Re: FS G.A. Rottenburgh flute in Guayacan wood A=415

  • satosius
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 1, 2012
      A happy new year keithfre and everyone!

      Does Guayacan mean "guaiacum officinale" ?
      It is called in japan "ebenum viride" id est green ebony.
      I think it is rare.
      How does the flute sound ?
      Does it sound like a granadilla or ebony flute?

      Best Regards,
      Satosius

      --- In earlyflute@yahoogroups.com, "keithfre" <keith.freeman@...> wrote:

      > I'm asking 400 euros (you'd be getting a hardwood flute for the price of a plastic one!). I live in the Netherlands, but will be in England the first week of January, so if anyone in the UK is interested I could send it from there (or you could come and try it just outside Cambridge).
      >
      > For more details, photos please send me a private e-mail.
      >
      > -Keith Freeman

    • Eva Aralikatti
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 1, 2012
        Guayacan is Lignum Vitae, Satosius ...
        Keith, I might be interested in your flute, would you mind sending me some pictures, please (info@...)? Thanks! :-)

        regards,
        Eva

        At 09:09 01.01.2012 +0000, you wrote:

        A happy new year keithfre and everyone!

        Does Guayacan mean "guaiacum officinale" ?
        It is called in japan "ebenum viride" id est green ebony.
        I think it is rare.
        How does the flute sound ?
        Does it sound like a granadilla or ebony flute?

        Best Regards,
        Satosius

        --- In earlyflute@yahoogroups.com, "keithfre" <keith.freeman@...> wrote:

        > I'm asking 400 euros (you'd be getting a hardwood flute for the price of a plastic one!). I live in the Netherlands, but will be in England the first week of January, so if anyone in the UK is interested I could send it from there (or you could come and try it just outside Cambridge).
        >
        > For more details, photos please send me a private e-mail.
        >
        > -Keith Freeman

        FluteFairy
        Werkstatt für Holzblasinstrumentenbau
        restoration & repair of vintage flutes

        Scottish / Cape Breton Music
        - Fiddle, Flute & Feet -

        Eva Aralikatti
        Winzererstraße 96
        D - 80797 München

        contact address in the UK:
        19 Smith Street
        Newark on Trent
        Nottinghamshire
        NG24 1RE
        Great Britain
        +44-(0)131-208 0904
        Skype: scotswind

      • laurent.cabot@free.fr
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 2, 2012
          Hi keith,

          Would it be possible to have some pictures ?
          Thanks in advance & happy new year !

          Laurent CABOT

          I'm asking 400 euros (you'd be getting a hardwood flute for the price of a plastic one!). I live in the Netherlands, but will be in England the first week of January, so if anyone in the UK is interested I could send it from there (or you could come and try it just outside Cambridge).

          For more details, photos please send me a private e-mail.

          -Keith Freeman

        • keithfre
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 9, 2012
            > Does Guayacan mean "guaiacum officinale" ?
            I presume it's this one:
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guayacan

            > How does the flute sound ?
            > Does it sound like a granadilla or ebony flute?
            I would say somewhere between boxwood and ebony.

            -Keith
          • keithfre
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 9, 2012
              > > Does Guayacan mean "guaiacum officinale" ?
              > I presume it's this one:
              > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guayacan

              According to the maker it's Caesalpinia paraguariensis.

              -Keith
            • Javier Gelati
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 9, 2012
                Hi All!
                I´ve got a traverso made in this wood, I like it very much, it sounds wonderful.
                There´s a site that speaks a little about the guayacán, you must translate from spanish.

                All the best!
                Javier Gelati

                "Lo inestable que el ser lleva en sí, impide la presencia en él de las cosas estables"

                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 11, 2012
                  Hi Keith,
                  Thanks for reply. Indeed, If it would sound somewhere between merit of of both wood, that means guaiacum maybe nice.
                  (By the way, in japan Buddhists in rare cases use rosaries made by using the wood. While buddhists use some years, they become green, so the wood may be called ebenum wiride).
                  Satosius

                  --- In earlyflute@yahoogroups.com, "keithfre" <keith.freeman@...> wrote:

                  > > Does Guayacan mean "guaiacum officinale" ?
                  > I presume it's this one:
                  > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guayacan
                  >
                  > > How does the flute sound ?
                  > > Does it sound like a granadilla or ebony flute?
                  > I would say somewhere between boxwood and ebony.
                  >
                  > -Keith

                • satosius
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 11, 2012
                    Hi, Eva,
                    Thanks, Lignum Vitae is a popular name of guaiacum..
                    How cheerful name the wood has!
                    Satosius

                    --- In earlyflute@yahoogroups.com, Eva Aralikatti <word.art.work@...> wrote:

                    > Guayacan is Lignum Vitae, Satosius ...
                    > Keith, I might be interested in your flute, would
                    > you mind sending me some pictures, please (info@...)? Thanks! :-)
                    >
                    > regards,
                    > Eva
                    >
                    > At 09:09 01.01.2012 +0000, you wrote:
                    > >
                    > >A happy new year keithfre and everyone!
                    > >
                    > >Does Guayacan mean "guaiacum officinale" ?
                    > >It is called in japan "ebenum viride" id est green ebony.
                    > >I think it is rare.
                    > >How does the flute sound ?
                    > >Does it sound like a granadilla or ebony flute?
                    > >
                    > >Best Regards,
                    > >Satosius
                    > >
                    > >--- In
                    > ><mailto:earlyflute%40yahoogroups.com>earlyflute@yahoogroups.com,
                    > >"keithfre" <keith.freeman@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > I'm asking 400 euros (you'd be getting a
                    > > hardwood flute for the price of a plastic
                    > > one!). I live in the Netherlands, but will be
                    > > in England the first week of January, so if
                    > > anyone in the UK is interested I could send it
                    > > from there (or you could come and try it just outside Cambridge).
                    > > >
                    > > > For more details, photos please send me a private e-mail.
                    > > >
                    > > > -Keith Freeman
                    > > >

                    > FluteFairy
                    > Werkstatt f�r Holzblasinstrumentenbau
                    > restoration & repair of vintage flutes