E major section - it is quite a
          tricky one on the traverso (I am sure it is not exactly natural on
          the Violin either).

          I did find it very awkward to finish in E major, so that's settled. I
          don't have an audience so it won't upset them

          > b.t.w. in the facsimile edition i have (after the Paris 1728
          edition ) the movements are marked Adagio-Allegro ma poco-Sarabande
          largo and Allegro-Altro. i wonder if the Zimmermann edition is based
          on an other edition of the piece.

          In the Zimmerman edition they are marked Adagio(Passacaglia) -
          Allegro Moderato - (Largo) - Allegro - Altro (meno mosso). Maybe
          there's another violin edition were the movements are thus indicated?

          > Good luck, and enjoy it - it's a fun piece!

          It is a nice piece. Very playable for me and yet challenging enough.
          Thanks Boaz.

          Luc