Boxwood?

  • Campbell Laura M
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2003
      Boxwood?

      OK,

      Anyone out there go to Boxwood?  How was it?  Ah, someday I hope to go to that.  I did, however, attend a workshop locally (Pittsburgh): the Mid East Workshop.  It is mostly recorder and viol, but they do have a Baroque flute class.  I did the Siciliana movement from Bach's Sonata in E flat (regardless of whether he acutally wrote it or not) for the master's class and survived.  Everybody was all supportive and said they couldn't believe I did that after playing Baroque flute for one year.  But hey -- if you don't step out of your comfort zone once in a while, how do you ever improve?  They had a new faculty member this year, James Young.  He is an unbelievably good recorder player -- at the faculty concert everyone was like, wow.  I believe he lives in the Netherlands during the year, and teaches at various workshops all over the US.  So maybe some of you have run across him.  He's a pretty good teacher too; I know I enjoyed his class.

      But I digress.  I was just curious if any of you famous flute makers out there, who went to Boxwood, will be publishing a post op for those of us who like to read about what we cannot afford to attend.

      Terry?

      Thanks,
      Laura

      DISCLAIMER:
      The information contained in this e-mail may be confidential and is intended solely for the use of the named addressee. Access, copying or re-use of the e-mail or any information contained therein by any other person is not authorized. If you are not the intended recipient please notify us immediately by returning the e-mail to the originator.(A)

    • Terry McGee
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2003
        At 05:37 AM 2/08/2003, you wrote:

        >But I digress.  I was just curious if any of you famous flute makers out there, who went to Boxwood, will be publishing a post op for those of us who like to read about what we cannot afford to attend.

        >Terry?

        Not moi this time, malheureusement - I was at Boxwood the previous year.  A great week of fun.  I didn't attend the classes (having too much fun measuring up and photographing the nice old flutes that were floating around!) but it was obvious that minds were being stretched in all directions.  Definitely an experience one needs at least once in a lifetime - and sooner rather than later as the greatest benefits probably come when you have acquired general control over the instrument but want some eye-openers on how to make the kind of music people actually want to listen to.

        As to the expense, they do have a limited number of working positions for people on a low budget.  Assisting in the kitchen - that kind of thing.  Not so luxurious as being pampered like the full-fare-paying attendees but I imagine it forms its own bonds so certainly worth inquiring about.

        Terry

                          Terry McGee

                 61 Calder Crescent, Holder ACT 2611 Australia
                  Phone +61 (0)2 6288 8006, Fax +61 (0)2 6287 4263
                 mailto: terry@...
                http://www.mcgee-flutes.com

                   - wooden flutes for Irish and classical music
                 - wooden flute research, restorations and repairs
                 - Irish music group, Ballyhooley
                 - maintenance of the National Carillon, Canberra

        Assisted by the Commonwealth Government through the Australia Council, its arts funding and advisory body, and by the ACT Government through its Cultural Council.