Bacon & Hart flute

  • Jim Garcia
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2004
      I recently found in the "junk" bin of a music shop, a boxwood, 1 key flute.
      All four joints are stamped in three lines, "BACON & HART", "PHILA.", and a
      picture of what looks to be a lyre. A quick search yielded 2 "Bacon & Hart"
      flutes in the Miller collection, both with multiple keys. The years for
      those flute were listed as 1813-1833, but I don't know if those are the
      years of Bacon & Hart or the years of those flutes manufacture.

      A check of Rick Wilson's site showed a 1 key flute that looks very similar
      to mine stamped Catlin & Bacon, Hartford Conn. Anybody know if it is the
      same Bacon? Anybody knows who Hart was? Anybody know anything more about
      Bacon & Hart?

      The flute's in bad shape, but I only paid $20 for it. Bottom joint and foot
      joint are fine, except for needing new thread and a pad for the key, but the
      head joint and the upper joint have multiple cracks and are "fused"
      together. Anyone know of anyone who's into flute repair and restoration?
      Thanks for any help.
      Jim
    • Terry McGee
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2004
        At 06:02 AM 2/11/2004, you wrote:

        I recently found in the "junk" bin of a music shop, a boxwood, 1 key flute.
        All four joints are stamped in three lines, "BACON & HART", "PHILA.", and a
        picture of what looks to be a lyre.  A quick search yielded 2 "Bacon & Hart"
        flutes in the Miller collection, both with multiple keys.  The years for
        those flute were listed as 1813-1833, but I don't know if those are the
        years of Bacon & Hart or the years of those flutes manufacture.

        A check of Rick Wilson's site showed a 1 key flute that looks very similar
        to mine stamped Catlin & Bacon, Hartford Conn.   Anybody know if it is the
        same Bacon?  Anybody knows who Hart was?  Anybody know anything more about
        Bacon & Hart?

        NLI reveals that Allyn Bacon (1789-1864) was possibly an apprentice to Catlin circa 1812 and a partner between 1815-17, having been out on his own in the interim.  In 1820 a partnership with Abraham Hart, an engraver (music publishing).  Also circa 1833, with Weygandt, making "Cuddy's Improved" flutes.

        The flute's in bad shape, but I only paid $20 for it.  Bottom joint and foot
        joint are fine, except for needing new thread and a pad for the key, but the
        head joint and the upper joint have multiple cracks and are "fused"
        together.

        Heh heh, they can be fun!

        Anyone know of anyone who's into flute repair and restoration?

        I have a short list I'll send you.

        Terry

                          Terry McGee

                 61 Calder Crescent, Holder ACT 2611 Australia
                  Phone +61 (0)2 6288 8006, Fax +61 (0)2 6287 4263
                 mailto: terry@...
                http://www.mcgee-flutes.com

                  - wooden flutes for Irish and classical music
                 - wooden flute research, restorations and repairs
                  - maintenance, National Carillon.

        Assisted by the Commonwealth Government through the Australia Council, its arts funding and advisory body, and by the ACT Government through its Cultural Council.

      • sidglick@earthlink.net
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 2, 2004
          Danial Dietch.

[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          click here

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • sidglick@earthlink.net
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 2, 2004
            Danial Dietch.

          • davidmdahl@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 2, 2004
              Actually that should be Daniel Deitch. His contact info:

              (415)221-2735
              2607 Clement Street
              San Francisco, CA 94121

              Flute work that Daniel has done for me in the past was outstanding. I would have no reservation about recommending him for restoration.

              Best wishes,

              David Dahl
              Portland, Oregon

              Danial Dietch.