Re: [earlyflute] A Friesian flautist

  • FRANS AND KATE VAN LIERE
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 1, 2011
      Dear David,
      Thanks for being so gracious: I myself sometimes have nightmares about students digging up my publications of 25 years ago ...

      Your website is a great resource: thanks for the link! I also look forward to the Sammartini edition.

      The Wiarda estate in Goutum in no longer there, but the church is still standing as the image showed. I have a friend who lives in Friesland, near Leeuwarden, and he is a good continuo player. Perhaps I can convince him to bring Schickhardt "home" and perform some of his works in Goutum ... Some of the recorder sonatas work equally well on the traverso, and I am sure Schickhardt wouldn't have minded.

      Frans van Liere
      Grand Rapids, Michigan

      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 5, 2011
      Hello Jem

      thank you so much for your advise how to play 'Nicholson flutes' more in tune. As a baroque oriented traverso player (originally coming from the Boehm side) the 'Irish' blowing technique seems to be quite different. But you're right - it's certainly worth a try.

      I don't know how to send the pictures formerly published here to you individually. For not boring the rest of the group I made a new picture with the Foetisch flute accompanied by similar, but rather peculiar instruments out of my collection: from top to bottom the said cylindrical Foetisch 8 key flute; a no name (English made?) conical 6 keys fife in F; an unusual 3key cylindrical fife in F with some  double fingerholes, branded 'S.M Japan 102'; a Boehm system flute with cylindrical bore, but with ring keys usually known from the 1832 conical wooden Boehm flutes, branded 'Au diapason, 102 rue de Rennes, Paris' (most probably not the maker, but the dealer). Again this instrument is of rather simple make, but plays not too bad, very similar to an usual Boehm flute.

      Hope that this might interest you and perhaps also others of the group members.

      Best regards
      Ulrich