Telemann Fantasie

  • Michael Dunn
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 2, 2004
      The last movement of Telemann's 6th Fantasie is marked Spirituoso.
      I'm still uncertain what that means. If it was Spiritoso, that would
      be easy (spirited). So, is it an old spelling/typo. Am I supposed
      to play spiritually or spiritedly or eerily or ghostly or... ?

      Michael
    • Bob Christiansen
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 2, 2004
        --- Michael Dunn <mdunn@...> wrote:

        > The last movement of Telemann's 6th Fantasie is
        > marked Spirituoso.
        > I'm still uncertain what that means. If it was
        > Spiritoso, that would be easy (spirited). So, is it

        > an old spelling/typo?
        In the first place, spiritoso means "witty,
        humorous, jocular, spirituous or loaded with alcohol
        in Italian. But this is Italian spelled by a German.
        It was also a common alternative spelling in the 18th
        century.
        > Am I supposed to play spiritually or spiritedly or
        > eerily or ghostly or... ?
        Whatever you like. Spiritual is "spirituale".
        Eerily is "misterioso", "lugubre" or "fantastico".
        Ghostly is "spettrale", sometimes "religioso" and at
        other times "spiritoso". Confusing. no?
        Bob

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail