Re: [earlyflute] Re: Doo! [OT]

  • BknSky@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 1, 2003
      In a message dated 7/1/2003 12:57:06 AM Eastern Standard Time, fluteoftheroom@... writes:

      Well, I may not speak a "pure British English", but as a child, I too read
      IDYLLS OF THE KING and I certainly know what fewmets are.  The word is a
      variant of 'fumets' from French which is from the Latin 'fimus' - dung.  The
      connection with 'smoke' is tenuous but understandable.

      Well, here in NYC, there are a few Mets we'd like to trade, but that's another story (Europeans not required to understand the baseball reference)
      Gordon
    • Ardal Powell
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 1, 2003
        --- In earlyflute@yahoogroups.com, fluteoftheroom@i... wrote:

        > variant of 'fumets' from French which is from the Latin 'fimus' -
        dung.

        Dung--now there's a fine old word. The past tense of "doo", perhaps?

        Ardal

        Ardal Powell

        Author of _The Flute_ (Yale Musical Instrument Series, 2002) *

        http://TheBook.flutehistory.com

        Folkers & Powell, Makers of Historical Flutes *
        http://www.baroqueflute.com

        Full Circle Flute Co Ltd * http://www.headjoints.com
      • fluteoftheroom@infostations.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 1, 2003
          Quoting Ardal Powell <ardal@...>:

          > Dung--now there's a fine old word. The past tense of "doo",
          > perhaps

          Perhaps. But also the answer to "what's brown and sounds like a bell".

          But I digress...