Re: [earlyflute] Digest Number 514

  • David and Nina shorey
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2000
      Dear Daniel and the List,

      It is always a pleasure to write to this list, but this, like many other
      pleasures, often has to be deferred simply by the lack of extra hours in
      the day.

      Daniel asked about flutes by Hodsell, and mentioned that three of these
      rare flutes passed through his shop while he had this maker on his
      mind. This is a lovely example of the mystical element of this work.

      Unfortunately Hodsell does not show up in our database, nor do we have
      other examples of GW stamped under the keys. Furthermore, I do not
      recall seeing any of these flutes, although many instruments are
      forgettable. Sorry, Daniel!

      I am busy editing the record books of Louis Lot, which Strasser Marigaux
      has authorized us to publish. This was not the project that we began
      with here in the Lowlands, but it is extremely stimulating.

      We live on a houseboat in the Jordaan section of Amsterdam, and there is
      always a cold beer or hot coffee ready for visitors. Our two sons live
      here with us, as do three or four Bulgarian musicians. Clyde is now 13,
      and he plays bouzouki and guitar with the Bulgarian band. Clyde has
      performed all over Amsterdam and around Holland, and is already a
      respected musician, especially for his easy grasping of the Balkan
      rhythms.

      We send our best wishes to everyone on this list, and will be glad to
      see you if you visit this lovely city.

      David

      David & Nina Shorey, Antique Flutes
      Lijnbaansgracht t/o 55